Need your help with a collection of 0 reply threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it looks like we need to reply to some old homework threads in order to make them indexable again and attract more members.
fresh_42 said:
I assume cat pee is universal.
Please! Have some class!

It's 'cat whiz'.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed many advisors and homework helpers reply to those threads like they expecting some kind of reply from the OP, but I think 99% probability is that the OP won't reply.

So I think when we reply to those threads we should give strong hints towards their solution if not revealing part or whole of the solution.

Likes Steve4Physics, Greg Bernhardt and fresh_42
WWGD said:
They brought me some fish, and it was raw!
Oh shush, you.
Then I shush myself.
Oh shush, I.

Likes WWGD and Delta2
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Likes Delta2
How about adding another column to the spreadsheet for us to check for broken links, incomplete information, etc. so we can flag questions for the moderators to review/delete?

Alternatively we could just reply by asking for more information. It's kind of frustrating to open a question, decide that it can't really be answered, and then leave it there for someone else to do the same thing.

Likes phinds
DaveE said:
How about adding another column to the spreadsheet for us to check for broken links, incomplete information, etc. so we can flag questions for the moderators to review/delete?

Alternatively we could just reply by asking for more information. It's kind of frustrating to open a question, decide that it can't really be answered, and then leave it there for someone else to do the same thing.
How about simply clicking on "report" and saying why it should be deleted?

fresh_42 said:
Yeah, I've done that on a couple of them.

fresh_42 said:
Oops, I didn't see that. You just can't get good help these days, LOL.

nevermind-rosananadana.gif

phinds said:
Yeah, I've done that on a couple of them.
And I deleted them. (Except one, IIRC. I merged one with an existing longer discussion.)

Likes phinds
The actual number of remaining threads is smaller, there are many answers where threads haven't been checked in the document.

Should we move questions that need specialized knowledge to a second sheet and sort by topic? Otherwise multiple people might open the same thread only to realize they can't help there. That's not an issue for e.g. simple mechanics questions, but if you need to be familiar with a specific software or something like that it would save some time.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
The actual number of remaining threads is smaller, there are many answers where threads haven't been checked in the document.
I checked them whenever I saw one.
mfb said:
Should we move questions that need specialized knowledge to a second sheet and sort by topic? Otherwise multiple people might open the same thread only to realize they can't help there. That's not an issue for e.g. simple mechanics questions, but if you need to be familiar with a specific software or something like that it would save some time.
Good idea. Matlab alone has had 34 entries.

Down to near 200!

mfb said:
Should we move questions that need specialized knowledge to a second sheet and sort by topic?

I added another column where we can include the topic if the reviewer is not feeling confident answering and thinks someone with a certain skill is required.

google sheets link

Likes Delta2, mfb, phinds and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Down to near 200!
I added another column where we can include the topic if the reviewer is not feeling confident answering and thinks someone with a certain skill is required.

google sheets link
I added all 31 MATLAB subjects. I have no knowledge in the field but I saw that @jedishrfu answered one with a specific video. Maybe he knows a video course, or youtube channel that answers all, or at least many of them.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
fresh_42 said:
I added all 31 MATLAB subjects. I have no knowledge in the field but I saw that @jedishrfu answered one with a specific video. Maybe he knows a video course, or youtube channel that answers all, or at least many of them.
I can reach out to @kreil who is a MATLAB expert

Likes Astronuc
You can point a lot of them to the mathworks website. I routinely find answers there.

There is also the rosettacode.org website with some more general tasks solved in a variety of languages including matlab.

Did the links get misaligned with the titles on the google sheet?

TeethWhitener said:
Did the links get misaligned with the titles on the google sheet?
It's even worse: it is not a constant shift. Someone sorted along the "subjects" column without sorting all of it.

fresh_42 said:
It's even worse: it is not a constant shift. Someone sorted along the "subjects" column without sorting all of it.
Sorry, I think it was me. I restored the version from this morning (9:17 AM Pacific) where everything was aligned, so if you marked any threads as done after that time, you may need to mark it again.

Likes Delta2 and TeethWhitener
Astronuc said:
Any takers on this one? :oldbiggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-coulomb-gauge.763088/

If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Apparently, the post is an entry is from our old Library feature. I miss that feature.

And another Library entry: What is susceptibility?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-susceptibility.763178/

Did some of this material get put into an Insight article?
I'm trying to figure how to relate these two to other threads/posts. The subjects definitely show up in other threads/posts, and as old Library entries or FAQs, they are essentially stand-alone posts.

Any ideas?

You could review the related threads from the list below the post and comment on which thread is most relevant.

Down to 141, maybe all the easy ones are taken care of? @kreil will look at the MATLAB threads hopefully this weekend. For the two FAQ library threads, maybe there is a concept or explanation that someone can expand on, or are they pretty well perfect? Thanks again all!

Google sheets link

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Greg Bernhardt said:
For the two FAQ library threads, maybe there is a concept or explanation that someone can expand on, or are they pretty well perfect?
I simply added a comment with the recommendation link to an existing Insight article each.

Likes Delta2 and Greg Bernhardt
fresh_42 said:
I simply added a comment with the recommendation link to an existing Insight article each.
That may actually spark some replies from the community too just with the bump

Likes Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
That's what I had in mind.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Astronuc said:
That's what I had in mind.
Yeah linking to a relevant Insight is a good idea and easy!

@Greg Bernhardt
Just curious. How many unanswered threads are there now?