Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
DaveC426913 said:
Something on the wing??
OMG! I didn't even think of that!

Physics news on Phys.org
1633577069531.png

JEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFF!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Ivan Seeking
So I was reading about quantum tunneling, and then I noticed google started suggesting I search "isolated tetrahedra". Is there a particular reason for this connection? People who search for information about quantum tunneling also search for information about isolated tetrahedra?

isolated_tetrahedra.png

Jarvis323 said:
So I was reading about quantum tunneling, and then I noticed google started suggesting I search "isolated tetrahedra". Is there a particular reason for this connection? People who search for information about quantum tunneling also search for information about isolated tetrahedra?

View attachment 296111
No, it's suggesting searches that begin with the letters "is..."

DrGreg said:
No, it's suggesting searches that begin with the letters "is..."
I know that. The mystery is why it has personalized the list it generates for me to place "isolated tetrahedra" at the top.

Jarvis323 said:
I know that. The mystery is why it has personalized the list it generates for me to place "isolated tetrahedra" at the top.
You could retire tomorrow and buy a small Caribbean island if you can figure out google's suggestion algorithm. I think it's more secret than the nuclear launch codes, and certainly changes more often.

It also seems remarkably stupid sometimes.

Likes Jarvis323
DaveE said:
You could retire tomorrow and buy a small Caribbean island if you can figure out google's suggestion algorithm. I think it's more secret than the nuclear launch codes, and certainly changes more often.

It also seems remarkably stupid sometimes.
The default suggestions I get for a-z at least don't seem too mysterious.

1643314302058.png

Maybe one day google's search suggestion algorithm will discover a theory of everything, and then we'll slowly figure it out over time as it unknowingly steers us in the right direction.

Or maybe if it discovers a theory of everything, it will just internally try to leverage it somehow to maximize advertising revenue.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and hutchphd
@Jarvis323
...I was reading about quantum tunneling, and then I noticed google started suggesting I search "isolated tetrahedra".

If the suggestions and/or search results seem out-of-wack, remove the Google cookies from the browser.

My searches vary from 'everyday mundane' to rather technical. When the technical searches start returning grade school stuff, I clear the Google cookie crumbs and all of a sudden Google Scholar results start showing up.

Try it; you'll like it! :))

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Jarvis323, Klystron, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Since I'm using Windows, the browsers have cookie removal capability built-in. On the toolbar (usually at the top) it typically appears under:
Tools
Preferences
Privacy
Show Cookies

You can also completely disable cookies (with an exception list if desired), or delete at end-of-session. (Often the deletion really occurs at the next browser start-up rather than upon closing)

Tom.G said:
Since I'm using Windows, the browsers have cookie removal capability built-in. On the toolbar (usually at the top) it typically appears under:
Tools
Preferences
Privacy
Show Cookies

You can also completely disable cookies (with an exception list if desired), or delete at end-of-session. (Often the deletion really occurs at the next browser start-up rather than upon closing)
The bookmarklet is one click to remove the cookies for the site you're on. Now that many sites are popping up a cookies dialog bar at the footer, that says accept all cookies or manage cookie preferences, I usually hit accept all and then remove cookies.

Likes Jarvis323
You can also use search engines like DuckDuckGo that don't track your previous searches. Google tries to match result to your previous searches.

Likes Jarvis323, Klystron and sysprog
WWGD said:
You can also use search engines like DuckDuckGo that don't track your previous searches. Google tries to match result to your previous searches.
Also run cleaning programs, free or 'professional' versions, at OS and browser startup a/o shutdown that eliminate cookies and other internet residue, as you prefer.

Likes Jarvis323 and WWGD
Klystron said:
Also run cleaning programs, free or 'professional' versions, at OS and browser startup a/o shutdown that eliminate cookies and other internet residue, as you prefer.
If I may say so, Google's strategy of returning results that match previous searches has helped promote radicalization in that ittends to keep people in their own bubbles by returning results/data within the range of one's experience, and not allowing new ones.

WWGD said:
If I may say so, Google's strategy of returning results that match previous searches has helped promote radicalization in that ittends to keep people in their own bubbles by returning results/data within the range of one's experience, and not allowing new ones.
They now have algorithms to downrank sites that disagree with the mainstream media.

Likes WWGD
MikeeMiracle said:
Is this post just about technology or can we post stuff about people to? The thing I fail to understand is people who spends countless thousands of pounds to go on holiday to a hot country, stay in a hotel a hundred yards from the beach...and then go swimming in the hotel pool instead of the Sea!

It make zero sense to me, you could have swam in a pool in your own town...
Well where I come from it is logical. For 6 Month of the year you have Box Jellyfish, all year round you get your Sharks, and now Saltwater Crocodiles are speculating on Tourists for lunch or dinner.

WWGD said:
Google tries to match result to your previous searches.
Dear Google,
If my previous search results yielded what I wanted I wouldn't be searching AGAIN! :headbang:

WWGD said:
Google tries to match result to your previous searches.

Lol. . . there's no question about it. . . . :wink:

1643449641506.png

Likes WWGD
Lupo said:
Well where I come from it is logical. For 6 Month of the year you have Box Jellyfish, all year round you get your Sharks, and now Saltwater Crocodiles are speculating on Tourists for lunch or dinner.
Yes, one can add riptides, sharp rocks, 'rogue' waves, cold water, strong currents, kelp tangles, live and dead jellyfish, oil and sewer spills, stoned surfers and boogey boarders, and sociopathic yachtsmen firing guns near shore to the dangers of open ocean swimming. Growing up close to famous beaches in Northern California, I loved ocean swimming while always maintaining a sharp eye for hazards.

Saltwater improves buoyancy and allows chlorination via electrolysis. A heated properly maintained saltwater swimming pool provides the best of both environments IMO.

Likes sysprog
People who say/use "diffuse" when they mean "defuse;" the words are NOT equivalent.

Likes pinball1970
Bystander said:
People who say/use "diffuse" when they mean "defuse;" the words are NOT equivalent.
Irregardless! ;).

Likes BillTre
"For all intensive purposes."

"It is a mute point."
I had a long talk with a colleague from Louisiana who said this. His view was, the "point" was meaningless, in other words, it "had nothing to say" about the issue at hand. Hence, it was a "mute" point. I was speechless.

Likes WWGD
The whole IT thing, where you're expected to know about everything if you say you're in IT: setting up web pages, installing a router, databases, programming, etc. And just about everything else.
" Is that eclipse tonight a lunar eclipse?". " No Idea".
" Aren't you in IT?"

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Bystander said:
It is of course possible, in certain circumstances, to do both at the same time. Angry crowds, for instance.

Espresso does not have x in the spelling but...

Likes WWGD
Jodo said:
Espresso does not have x in the spelling but...
I like to think of the name espresso having to do with the fact that it is brewed in single serving. It's not brewed in a big pot, all at once, that people share. Your espresso is brewed especially for you.

collinsmark said:
I like to think of the name espresso having to do with the fact that it is brewed in single serving. It's not brewed in a big pot, all at once, that people share. Your espresso is brewed especially for you.
Yes. It is an EXPRESS serving, not an ESPRESS serving.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
espresso
It means pressed out, expressed by pressure.

• Informative
Likes gmax137 and sysprog
Sure, it's all that. But it's brewed especially for you. (Not expecially or esspecially.)

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
I'm getting dizzy... o0)

Bystander said:
I actually came across the opposite the other day - a travel mug with a built in "defuser". As carried by the bomb squad, presumably - it does get hot in that protective gear and it's nice to have a cold drink built into your tools. (Not sure if it was actually meant for tea or a water filter or what.)

berkeman said:
I'm getting dizzy... o0)
Have an Ex/Ess/Etc presso. It will help you settle/xettle.

• Haha
Likes phinds and berkeman
Some PF members within the extablished community here exchew the spelling of espresso with es- in favor of the higher exteemed ex-, expousing that it more exoterically resembles the exsential meaning, and perhaps expousing that the ex- is more exthetically pleasing, and the es- in espresso should be excorted out the door. But by my extimation, extranging the es- is in error, and detracts from the exsence of espresso.

Putting it another way, some words in my opinion, like espresso, are fine with the es-.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes nuuskur, BillTre and Bystander
I used to get upset at the use of the expression " At a Fraction of the Cost", since it assumed fractions were less than 1, while they can be equal to 1,000 ,000/1 or larger.
But I have come to ignore it, since I thought I was being pedantic.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
I used to get upset at the use of the expression " At a Fraction of the Cost", since it assumed fractions were less than 1, while they can be equal to 1,000 000/1 or larger.
That would not be proper.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Keith_McClary and berkeman