Need your help with a collection of 0 reply threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it looks like we need to reply to some old homework threads in order to make them indexable again and attract more members.
I posted replies to two more threads. It's slim pickings, though ##~\dots##

Likes Greg Bernhardt, dlgoff and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
It's slim pickings, though
That's a good thing.

And I checked two posts that had been answered by someone else :oldbiggrin:

I did my first one today, hurray.

I would be happy to try to do some of the Matlab ones, but I haven't done it in a while and I don't have access to Matlab so can't play around to remember how it all fits together.

• Love
Likes scottdave and Greg Bernhardt
I did one too :-)

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
I looked at the links on your spreadsheet. I am willing to help.

Edit - I've done 2 so far :smile:

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt and Delta2
Hi @Greg Bernhardt

Something is awry with the links in your spreadsheet. I did some, earlier today. Now when I click one, it goes to a completely different question.

For example: row 51 Jet Fire Calculations. The link in the spreadsheet is: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/.440899 but this points to something completely different.

I was able to do a search and find this -
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/jet-fire-calculations.282233/
I was hoping maybe the rows got shifted or something, but I cannot find 282233 in your spreadsheet.

David Scott

scottdave said:
Something is awry with the links in your spreadsheet. I did some, earlier today. Now when I click one, it goes to a completely different question.
Someone did what I did awhile back and sorted the table on column E. I restored a version from earlier today where the links still matched up with the subjects.

Likes TeethWhitener and Astronuc
Greg Bernhardt said:
MathHelpBoards.com (MHB) has merged with PF!
.. and brought a load more unanswered threads with it. Quite a different style to the answers on MHB too (explicit answers to homework-style quesitons, some of which have ended up in non-homework topics).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
pbuk said:
.. and brought a load more unanswered threads with it. Quite a different style to the answers on MHB too (explicit answers to homework-style quesitons, some of which have ended up in non-homework topics).
It's messy for sure, but we'll get it figured out

Likes pbuk
7 down, n - 7 to go but I'm done for a while. Looks like we've picked up some "characters" as well as posts, which is to be expected I suppose.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I did another one. It would help if you could do a global RegExp replace on ## \LaTeX ## tags on the imported posts - or perhaps you are already doing this, we just need to wait for it to work through them all.

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
pbuk said:
I did another one. It would help if you could do a global RegExp replace on ## \LaTeX ## tags on the imported posts - or perhaps you are already doing this, we just need to wait for it to work through them all.
Maybe you can help with this issue. I can't get single quotes and other tags types MHB was using to render. We are using this config for mathjax config. I have reached out to mathjax dev but nothing yet.

https://www.physicsforums.com/check-for-tex.js

Java:
(function () {
  var body = document.body.textContent;
  if (body.match(/(\$\$|##|\[tex\]|\[itex\]|\[math\]|\$|\()/)) {
    if (!window.MathJax) {
      window.MathJax = {
  loader: {
    load: ["ui/lazy"],
    source: {
      "ui/lazy": "https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lazy.js"
    }
  },
  tex: {
    inlineMath: [
      ["[itex]", "[/itex]"],
      ["##", "##"],
      ['$','$'],
      ["\\(","\\)"],
      ["\(","\)"]
    ],
    displayMath: [
      ["[tex]", "[/tex]"],
      ["$$", "$$"],
      ["[math]","[/math]"],
      ["\\\[","\\\]"]

],
    processEscapes: true,
    macros: {
      href: "{}"
    },
    tags: "ams",
    autoload: {
      color: [],
      colorv2: ["color"]
    }
  },
  options: {
    skipHtmlTags: ["script", "noscript", "style", "textarea", "pre", "code"],
    ignoreHtmlClass: "tex2jax_ignore|dno",
    processHtmlClass: "tex2jax_process"
  }
};
    }
    var script = document.createElement("script");
    script.src = "https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-chtml.js";
    script.async = true;
    document.head.appendChild(script);
  }
})();

Do I have to report you for not using the [code=javascript] tag?

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and Greg Bernhardt
pbuk said:
Do I have to report you for not using the [code=javascript] tag?
Solved. We are generous to first-time delinquents.

• Love
Likes pbuk
Ah OK, that's the other way to do it (with the potential problems around "It was $100 but I got $10 off" etc.), although personally I would have gone for a one-off rewrite rather than a permanent run-time hack.

But I'm not getting that file, even with a cache flush. I'm getting
JavaScript:
  tex: {
    inlineMath: [
      ["[itex]","[/itex]"],
      ["##","##"],
    ],
    displayMath: [
      ["[tex]","[/tex]"],
      ["$$","$$"],
      ['$','$'],
      ["[math]","[/math]"],
    ],
  },
... and I can confirm that it is working on the imported posts as expected according to that configuration, guess you may have to cache invalidate the new file for it to reach me at a UK endpoint.

Ah ok, so many cache platforms here. I purged Cloudflare, but it must still be in Litespeed cache. Let me see if I can flush that. But even still, it should render the single quotes as newline math.

Do I understand correctly that there was a "Challenge" topic in MHB? Perhaps unsurprisingly this may have generated a lot of poor quality content similar to this fictitious example:
ASmartArse said:
Prove the Peano axioms using only the Reimann Hypothesis and the Goldbach Conjecture.
There seem to be quite a few unanswered posts like this, can we deal with them en masse somehow? Or perhaps it is a matter of a few individuals e.g. @topsquark and @solakis1?

Correct, they had a challenges and puzzle forum. It may also just be that they had a lot of unanswered threads. This is a good opportunity to draw them into PF.

The file finally has been updated and I'm seeing some improvement.

Likes pbuk
Greg Bernhardt said:
The file finally has been updated and I'm seeing some improvement.
Still having an issue rendering the backslash parenthesis

Greg Bernhardt said:
Still having an issue rendering the backslash parenthesis
I noticed the front end editor replaces \ with <span>\</span> so you can't enter a new \( or \[, but I can see no reason why it shouldn't work with an existing one.

Couldn't get the checkboxes working, but I added a response here. Seemed like a topic that could still be good general interest even if OP is long gone (which they likely are, given the age of the thread).

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
I answered one from 2010. Took me back. It did seem irrelevant whether there was a reply or not.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
osilmag said:
I answered one from 2010. Took me back. It did seem irrelevant whether there was a reply or not.
It’s always relevant thanks!

Incredible work everyone, down to 89!
google sheet

Don't worry, next week I'll be refreshing the sheet with high-value MHB threads we need a reply for. :smile:

• Sad
Likes phinds
Ok, I added a tab for MHB threads without a reply that have high view counts. Let's see if we can whittle these down like the previous tab.

Google sheet

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ok, I added a tab for MFB threads without a reply that have high view counts. Let's see if we can whittle these down like the previous tab.

Google sheet
I hope he gets the order. :cool:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes mfb, Greg Bernhardt and WWGD
This thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/full-beamer-presentation-coded-in-latex.1038438/
I don't think it serves any useful purpose. I mean, somebody is giving their source code for a beamer presentation without anything else. Maybe delete it?

Edit:
And this one too: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/latex-code-for-some-particular-differential-inequalities-and-their-proofs.1038434/

Some of these threads appear to be someone doing a student's homework for them. They don't really need a reply.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt