Need your help with a collection of 0 reply threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it looks like we need to reply to some old homework threads in order to make them indexable again and attract more members.
PeterDonis said:
Either we would just have to post the solution, or IMO we should delete the thread rather than try to make it useful for a search engine.
Yes, walkthrough solutions would be fine, this is for readers' benefit. We should try to not shut doors Google still cracks open.
PeterDonis said:
I have also come across at least one thread (the "what is Coulomb gauge" one) that is a comment thread on an Insights article. IMO having those indexed by Google is useful even if there are no (or very few) responses since they link to the Insights articles themselves.
Agreed

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Agreed
I think this would also apply to the threads which are posts based on old "Library" entries (like the "what is work done" one). In today's PF they would be Insights articles.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The one I thought was nonsense actually made sense to me after a long hiatus at the beach to think about it. When I got back, DrMalawi had already posted a clarification along the lines I was thinking of so I answered in that vein. The problem was the poster was using symbols with no attention at all to quantifiers explaining which symbols depended on which others. I.e. I thought he was choosing a K to make two expressions equal for all n, whereas he was choosing a different K for each n. So it was the huge distinction between "there is some K such that for all n, we have..." and "for every n, there is some K such that we have..." Since neither one was stated, I had no idea what was meant and made the wrong assumption. Oh yes and apparently also a subscript was written as a factor, hence the function K(n) was written as the product Kn, further confusing me.

Last edited:
I've seen people respond to a thread with a request for more information - on a 15 year old thread where the Op has been gone for 10 years.

Is that what you want, Greg?

Really?

Likes Greg Bernhardt, PeterDonis and dextercioby
Vanadium 50 said:
I've seen people respond to a thread with a request for more information - on a 15 year old thread where the Op has been gone for 10 years.

Really?
I deleted at least two threads that required more information or dialogue. But I also resolved a problem and added an explanation video in a thread about torque. No one said one method fits all.

... and I have a serious motivation problem with that one ...
Mindscrape said:
Now this is a lot of work, especially when it comes to finding the torsion $$\tau=−\dfrac{d\overrightarrow{B}}{ds}\cdot \overrightarrow{N}$$
a total of four derivitives.

Well, if the question is interesting, why not answering a decade-old thread?

Another question: How is it with the Homework Section? I guess for this purpose we should give simply the solution and not try to guide the long-gone OP to an own one, right?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:

Really?
Yes this not about the OP but searchers and readers

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
I interpreted Greg's request as being that we should answer the posts as if they were posted today. Asking for more info emphasizes that requirement for new members, even if it does seem a silly way to answer a decade old post to an OP who is long gone.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:

Number 29, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-amplifier-transistor-circuit-diagram-provided.232024/ (14 years old), provides a hotlink diagram that is no longer available. It is a critical part of the problem statement. I will respond by asking for the poster to provide a fresh link.

.Scott said:
Number 29, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-amplifier-transistor-circuit-diagram-provided.232024/ (14 years old), provides a hotlink diagram that is no longer available. It is a critical part of the problem statement. I will respond by asking for the poster to provide a fresh link.
This is a reasonable example of a thread we could delete if the source material is missing.

Likes vanhees71, phinds and Vanadium 50
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is a reasonable example of a thread we could delete if the source material is missing.
Done.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
I interpreted Greg's request as being that we should answer the posts as if they were posted today. Asking for more info emphasizes that requirement for new members, even if it does seem a silly way to answer a decade old post to an OP who is long gone.
First thing I do is check the date of the post and the date of when the member was last seen on PF.

It's best to address the post rather than the poster, since often in such posts, the member is long gone and the HW assignment has been completed (on not) long ago.

Certainly, on some where effort and work is lacking, one can simply state, "PF requires members to show work and demonstrate effort." That said, some helpful direction might be appropriate, primarily for others looking to solve a similar problem.

Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
Could you either (1) redo the spreadsheet to drop the already answered threads or (2) sort the list so that the answered ones (checked) are all at the end?

phinds said:
Could you either (1) redo the spreadsheet to drop the already answered threads or (2) sort the list so that the answered ones (checked) are all at the end?
I set a filter to only show unmarked

Did someone do a silent delete of my message?

Vanadium 50 said:
Did someone do a silent delete of my message?
Message where?

Yup.

Had some threads and numbers. Nothing deletable.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I set a filter to only show unmarked
OK, I did a "filter by value" and it got rid of the checked ones. I had been hesitant to do filtering because it didn't say what it was filtering ON and I didn't know if I would mess up the spreadsheet.

vanhees71 said:

Another question: How is it with the Homework Section? I guess for this purpose we should give simply the solution and not try to guide the long-gone OP to an own one, right?
I don't know if it will lead people to believe PF is not " With It", or that their questions will not receive a prompt answer.

WWGD said:
I don't know if it will lead people to believe PF is not " With It", or that their questions will not receive a prompt answer.
I wrote e.g.
Let's see, so that once and forever not everybody has to redo the exercise.
as a justification. I apparently have a follower since I received an answer to my post. So even that old one created traffic.

And do not underestimate how many people actually read those old threads. I frequently receive likes to posts I do not even remember!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:

Really?
Where's Winston Smith when you need him?

Vanadium 50 said:

vanhees71 said:
This seems reasonable, assuming that the question is interesting and we're not talking about a homework thread.
phinds said:
Regarding decade-old (and older) homework threads, if the OP showed no attempt, IMO we should just delete the post rather than waste our time trying to add something meaningful to them.

Likes Bystander and PeroK
Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Astronuc said:
One of the oldest unanswered posts/threads on PF.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/.8053
Oct 30, 2003

Edit/update - kuruman responded to it, so I checked it.
Greg is handling this from the completely wrong end of it. 2003? I mean 2003? This should be worth a lot more ...

1656881697108.png

• Haha
Likes dextercioby and Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
Greg is handling this from the completely wrong end of it. 2003? I mean 2003? This should be worth a lot more ...

View attachment 303717
Don't like it. I want my wine fresh!* And quit it with your fish. You never bothered to cook it. Whether you call it Shushi or not.

*Trademarked?

WWGD said:
Whether you call it Shushi or not.
Shushi? That's a new one...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Down to 373!
WHAT? ##373!\approx 8.7215543626222997721190458639175412663839048968050669901074... × 10^{798}##

• Haha
Likes dextercioby
fresh_42 said:
Yes. It's called Beaujolais primeur
In the Pays de Gex we called it Beaujolais Nouveau.

Or Chateau de Plonk.

Comment dit-on 'swill' en français?

It's just nasty.

Vanadium 50 said:
In the Pays de Gex we called it Beaujolais Nouveau.

Or Chateau de Plonk.

Comment dit-on 'swill' en français?

It's just nasty.
La bibine ou pipi de chat. I assume cat pee is universal.

Mark44 said:
Shushi? That's a new one...
They brought me some fish, and it was raw!