Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
DaveC426913 said:
Yep. Nuthin' like a hidden bomb that beeps loudly and flashes a bright light, telling the whole world where it is.
Oh, and here's a ten second visual and audio lead up to the final boom - so you know when to run.
And don't forget the the bad guy always uses a blue wire and a red wire so that the hero gets to sweat deciding which one to cut.

Likes Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
And don't forget the the bad guy always uses a blue wire and a red wire so that the hero gets to sweat deciding which one to cut.
But we all know the bombs never blow. The timers only count down to 3, 2, or 1, and then stop.

pinball1970 said:
Synth drum…..why didn’t anyone say, “This sounds pretty naff to be honest let's drop that idea?”

I was going to write a response about Bill Bruford but here's a better source:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/ele...ed-the-bar-for-electronic-and-hybrid-drumming

Start with Danny Carey (#2). If you like rock music and haven't heard Crimson's Absent Lover's: Live in Montreal that's a good example of 'early' synth drums by the pioneering Bruford.

• Love
Likes atyy
Ivan Seeking said:
But we all know the bombs never blow. The timers only count down to 3, 2, or 1, and then stop.
Well, sometimes they only make it down to 007

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • Haha
Likes Bystander, strangerep, BillTre and 2 others
Ivan Seeking said:
Haha that's true!

Somebody's going to turn this cliche on its head one day.

"Why don't you have a countdown display on your bomb?"
"Don't you watch TV?? Everybody knows those things are defective! Ever seen one actually blow?"

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
phinds said:
The bomb diffusing business would be a lot easier if bombs came marked as US or European color codes.

My favorite twist on this was in The Abyss. Because of the lighting he couldn't see the colors! LOL!

Likes Klystron and DaveC426913
brainpushups said:
I was going to write a response about Bill Bruford but here's a better source:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/ele...ed-the-bar-for-electronic-and-hybrid-drumming

Start with Danny Carey (#2). If you like rock music and haven't heard Crimson's Absent Lover's: Live in Montreal that's a good example of 'early' synth drums by the pioneering Bruford.
I adore YES , I have seen them about 5 times some with Bruford.

This though is just not my school of drumming, it’s the Neil Peart school which is as much about different sounds as it is content ie what you actually play.

This link kind of sums it up.

Compare that to this from the same year.

I know it is about personal preference but the fact hardly anyone uses them much these days should tell you something.

There is an in between sound I also do not like, the drums come with the mike already inside the drum, much easier for the engineer probably but it makes the sound plastic.

Ian Paice is a good example. 1970? Amazing sound by 1982 something had happened to the sound, more top but the actual sound changed to something that in the normal timbre and this was down to “improved” PA systems and mikes.

I noticed it at Knebworth 1985

Now he uses those Mike toms which sound unauthentic to me, like they are going through an effects peddle.

Shame because he always was the best rock drummer for me.
Buddy obviously number one all round.

pinball1970 said:
I know it is about personal preference but the fact hardly anyone uses them much these days should tell you something.

My college roommate freshmen year was the first seat big band drummer at school and he is the one who introduced me to Buddy Rich. So. Good.

I agree with you about the majority of 'synth-sounding' drum effects. I think my point was just that electronic drums can sound good, but I want drums to sound like drums (or at least something 'naturally percussive'). If someone programmed their synth pads to quack like ducks it probably wouldn't float my boat. Same goes for guitar (which is what I play) – I don't want effects to make it sound like something that isn't a guitar.

Someone shared this video with me last week and I guess it fits with this thread well. I guess it's kind of cool, but I'm not sure why I'd like my guitar to sound like a piano. I could just play piano (or a just-as-easy to transport piano synthesizer).

off topic offramp small.jpg

Likes epenguin, Tom.G, Keith_McClary and 2 others
338 people in the US died preventable [or mostly preventable] deaths from Covid yesterday.

Ivan Seeking said:
338 people in the US died preventable deaths from Covid yesterday.
But apparently that makes perfectly good sense to the tens of millions of anti-vaxers in the US. As Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid"

On the other hand:
1626444725210.png

Likes hutchphd and CalcNerd
phinds said:
But apparently that makes perfectly good sense to the tens of millions of anti-vaxers in the US. As Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid"

On the other hand:
View attachment 286050

For the last 5+ years I've felt like Dorothy: "Toto, ... we're not in Kansas anymore"

Likes Klystron, hutchphd, CalcNerd and 2 others
Today in life's great mysteries:

Am I just a fool with a ground loop, or does the vacuum field oscillate at 60Hz? :oldconfused:

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Ivan Seeking, davenn and 1 other person
Twigg said:
Today in life's great mysteries:

Am I just a fool with a ground loop, or does the vacuum field oscillate at 60Hz? :oldconfused:
SO ... you think that in the entire universe for all time the vacuum field is set to what in very recent times we humans decided to use as the frequency for our AC power? Sure. Just go with that. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and Twigg
Twigg said:
or does the vacuum field oscillate at 60Hz? :oldconfused:
Now THAT would be funny!

Likes phinds
Vanadium 50 said:
If they have cheesed me off, I mail the reply envelope back, empty.

When I was a grad student, a bank literally littered thousands of credit cars apps on the campus. Some other students and I picked them all up, and mailed all the BRMs back to them. It must have cost them thousands.
Abbie Hoffman in his '71 book "Steal This Book" advocated attaching any BRM envelope or card to a brick or whatever heavy thing and mailing that to inflict punitive mailing costs.

phinds said:
SO ... you think that in the entire universe for all time the vacuum field is set to what in very recent times we humans decided to use as the frequency for our AC power? Sure. Just go with that.
This reminds me of a quote. Some atomic physicist said the rubidium atom was "God's gift to atomic physics" because there's a major transition at 780nm, and 780nm diode lasers are widely available because they were used to read CD's. Hmmmm...

The potentillas in the "hedge" were bought from a nursery. The one in the foreground just grew there.
S6300572.JPG

some bloke said:
I'll open with this: Touch screens in cars.

Who decided that this was a good idea? Particularly when the touch screen also controls the radio?
Come on, nowadays even the panels in spaceships have touchscreens.

• Haha
Likes 2milehi
Leo Liu said:
How often does the spaceship in front of you slam on its brakes all of a sudden?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jack action, pinball1970, Twigg and 2 others
phinds said:
How often does the spaceship in front of you slam on its breaks all of a sudden?
You have to watch the ones with the warning on the bumper: Caution! Student Astronaut.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
some bloke said:
Touch screens in cars.

Leo Liu said:

phinds said:
How often does the spaceship in front of you slam on its breaks all of a sudden?
(bold added)

Slightly strange wording but...Perfect!

• Haha
Likes phinds
Tom.G said:
Slightly strange wording but...Perfect!
Fixed. Thanks. When typing on my computer, autocomplete is my worse enema.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Klystron, epenguin, collinsmark and 2 others
Fixed. Thanks.
Spoil sport!

some bloke said:
This is an open discussion for people to voice their thoughts on things which just make no sense to them. And for others to possibly elucidate for them to help them understand.

Why is wood filler sold in tubs whose tops don't seal well?

Stephen Tashi said:
So you'll have to buy more sooner.

Likes BillTre
Stephen Tashi said:
They used to be, but they had complaints from people who had trouble opening or re-closing them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
phinds said:
How often does the spaceship in front of you slam on its brakes all of a sudden?
I see someone has been watching Spaceballs:

Likes Bystander
Every time I hear someone in a movie or TV program refer to time-space I have to cringe. Who did that??

It is space-time not time-space

Time-Space is a time share in Florida.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
Ivan Seeking said:
Every time I hear someone in a movie or TV program refer to time-space I have to cringe. Who did that??

It is space-time not time-space
Reported for being spacist.

"In a spacist society, it is not enough to be non-spacist. We must be pro-timeist."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
Ivan Seeking said:
(1905)
That is so 30 seconds ago...