Does the Universe have a finite number of fundamentals to uncover?

Maximum7
Fire, Gravity, Electromagnetism, Atoms, DNA, Steam power, Nuclear, Quarks. All of these things have one thing in common. They are fundamental aspects of the universe that humans have uncovered and given names. However, all of these great discoveries occured quite some time ago and as a science lover; it makes me upset. We don’t seem to be be making fundamental discoveries in science anymore. Sure technology is always progressing and many scientific advances are made all the time BUT it’s all built on pre-existing foundations and doesn’t really change our view of reality anymore. Why is this the case? Is the universe finite in its complexity and there is only so much fruit on the tree to pick? I believe the universe (while much of it we can never see) is infinite in size; therefore there should be an infinite amount of “stuff” for us to find. At least that’s how I see it.

But the universe doesn’t care what I think and science’s main goal has always been the means of classifying everything into neat categories. I understand that.

Yet, I am looking for something as different as red is to blue. Red is red and blue is blue. Could we find another “color” someday or open up a new field like if we discovered the existence of hypermatter that allowed for FTL like in Star Wars?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will need to rethink what you mean by "fundamental". Fire nor DNA (nor steam and nuclear power) have nothing "fundamental" about them, technically these are just applications.

Likes ohwilleke, robotkid786, russ_watters and 1 other person
Maximum7 said:
Fire, Gravity, Electromagnetism, Atoms, DNA, Steam power, Nuclear, Quarks
Are you looking for fundamental or hyped aspects?

I don't know whether the universe is finite or infinite about 'fundamentals', but regarding hypes, the human imagination is clearly infinite enough for weekly/monthly/yearly excitements.
You only need to look around carefully.

Likes BillTre
To add to what has already been said: Even if the universe was divided into fundamentals in the way you describe, how would you ever be able to conclude if its number was finite or not?

Likes robotkid786
Maybe there are a minimum number of laws (equations) that describe our observations (data).

Are we handicapped by our haphazard approach to finding those laws and equations?

How can we know when we have discovered the last of those laws, or if they form a complete, or a minimum set?

Can we then stop making observations?

Maximum7 said:
We don’t seem to be be making fundamental discoveries in science anymore

That type of thing, game changers, will happen less and less as the "easier" stuff has already been worked out.
Quantum computers and other tech could change that when available.

In terms of progress and approach to finding things out Richard Feynman always had a nice philosophy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fyn...ate=ive&vld=cid:5a6b6d69,vid:QkhBcLk_8f0,st:0

Likes PeroK
Maximum7 said:
We don’t seem to be be making fundamental discoveries in science anymore.

pinball1970 said:
That type of thing, game changers, will happen less and less as the "easier" stuff has already been worked out.

Cautionary tale from 19th century:
"... So profound were these and other developments that it was generally accepted that all the important laws of physics had been discovered and that, henceforth, research would be concerned with clearing up minor problems and particularly with improvements of method and measurement."It only appears like we're not making discoveries because we don't have the perspective of historical hindsight.

For all we know, our (relatively) recent discovery of, say, Dark Matter will revolutionize the world in a decade or two.
For all we know, a new fundamental force will be discovered tomorrow that will usher in a whole new era of scientific discovery.

I remember watching a seminar on issues in cosmology about 15 years ago on MIT OCW. The professor there predicted that in 10 years we will know what the Dark Matter is and also that in 10 years it will be concluded that the Dark Energy does not exist.

(Curiously, I can't find that seminar on the MIT site now.)

Likes PeroK
Maximum7 said:
We don’t seem to be be making fundamental discoveries in science anymore.

I would ague that being able to measure gravitational waves has been pretty important.
Although not a discovery of a "fundamental" force it has revealed things not previously observable.
A whole new observational world.

Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Cautionary tale from 19th century:
"... So profound were these and other developments that it was generally accepted that all the important laws of physics had been discovered and that, henceforth, research would be concerned with clearing up minor problems and particularly with improvements of method and measurement."It only appears like we're not making discoveries because we don't have the perspective of historical hindsight.

For all we know, our (relatively) recent discovery of, say, Dark Matter will revolutionize the world in a decade or two.
For all we know, a new fundamental force will be discovered tomorrow that will usher in a whole new era of scientific discovery
The science community have a few targets to aim at I am not saying physics is a done deal.
I also said that a big technological step like a working quantum computer could be key in a major shift.

1. What does it mean for the Universe to have a finite number of fundamentals?

The idea that the Universe has a finite number of fundamentals suggests that there is a limited set of basic principles or laws that govern everything in the universe. These fundamentals would encompass the most elementary particles, forces, and interactions from which all other phenomena emerge.

2. How do scientists search for these fundamental laws?

Scientists employ both theoretical and experimental approaches to uncover the fundamental laws of the Universe. Theoretically, physicists develop models and theories to explain observed phenomena and predict new ones. Experimentally, researchers use instruments like particle accelerators, telescopes, and detectors to observe the behaviors of particles and forces at both the smallest and largest scales, testing the predictions of theoretical physics.

3. Have we discovered all the fundamentals of the Universe?

No, we have not discovered all the fundamentals of the Universe. While significant progress has been made with theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, there are still many unanswered questions and unexplained phenomena. For instance, the nature of dark matter and dark energy remains largely unknown, and a theory of quantum gravity that would unify general relativity with quantum mechanics is still under development.

4. What would it mean if the Universe does not have a finite number of fundamentals?

If the Universe does not have a finite number of fundamentals, it would imply that there is an infinite complexity or an endless layering of laws and principles governing reality. This could mean that every time a fundamental law is discovered, it only leads to more underlying complexities that need to be understood, potentially never reaching a final theory of everything.

5. How would discovering all fundamentals impact our understanding of the Universe?

Discovering all the fundamental laws of the Universe would provide a complete and unified theory that explains all physical phenomena at every scale, which has been a long-standing goal in physics. This would not only revolutionize our understanding of the universe but could also lead to new technologies and insights into the nature of reality itself. However, whether such a complete theory can ever be achieved remains an open question in the scientific community.