Covariant Bilinears: Fierz Expansion of Dirac gamma matrices products

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fierz identities in a QFT course, where the teacher explains an intuitive method for using base matrices instead of the traces method. An example is given and the student attempts to write a solution using this method. However, it is noted that an extra term is needed for the solution to be complete.
PLuz

Homework Statement

So my question is related somehow to the Fierz Identities.

I'm taking a course on QFT. My teacher explained in class that instead of using the traces method one could use another, more intuitive, method. He said that we could use the fact that if we garante that we have the same number os indexes at each side of the expression and only use the base matrices (scalar, vector, pseudoscalar, tensor and axial) one would get the same results as using the traces method.

He then gave an example and advised for us to try with some other example.

I then tried to write [itex]\gamma_5\gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] using that method.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sigma^{\alpha\mu}=\frac{i}{2}[\gamma^{\alpha},\gamma^{\mu}][/itex]
[itex]\eta^{\alpha \mu}[/itex] is the minkowski metric and [itex]I_{4}[/itex] is the identity matrix in 4-spacetime.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt of a solution goes as:
[itex]\gamma_{5}\gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\mu}=
a*\eta^{\alpha\mu}I_{4}+b*\eta^{\alpha\mu}\gamma_{5}
+c*\sigma^{\alpha\mu}[/itex]

Is this correct?

If I contract [itex]\gamma_5\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\mu[/itex] with [itex]\eta_{\alpha \mu}[/itex] I get a=0 and b=1. But if the above expression is correct, how can I get [itex]c[/itex]?

Please, somebody help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definition of [itex]\sigma^{\alpha\mu}[/itex] and the anticommutation relations, you can see that there must be a term [itex]\gamma_5\sigma^{\alpha\mu}[/itex] in the expansion of [itex]\gamma_5\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\mu[/itex]. I guess we'd call this a pseudotensor term.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I thought so, but I have read that such term would not be independent of the other 16 matrices.

[itex]\sigma^{\alpha \mu}\gamma_{5}=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \beta}\sigma_{\nu \beta}[/itex]

,where [itex]\epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \beta}[/itex] is the Levi-Civita symbol

So the above expression for [itex]\gamma_{5}\gamma^{\alpha} \gamma^{\mu}[/itex] is incomplete and I should add a extra term
[itex]d* \epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \beta}\sigma_{\nu \beta}[/itex] ?

Last edited:
I got it now.

One as to add such term and then get the correct answer. For other readers with a similar doubt I got:

[itex]\gamma_{5}\gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\mu}=\eta^{\alpha\mu}I_{4}+\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\alpha\mu\nu\beta}σ_{\nu\beta}[/itex]

Which I believe, it's the correct answer.

I would say that your approach is correct. The Fierz expansion is a useful tool in simplifying expressions involving Dirac gamma matrices, and it is often used in quantum field theory calculations. In this case, you are trying to express \gamma_5\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\mu in terms of base matrices, and your attempt at a solution is a valid way to do so.

To determine the value of c, you can use the Fierz identities to simplify the expression further. For example, you can use the identity \gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu = \eta^{\mu\nu}I_4 + i\sigma^{\mu\nu} to rewrite the \sigma^{\alpha\mu} term in terms of \gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu. This will allow you to express the entire expression in terms of base matrices, and you can then use the Fierz identities again to simplify it further.

In summary, your approach is correct but you can use the Fierz identities to simplify the expression further and determine the value of c. Keep in mind that there may be different ways to express the same expression using base matrices, so your final answer may differ from others. As long as it satisfies the Fierz identities, it is a valid solution.

Related to Covariant Bilinears: Fierz Expansion of Dirac gamma matrices products

1. What are covariant bilinears in the context of Fierz expansion of Dirac gamma matrices products?

Covariant bilinears are mathematical objects used in the study of quantum field theory, specifically in the Fierz expansion of Dirac gamma matrices products. They are constructed by taking the product of two Dirac spinors and applying appropriate symmetrization and contraction operations. These objects play a crucial role in describing the interactions between particles in quantum field theory.

2. How are covariant bilinears related to the Fierz expansion of Dirac gamma matrices products?

In the Fierz expansion, covariant bilinears arise as the intermediate states between two products of Dirac spinors. This expansion allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory, and the presence of covariant bilinears reflects the underlying symmetries of the theory.

3. What is the significance of the Fierz expansion in quantum field theory?

The Fierz expansion is a powerful tool for calculating scattering amplitudes and understanding the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. It is also closely related to the concept of supersymmetry, which is a fundamental principle in theoretical physics.

4. How are the Fierz identities used in the Fierz expansion?

The Fierz identities are a set of equations that relate different covariant bilinears in the Fierz expansion. They are used to simplify the calculations involved in the expansion and to ensure that the resulting expressions are consistent with the underlying symmetries of the theory.

5. What are some applications of covariant bilinears and the Fierz expansion in physics?

Covariant bilinears and the Fierz expansion have many applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of quantum chromodynamics, supersymmetry, and the standard model of particle physics. They are also used in the development of new theories and models that aim to explain the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.