Need some help in understanding the philosophy of science

You might get some replies, but generally speaking, philosophical discussions, even those dealing with the philosophy of science, are off limits at PF. After all, it is Physics Forums, not Philosophy Forums.In summary, the conversation was about the nature of science and the views of three philosophers - Thomas Kuhn, Karl Popper, and Francis Bacon. The main points discussed were Kuhn's idea of paradigm shifts, Popper's concept of falsifiability, and Bacon's ideas on the scientific method. The individual seeking assistance was trying to understand these views in order to critique them for an essay assignment.
khalidkcl
First of all I am a scientist, or a chemist to be more precise. I am changing career to become a chemistry teacher and my course requires me to write an essay on the nature of science and teaching science etc..

I'm having a hard time understanding these 3 philosophers view on what science is?

Thomas Kuhn - Came up with the idea of Paradigm shifts and that scientists create their own paradigms to explain a phenomena, this can change hence the term paradigm shift? that's all I understand...

Karl Popper - Something about falsifiability?

Francis Bacon - no idea.

Can anyone explain to me what their view on science was and how they differed to each other as simple as possible?

I am trying to critique their views but I first need to understand them in good detail.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may get some replies, but generally speaking, philosophical discussions, even those dealing with the philosophy of science, are off limits at PF. After all, it is Physics Forums, not Philosophy Forums.

All three figures you mentioned are rather well-known. There should be no shortage of hits if you do an internet search on them and their work.

Personally, I think trying to get all philosophical about science is a waste of time, but then I'm an engineer by training. Science is about trying to understand reality. As Feynman says in one of his more famous videos, you test scientific theories against reality by doing experiments and if you find an experiment that says the theory doesn't explain reality then it is wrong. It doesn't matter how elegant it is or how smart or well-known the person who proposed it, if it doesn't match reality, it's wrong. Period. THAT's what science is all about.

Also there is falsifiability, which is what separates science from religion. In science we require that a theory be falsifiable. A theory that is NOT falsifiable is not science, it is philosophy or religion. Religion is just the opposite; you take the theory as being true even in the face of reality saying otherwise because in religion, facts are irrelevant in the face of belief whereas in science, belief is irrelevant in the face of facts.

khalidkcl said:
First of all I am a scientist, or a chemist to be more precise. I am changing career to become a chemistry teacher and my course requires me to write an essay on the nature of science and teaching science etc..

I'm having a hard time understanding these 3 philosophers view on what science is?

Thomas Kuhn - Came up with the idea of Paradigm shifts and that scientists create their own paradigms to explain a phenomena, this can change hence the term paradigm shift? that's all I understand...

Karl Popper - Something about falsifiability?

Francis Bacon - no idea.

Can anyone explain to me what their view on science was and how they differed to each other as simple as possible?

I am trying to critique their views but I first need to understand them in good detail.

Many thanks for your assistance.
Perhaps one can find some notes online, e.g., here's a set about Kuhn's publication, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions:

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/forster/220/kuhn.htm

This might help with Popper - http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/popper/
and Bacon - http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/francis-bacon/

Last edited:
As has already been pointed out, we don't do philosophy here, which is why the thread was closed.

Related to Need some help in understanding the philosophy of science

1. What is the philosophy of science?

The philosophy of science is a branch of philosophy that focuses on the nature of scientific inquiry, including its methods, theories, and assumptions. It examines the fundamental concepts and principles underlying scientific practices and seeks to understand the relationship between science and other areas of knowledge.

2. Why is it important to understand the philosophy of science?

Understanding the philosophy of science is important because it helps us critically evaluate scientific claims and arguments. It allows us to think more deeply about the nature of knowledge and the scientific method, and to consider the ethical implications of scientific research and technology.

3. What are some key concepts in the philosophy of science?

Some key concepts in the philosophy of science include falsifiability, objectivity, empiricism, and paradigms. Falsifiability refers to the ability to test and potentially disprove a scientific theory. Objectivity relates to the idea that scientific inquiry should be free from personal biases. Empiricism emphasizes the importance of observation and evidence in scientific research. Paradigms refer to the dominant theories and methods within a particular scientific discipline.

4. How does the philosophy of science differ from other branches of philosophy?

The philosophy of science differs from other branches of philosophy in that it specifically focuses on the nature and practice of science. It is not concerned with metaphysical or ethical questions, but rather with understanding the principles and methods that underlie scientific knowledge.

5. Can the philosophy of science help us determine what is true and what is not?

The philosophy of science does not provide a definitive answer to what is true or not. Instead, it offers a framework for understanding how scientific knowledge is constructed and evaluated. It can help us critically assess scientific claims, but ultimately, determining what is true requires a combination of evidence and critical thinking from various disciplines.