Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
They would leak right through your wallet. Would not recommend.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
If Samantha Stevens was a witch, why did she have a Jewish Menorah?

View attachment 289615
Astral tax deduction.

Likes Ivan Seeking
Monsterboy said:
I heard the aquarium owners use jellyfish as a currency. Everything else are priced at multiples of a jellyfish.
You must be thinking of sand dollars.

• Haha
Likes Monsterboy, Ivan Seeking, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
BillTre said:
Those things? They've crumbled and blown away. Liquid assets are all the rage.

Likes jack action
BillTre said:
No, not sure if this is a joke...but they didn't specify the species of jellyfish in the video.

America passed the endangered species and wildlife act in 1973, which expressly forbid the sale or trade of wild animals for money. Around this same time period most other advanced countries passed similar laws This meant that zoo’s looking to fill out their enclosures could no longer just pay to win. Of course for existing zoo’s this wasn’t a major issue. Animals are great because they have an inbuilt copy an paste function. But this law did massively slow down the opening of any new parks, especially those that were to be run for profit. Even still, the existing parks did need to set up a system of trade to ensure that they got a fair chance at achieving these three main goals. So they had to figure out a system of exchange that didn’t involve money.

Now they couldn’t trade the animals for money or anything else of value, because of course that would break the various laws around the world, and encourage people to hunt live animals for profit. So instead they traded animals for animals. Now you might say well isn’t that just bartering? And you would be right, but there is one key difference, aquariums have a reserve currency… The Jellyfish.
https://cryptonewmedia.press/wtf-is...as-a-global-reserve-currency-how-money-works/

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes BillTre
I find this hard to believe.
You need a better source than some bitcoin website.

Likes Monsterboy
Monsterboy said:
I heard the aquarium owners use jellyfish as a currency. Everything else are priced at multiples of a jellyfish.
A currency for every profession, I guess.
The only thing I keep wondering is that why economists picked the Big Mac.
Maybe a task for psychologists.
But I wonder, on what basis would they pick their currency o_O

Well, to be honest we too have an alternative currency in the neighborhood. I think we can call it 'village currency'. For example, if you have some fancy pumpkins (the more warty the more worthy), you can just gift them around as 'village currency'. If you have some fruits, it's the same. Works with everything you don't need but may came handy for others.
We deal in wild mushrooms, mostly. Sometimes picking them during a hike is just for the thrill of hunt, but we don't like the species - so we just gift it away for some 'village currency'. Cep mushrooms are hot sale, for example.
Usually we got the neighbors come over to feed the cats if we are away.
What comes around goes around.

Last edited:
Likes Monsterboy
Hornbein said:
Astral tax deduction.
Haha, no she was Jewitch.

That clearly puts her in the menorahty

Here is something I recently learned that is surprising... A lot of young women have a thing for the now deceased Bob Ross. I first learned about this when I was dating a young lady in her 20s. She said he was hot! I've learned since that many young women apparently find him sexy and like to watch his old series, which taught people how to paint and ran for many years

1632615243892.png
When you ask young women what they find sexy in a man, you get a lot of surprising answers. But the one that stopped me cold in my tracks came from a gorgeous young blonde woman. When I asked what she finds irresistibly sexy in a man, she said when she sees a man holding a baby!

On a similar note, Pink Floyd made a big come back with young women [which I totally understand], as well as vinyl.

Likes Monsterboy
Ivan Seeking said:
Here is something I recently learned that is surprising... A lot of young women have a thing for the now deceased Bob Ross. I first learned about this when I was dating a young lady in her 20s. She said he was hot! I've learned since that many young women apparently find him sexy and like to watch his old series, which taught people how to paint and ran for many years

View attachment 289719When you ask young women what they find sexy in a man, you get a lot of surprising answers. But the one that stopped me cold in my tracks came from a gorgeous young blonde woman. When I asked what she finds irresistibly sexy in a man, she said when she sees a man holding a baby!

On a similar note, Pink Floyd made a big come back with young women [which I totally understand], as well as vinyl.
He does look like a very nice and gentle man.

As for the holding the baby, that doesn't surprise me at all. It is ultimately the point of all this, eh?

Surely you mean The Dark Side of The Moon album, which is also quite gentle. I'm sure they won't go for Ummagumma.

Likes Ivan Seeking
There is a viral trend of people watching/listening to Bob Ross to help them fall asleep.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Jarvis323 said:
There is a viral trend of people watching/listening to Bob Ross to help them fall asleep.
Hornbein said:
He does look like a very nice and gentle man.
He had a very calming voice and manner. I can understand using him to go to sleep! LOL! No doubt a lot of women got their Zen from Bob.

Ivan Seeking said:
He had a very calming voice and manner. I can understand using him to go to sleep! LOL! No doubt a lot of women got their Zen from Bob.
There is a lot of variation.

8 hours Bob Ross voice Rainstorm

Fall asleep to Bob Ross telling Stories

Some people just want to listen to the brush.

Fall Asleep FAST to 8 Hours of Bob Ross Brush Sounds​

Or just Brush Tapping

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and Ivan Seeking
To induce sleep I used to read The Greening of America.

Here's a new one, from the UK (don't know if the same marketing scheme operates across the pond!)

We have a radio advert for Mcdonalds, which I honestly find so amusing. It's one of those things where it is actually advising against buying the product, if you actually think about it at all!

"Like getting your money's worth? Buy a burger for 99p!"

Seriously? They're telling you that this burger is only worth 99p, and is therefore going to be tiny and made from all the bits of the horse cow which nobody wants and are therefore cheap! and yet, people actually think "huh, that means I'll be getting a substantial burger for really cheap!"

While watching the TV news this morning I was reminded of the recent "in thing" among local law firms (the ones that advertise on TV, anyway): single-digit telephone numbers like 222-2222, 333-3333, 888-8888 and 999-9999.

As far as I know, this is a relatively new thing, just within the past few years. What's up with that? How did it get started? Is it even a nationwide thing, or just a local or regional oddity?

[added] Aha, it's not just here. I turned up a newspaper article from Springfield, Missouri.

jtbell said:
While watching the TV news this morning I was reminded of the recent "in thing" among local law firms (the ones that advertise on TV, anyway): single-digit telephone numbers like 222-2222, 333-3333, 888-8888 and 999-9999.

As far as I know, this is a relatively new thing, just within the past few years. What's up with that? How did it get started? Is it even a nationwide thing, or just a local or regional oddity?

[added] Aha, it's not just here. I turned up a newspaper article from Springfield, Missouri.
The local police's phone number is 776-3333 and was 372-3333 20 years ago or so.

I think it might have used to be only 3333 back when only 4 numbers were needed. It seems that a lot of police departments have a XXX-3333 phone mumber in North America, and I suspect that it was the unofficial 911 of the time (when phone numbers were 4-digit long, that is).

Camouflage tent ropes. Those miserable things are hard enough to see in the daytime, and invisible after dusk even with a flashlight.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and DaveC426913
Camouflage? How about US Navy blue camouflage uniforms:

1632791041357.png

• Haha
Likes Hornbein and BillTre
jtbell said:

For my lawyer you just dial 666.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Hornbein, jack action and 1 other person
Using the Liénard–Wiechert potentials for a moving charge, for an observer at some point S, we find that even though the field detected at S comes from the retarded position of the charge, the Electric Field Vector points towards [or away from] the current position of the charge.

I think this proves physics is really just magic in disguise.

And why did Maxwell make such lousy coffee?

I once got a pre-approved credit card. However my application was rejected. The pre-approval was contingent on approval of the application.

Likes jack action
1632874142071.png

The universe blinked the first time I saw Euler's Identity. Whaaaaaaaaat?! I understand the math but Whaaaaaaaaat?

That was right up there with time slows down, live-dead cats, Spooky Action, unavoidable uncertainty, and closed timelike curves. But the more my reality fails the more I like it!

Oh yes, and let's not forget "You can fill it but you can never paint it!"

Likes Hamiltonian
Hornbein said:
I once got a pre-approved credit card. However my application was rejected. The pre-approval was contingent on approval of the application.
I'm an identity theft victim, so I froze and put an alert on my credit. The idea is to make it impossible for me, and also the people impersonating me, from being able to get a loan. The next few days I started getting all kinds of offers for preapproved loans. It's good to know those preapproved loans might still require approval. I'de like my loan approval to be contingent on a DNA test.

Last edited:
Did anyone mention tip screens on ipads at places people previously didn't tip. People are now getting tips for taking your money. This didn't make sense until 2020.

Another one is commercials during trailers for movies; basically commercials during commercials. How long until the commercial commercials have commercials too?

Last edited:
Jarvis323 said:
Did anyone mention tip screens on ipads at places people previously didn't tip. People are now getting tips for taking your money. This didn't make sense until 2020.

Another one is commercials during trailers for movies; basically commercials during commercials. How long until the commercial commercials have commercials too?
From time to time I will search You Tube for a commercial and have to watch a commercial to see it.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and berkeman
Ivan Seeking said:
From time to time I will search You Tube for a commercial and have to watch a commercial to see it.
Yes, but is it a commercial for a competing product? Now *that* would be smart advertising! :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, hutchphd, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
BillTre said:
The lay fish designation is an older term than the fish as defined by biology.
Its seems to just refer to some animal living in the water. This meaning has been around for a long time.

Shellfish is another good example: molluscs and crustaceans (and maybe some other things).
Neither are anything like a fish (to biology), and they aren't even closely related to each other.
This has even come up in law. there are old treaties defining fishing rights. One case came up invoking a treaty of, if I remember, the 13th century. Some category or other was entitled to take fish from certain seas (this was in the Channel Islands if I remember) but they were taking lobsters etc. which was contested.It was ruled that lobsters were fish at the time of the treaty.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
epenguin said:
This has even come up in law. there are old treaties defining fishing rights.
Moby Dick, the "Royal Fish."

What makes no sense?

William Shatner will go to space in about a week aboard Blue Origin. He has been to space many, many times. He should give someone else a chance.

• Haha
Likes jtbell, Keith_McClary, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
What makes no sense?

William Shatner will go to space in about a week aboard Blue Origin. He has been to space many, many times. He should give someone else a chance.

st tumblr_mubbrdAQdf1r60h6bo3_250.gif

st tumblr_mubbrdAQdf1r60h6bo4_250.gif

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
Camouflage? How about US Navy blue camouflage uniforms:

View attachment 289814
I think the point is that if they fall overboard, the enemy will not be able to find them. I'm not sure this has been thought through all the way.

Likes Ivan Seeking, Vanadium 50 and Twigg
  • Haha
Likes DaveC426913 and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
He just hopes nothing is outside and looking back.
Something on the wing??