How the Philosophy of Art made me want to become a Physicist

seikorbnsn
How did you find PF?
Google search trying to decide if I should major in Philosophy or Physics
Hey all, glad to find and join this community. I'm 28 years old, excelled in math and science in high school but because of mental health and life circumstances took a 10 year hiatus from education to focus on healing, primarily using art a means to understand the "self".

This sent me down a wonderful rabbithole of the history/philosophy and purposes of Art, religious art, political art, personal art, and finally Michael Sugrue on YouTube (recommended to anyone with even the slightest itch for philosophy but feel intimidated), and the inevitable understanding that if you want to be taken seriously as a philosopher you must be a scientist/physicist as well.

Now I'm back in community college, working on my Associates in Fine Arts and then transferring to a Bachelors Program in either Philosophy or Physics. Much of my interest is in the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics and cosmology, but I am still very much green on it all so be easy with me.

Thank you all for creating and contributing to sustaining an environment where someone like me struggling to find people to geek out about the universe with can find peers with such ease.

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

You should definitely take Calculus and a Calculus-based Physics course at Community College as soon as you can, to help you get a reality check on studying Physics versus Philosophy/Art. Have you had a chance to do that yet?

Likes seikorbnsn
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

You should definitely take Calculus and a Calculus-based Physics course at Community College as soon as you can, to help you get a reality check on studying Physics versus Philosophy/Art. Have you had a chance to do that yet?
I have not but I did take AP Physics and Calculus in high school, and have been brushing up on the fundamentals over the past month. I should be able to get in a course like you mentioned next semester though and I absolutely cannot wait. In the meantime I have an office hour appointment with the Math Engineering and Compsci department at my school to talk about any math/physics extracurriculars I can join in or outside of school in the local area. Appreciate the advice and warm welcome :-)

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Great stuff! Also check to see if you CC has a Physics Club -- that can be a fun resource to help motivate you in your studies. :smile:

Likes seikorbnsn
Welcome.

Likes seikorbnsn