Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
Art said:
So it says. It means they have upheld the decision of the lower court which puts Palin back in the spotlight again as the inquiry will now continue.
Yeah, I just realized that it was referring to the original dismissal. I'm busy burning the house down. Who puts foil lined paper in a cardboard box for food so that when you stick it in the microwave it bursts into flames? Apparently Pizza Hut does.

HAH! Nowhere on the box does it say not to heat in microwave. I'M RICH!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Yeah, I just realized that it was referring to the original dismissal. I'm busy burning the house down. Who puts foil lined paper in a cardboard box for food so that when you stick it in the microwave it bursts into flames? Apparently Pizza Hut does.

:smile::smile::smile: I can see why health insurance is a big issue for you :biggrin:

Art said:
:smile::smile::smile: I can see why health insurance is a big issue for you :biggrin:
and Property and Casualty Insurance.

Evo said:
HAH! Nowhere on the box does it say not to heat in microwave. I'M RICH!
Yes, you can stick it back in the microwave now and finish off burning your house down - bye bye negative equity :biggrin:

Thank goodness I heard the popping and ran to the microwave, this was in less than 15 seconds

Attachments

• burning box.jpg
    burning box.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 344
I wonder if Palin's daughter will "change her mind" about getting married, after the election is over.

Art said:
Yes, you can stick it back in the microwave now and finish off burning your house down - bye bye negative equity :biggrin:

I wonder if that will start? Neighborhoods of overpriced houses in flames?

turbo-1 said:
Monday afternoon, at a luncheon celebrating a redesign of "The Atlantic", conservative David Brooks called Palin "a fatal cancer to the Republican party." He went on to explain that she is an anti-intellectual, who does not just oppose liberal ideas, but ideas in general.

Heh, I hadn't heard about that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
AP said:
Palin pre-empts state report, clears self in probe
By MATT APUZZO – 1 hour ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Trying to head off a potentially embarrassing state ethics report on GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report Thursday that clears her of any wrongdoing.

Sen. John McCain's running mate is the subject of a legislative investigation into whether she abused her power as governor by firing her public safety commissioner. The commissioner, Walter Monegan, says he was dismissed in July for resisting pressure from Palin's husband, Todd Palin, and numerous top aides to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, Palin's former brother-in-law.

Lawmakers are expected to release their own findings Friday. Campaign officials have yet to see that report — the result of an investigation that began before she was tapped as McCain's running mate — but said the investigation has falsely portrayed a legitimate policy dispute between a governor and her commissioner as something inappropriate.

"The following document will prove Walt Monegan's dismissal was a result of his insubordination and budgetary clashes with Governor Palin and her administration," campaign officials wrote. "Trooper Wooten is a separate issue."

Monegan said Thursday that he doesn't know what to expect from the legislative panel's own report.

"I just hope that the truth is figured out," Monegan told The Associated Press on Thursday. "That the governor did want me to fire him, and I chose to not. You just can't walk up to someone and say, 'I fire you.' He didn't do anything under my watch to result in termination."

Palin's critics say that shows she used her office to settle family affairs.

...McCain spokesman Taylor Griffin, who distributed the campaign's report, said it was written by the McCain-Palin campaign staff and based on public filings and Todd Palin's affidavit.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOTk11gvqDAgD0cY3i4WjI_2YOxwD93NEG1O1

This makes three reports.

1 by the Legislature due out later today.

1 by the McCain-Palin Campaign - the one just preemptively released that just flashed onto the radar.

1 by the appointed by the Governor Personnel Board that is conducting some closed door investigation - who if they see Monegan was fired because he crossed Palin, would surely have no cause to fear for their own positions.

Hard too see how Palin can claim innocence on this. By his own admission her husband told Monegan to fire Wooten because of the way he was treating the Palin family.

As he was speaking with the authority of the governer's office it is inconceivable she was unaware of this especially as in his affidavit her husband spoke of how he and his wife were best friends who spoke about everything. Monegan refused to fire Wooten and next thing he is fired.

It would be very difficult not to see a connection between the two events but even if by some leap of the imagination Monegan's sacking was purely coincidental it still leaves the fact that governer Palin and her aides abused the power of her office to pursue a personal vendetta against her ex-brother-in-law.

Art said:
Hard too see how Palin can claim innocence on this. By his own admission her husband told Monegan to fire Wooten because of the way he was treating the Palin family.

As he was speaking with the authority of the governer's office it is inconceivable she was unaware of this especially as in his affidavit her husband spoke of how he and his wife were best friends who spoke about everything. Monegan refused to fire Wooten and next thing he is fired.

It would be very difficult not to see a connection between the two events but even if by some leap of the imagination Monegan's sacking was purely coincidental it still leaves the fact that governer Palin and her aides abused the power of her office to pursue a personal vendetta against her ex-brother-in-law.

The claim of course is that he wasn't fired, he was offered a "new position".

Of course this doesn't wash with the 25 pages of self serving statements from Todd and the additional pages of reports from a private detective indicating the level of obsessiveness with which Wooten was investigated by the Palins. Those reports went to both Sarah Palin and Todd.

Given the context of their adversarial relationship with the ex-brother-in-law, and their apparent interest to involve themselves in Sarah sister's divorce, I'd say there surely was pressure to interfere in the internal operation of Monegan's department to specifically penalize Wooten beyond what the department and the Police Union had already worked out with respect to his violations of conduct.

The additional demand to know the source of the car seat report sounds like the Palins completely misunderstood Monegan's intent in alerting her to the report in the first place. Taken together I think Troopergate paints a disturbing picture of pettiness and misuse of office.

The best story I've seen of the AIP that Palin palled around with (not that her supporters would care), including a clip of an interview with former AIP chairman Mark Chryson:
So long as Alaska remained under the boot of the federal government, said Chryson, the AIP had to stand on guard to stymie a New World Order. He invited a Salon reporter to see a few items inside his pickup truck that were intended for his personal protection. “This here is my attack dog,” he said with a chuckle, handing the reporter an exuberant 8-pound papillon from his passenger seat. “Her name is Suzy.” Then he pulled a 9-millimeter Makarov PM pistol — once the standard-issue sidearm for Soviet cops — out of his glove compartment. “I’ve got enough weaponry to raise a small army in my basement,” he said, clutching the gun in his palm. “Then again, so do most Alaskans.” But Chryson added a message of reassurance to residents of that faraway place some Alaskans call “the 48.” “We want to go our separate ways,” he said, “but we are not going to kill you.”

Though Chryson belongs to a fringe political party, one that advocates the secession of Alaska from the Union, and that organizes with other like-minded secessionist movements from Canada to the Deep South, he is not without peculiar influence in state politics, especially the rise of Sarah Palin. An obscure figure outside of Alaska, Chryson has been a political fixture in the hometown of the Republican vice-presidential nominee for over a decade. During the 1990s, when Chryson directed the AIP, he and another radical right-winger, Steve Stoll, played a quiet but pivotal role in electing Palin as mayor of Wasilla and shaping her political agenda afterward. Both Stoll and Chryson not only contributed to Palin’s campaign financially, they played major behind-the-scenes roles in the Palin camp before, during and after her victory.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/10/10/palin_chryson/index.html

Sarah Palin: Newsweek criticised for unflattering cover

Andrea Tantaros, a Republican media consultant, described the picture as "mortifying."

"This cover is a clear slap in the face of Sarah Palin," she told US television. "Why? Because it's unretouched. It highlights every imperfection that every human being has. We're talking unwanted facial hair, pores, wrinkles."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/sarahpalin/3171956/Sarah-Palin-Newsweek-criticised-for-unflattering-cover.html

so much for the hottest governor from the coldest state! :smile: Why would the Republicans not want her to have "every imperfection that every human being has?"

Can this campaign get any more petty and ridiculously away from the issues?

Evo said:

Probably, wait and see.

Evo said:

Not as far as the lagging Republicans are concerned I expect.

The issues have coalesced against them.

AlaskaDailyNews said:
Troopergate findings are due today
CLOSED DOOR: Legislative Council will decide on release.

By SEAN COCKERHAM, WESLEY LOY and KYLE HOPKINS
Anchorage Daily News

Published: October 10th, 2008 02:58 AM
Last Modified: October 10th, 2008 05:03 AM

The Alaska Supreme Court has cleared for possible release to the public today the Legislature's highly anticipated investigative report on whether Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power.

The court Thursday rejected an attempt by a group of six Republican legislators to keep the report into the so-called Troopergate affair from being made public. That made way for members of the bipartisan Legislative Council, which ordered the investigation, to go ahead and pick up their copies of the report. The legislators signed confidentiality agreements promising not to show anyone, including their staff.

The Legislative Council is expected to vote sometime today whether to make the 263-page report public. The legislators will first meet behind closed doors, starting around 9 a.m. this morning, to receive a briefing from Steve Branchflower, the investigator they hired to look into the governor's dismissal of her public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, and whether she improperly pressured him to fire a state trooper divorced from her sister. The meeting of the 14-member council will be at the downtown Anchorage Legislative Information Office.

Branchflower also produced a separate volume, roughly twice as large as his report, that's expected to remain confidential because it contains exhibits with personnel information that cannot legally be released, according to legislative council staff.
http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/551531.html

They are apparently meeting at this moment. 9:00 AM Alaska 4 hours behind Eastern, 3 Central, etc.

Just found this video regarding the town of Wasilla making rape victims pay for evidence gathering and testing while Palin was mayor. It's not pretty.

Now they are claiming on Fox News that the report to be released will be fatally flawed because they failed to talk to Palin. How absurd.

First she said she would cooperate.

Then she stonewalls and tries to preempt it by effectively investigating herself ... herself, and not scheduling a report until after the election?

And now Fox says that the report is worthless because they didn't talk to her?

LowlyPion said:
Now they are claiming on Fox News that the report to be released will be fatally flawed because they failed to talk to Palin. How absurd.

First she said she would cooperate.

Then she stonewalls and tries to preempt it by effectively investigating herself ... herself, and not scheduling a report until after the election?

And now Fox says that the report is worthless because they didn't talk to her?
It gets worse than that LP. Todd Palin is trying to take the blame for pressuring Monegan, as if his wife and "closest friend" had no idea what he was up to. Sarah-Land is a wonderful place, and getting curiouser and curiouser by the day.

Evo said:

No kidding! And it's not like we lack legitimate reasons to beat on Palin. Intelligent Republicans like David Brooks can see that this woman is an embarrasment to the party. And some women don't even bother to follow the news or the issues - they would vote for any woman. But as for the rest who still support her, one really has to wonder.

Ivan Seeking said:
No kidding! And it's not like we lack legitimate reasons to beat on Palin. Intelligent Republicans like David Brooks can see that this woman is an embarrasment to the party. And some women don't even bother to follow the news or the issues - they would vote for any woman. But as for the rest who still support her, one really has to wonder.

After reading this transcript I linked below, I have little doubt that she would not be involved in the minutia of Wooten's case, as this was even before she was Governor and she was seeking to get Wooten in as much trouble as possible over even the slightest thing she could muster.

Now don't get me wrong that I would think this Wooten likely doesn't have violent tendencies and there should be concerns about his potential for domestic violence, but it was in the middle of a divorce and that is trying times for many people. The going out of their way to ruin Wooten's life as much as possible, reveals an incredibly short sighted and mean streak. Regardless of whatever happens he will always be the father of those children, and it reveals a total insensitivity to the later developmental problems those kids will face by such attempts to isolate and destroy him.

Transcript:
http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/07/18/13/071607-palin-monegue-080805-interview-transcript.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

Here is a running account that is reporting restroom breaks from the meeting considering the report.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/132527

LowlyPion said:
After reading this transcript I linked below, I have little doubt that she would not be involved in the minutia of Wooten's case, as this was even before she was Governor and she was seeking to get Wooten in as much trouble as possible over even the slightest thing she could muster.

For me, what matters most is that Palin is not qualified. In fact I noticed the other day that she still has problems forming complete sentences.

By the standards that we judge a President, the woman is an idiot. Tsu has commented a couple of times that it almost doesn't matter who wins. That Palin even has a chance of holding office is terrifying. What the hell has happened to this country? Really, after Bush, to see someone like Palin on the ticket is simply unbelievable.

Ivan Seeking said:
For me, what matters most is that Palin is not qualified. In fact I noticed the other day that she still has problems forming complete sentences.

By the standards that we judge a President, the woman is an idiot. Tsu has commented a couple of times that it almost doesn't matter who wins. That Palin even has a chance of holding office is terrifying. What the hell has happened to this country? Really, after Bush, to see someone like Palin on the ticket is simply unbelievable.
This is what kills me, that people aren't terrified that someone so incompetant could be a heartbeat away from being President.

Evo said:
This is what kills me, that people aren't terrified that someone so incompetant could be a heartbeat away from being President.

I think that scares a lot of people.

David Brooks is at least trying to sound like a responsible adult these days.

David Brooks said:
This year could have changed things. The G.O.P. had three urbane presidential candidates. But the class-warfare clichés took control. Rudy Giuliani disdained cosmopolitans at the Republican convention. Mitt Romney gave a speech attacking “eastern elites.” (Mitt Romney!) John McCain picked Sarah Palin.

Palin is smart, politically skilled, courageous and likable. Her convention and debate performances were impressive. But no American politician plays the class-warfare card as constantly as Palin. Nobody so relentlessly divides the world between the “normal Joe Sixpack American” and the coastal elite.

She is another step in the Republican change of personality. Once conservatives admired Churchill and Lincoln above all — men from wildly different backgrounds who prepared for leadership through constant reading, historical understanding and sophisticated thinking. Now those attributes bow down before the common touch.

And so, politically, the G.O.P. is squeezed at both ends. The party is losing the working class by sins of omission — because it has not developed policies to address economic anxiety. It has lost the educated class by sins of commission — by telling members of that class to go away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/opinion/10brooks.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Whilst not challenging the prospect of SP being at the highest office, assumingly lacking the usual skills expected from presidents, what difference would it make?

Who was the last president, ignoring the suggestions of an army of advisors, saying: no, thanks, guys, but we are going to solve this completely differently this time.

Re Turbo: By "smart", either he means smartly dressed, or he means evasive, deceptive, and shallow. I would like to see anyone defend the notion that she's smart.

Andre said:
Whilst not challenging the prospect of SP being at the highest office, assumingly lacking the usual skills expected from presidents, what difference would it make?

Who was the last president, ignoring the suggestions of an army of advisors, saying: no, thanks, guys, but we are going to solve this completely differently this time.

It is always a goal to not elect an idiot. We did that eight years ago and it will take decades to recover.

Ivan Seeking said:
It is always a goal to not elect an idiot.
And not elect someone that might think that they are placed here to be part of the Biblically prophesized end of the world.

Ivan Seeking said:

But then what have our ever so qualified men gotten us? I have been talking of a presidential lottery for a long time. It seems like Palin is just the sort of candidate that I WANT in office. One that is not already corrupted by the current political system. A system which has produced nothing but incompetence since at least Nixon or Ike.

I think it is past time for a real shake up of our political system I am sick and tired of the lack of real choice in candidates, they are all the same. All saying what they believe people what to hear in order to garner a few votes. Then doing what they want when they get in office.

EoR

Ivan Seeking said:
It is always a goal to not elect an idiot. We did that eight years ago and it will take decades to recover.

I refuse to judge anyone's intelligence based on 30 sec sound bites and TV presence. I will bet that if you got to know her, she is not a complete idiot.

Of I must say that her religion bothers me, I would need proof that she is capable of acting in the best interest of the COUNTRY over her personal beliefs before I could throw a vote her way.

Integral said:
Of I must say that her religion bothers me, I would need proof that she is capable of acting in the best interest of the COUNTRY over her personal beliefs before I could throw a vote her way.
Palin has said that it would be unthinkable to charge a crime victim for the evidence-collection and testing for the cost of the kit and the tests. Yet, during her tenure as mayor of Wasilla, this is exactly what happened to rape victims. Why? Could it be that the emergency treatment of rape victims routinely involves offering the victim an emergency contraceptive that prevents the implantation of any egg fertilized in the rape?

If you can come up with any alternative, I'd love to hear it. Palin's insistence that abortion is disallowed even the case of rape or incest appears to have crossed into public policy in Wasilla. I don't want that woman anywhere near the reproductive rights of my nieces.