Exploring Spin in Different Dimensions: 2+1 and Beyond

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of the Dirac equation and its lagrangian in different dimensions. The question is raised about the behavior of spin in 2+1 dimensions and whether there are only two degrees of freedom instead of four. The response explains that while spin was initially studied in 3 spatial dimensions, it has been expanded to higher dimensions using Clifford algebra. In 2+1 dimensions, spin is modeled using 2 by 2 gamma matrices, while in higher dimensions, it is modeled using Clifford algebra.
Troy124
Dear PhysicsForum,

We have just treated the Dirac equation and its lagrangian during our QFT course, but we have only gone in depth in 3+1 dimensions.

My question is about what happens to spin in 2+1 dimensions. In 3+1 dimensions we have to use 4 by 4 gamma matrices, but in 2+1 dimensions we could use 2 by 2 gamma matrices, so would this imply two 'degrees of freedom' instead of four? I tried to calculate this by myself and I found out that you still have particles and anti-particles and you also have spin up and spin down. However, particles are always associated with spin up and anti-particles with spin down. Is this correct?

And what happens to spin in different dimensions? In 1+1 dimensions, for example, is there spin at all? Or what happens for higher dimensions than 3+1?

Regards,
Troy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Troy,

I'm not aware of anyone having studied what you seem to mean by 2+1 dimensions, that is, 2 spatial dimensions plus time. Initially spin was modeled in only 3 spatial dimensions because time was a variable outside of the spin mechanism, so to speak. Pauli refined that technique and developed his own variation of the Schrödinger equation with spin before Dirac. Remember that a two-component spinor effects spin in 3 spatial dimensions. It encodes 2 orthogonal vectors plus their orientation.

Clifford algebra is used for spin in higher dimensions. It can be regarded as a generalization of complex numbers and quaternions.

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Spin in Different Dimensions: 2+1 and Beyond

1. What is spin in physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles in quantum mechanics that describes their angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical version of the classical concept of rotational momentum.

2. How is spin represented in different dimensions?

In 2+1 dimensions, spin is represented by a two-dimensional vector. In higher dimensions, spin is represented by a matrix, with the number of rows and columns dependent on the dimension of space.

3. What are the differences between 2+1 dimensional and higher dimensional spin?

In 2+1 dimensions, spin is constrained to only two possible values, while in higher dimensions, spin can have multiple values. Additionally, in 2+1 dimensions, spin can be half-integer, while in higher dimensions it is always an integer or half-integer.

4. How does spin affect the behavior of particles?

Spin plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles, such as their interactions with other particles and their stability. It also affects the properties of materials, such as their magnetic and electrical properties.

5. Why is it important to explore spin in different dimensions?

Studying spin in different dimensions allows us to better understand the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science and quantum computing, where spin plays a crucial role.