Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
berkeman said:
That is so 30 seconds ago...
You must be older than I thought...?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does a left refrigerator handle go on the right?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why does a left refrigerator handle go on the right?
Because that side in unhinged.

• Sad
Likes epenguin
I've gone practically unhinged thinking about this, that's for sure.

Why do so many physics departments have excellent machine shops and so few have passable electronics shops? I don't think I know anyone in research who needs mechanical parts more often than they need circuits.

Twigg said:
Why do so many physics departments have excellent machine shops and so few have passable electronics shops? I don't think I know anyone in research who needs mechanical parts more often than they need circuits.
They have had an extra 150 years to have machine shops.

• Haha
Likes atyy
jtbell said:
Have you ever noticed that the people who run college football conferences have apparently forgotten how to count?

My own favorite, the Big Ten, actually has 14 teams, after adding 4 new teams beginning in 1990.
Most of them are failed computer science majors. They count in base 14

Likes DaveC426913
I just received a solid steel drill chuck that arrived in a nice plastic container. The label on the front side is self explanatory:
Chuck1.jpg

There is another label on the opposite side:
Chuck2.jpg

How does a solid steel chuck cause cancer in California? It was not even coated with preservative oil.

Likes atyy
jrmichler said:
How does a solid steel chuck cause cancer in California? It was not even coated with preservative oil.
Manufacturers have given up trying to guess what products might run afoul of CA's strict labeling requirements, so everything that is ever sold in CA gets that kind of label. It has become meaningless, as you noticed.

• Sad
Likes atyy, jack action, Bystander and 3 others
jrmichler said:
I just received a solid steel drill chuck that arrived in a nice plastic container. The label on the front side is self explanatory:
View attachment 287150
View attachment 287151
Maybe the plastic packaging? I have no clue. I do know that we were required to put such notices into our electronics product boxes over the last few years, but I have no clue why.

Likes atyy and Klystron
phinds said:
Manufacturers have given up trying to guess what products might run afoul of CA's strict labeling requirements, so everything that is ever sold in CA gets that kind of label. It has become meaningless, as you noticed.
I work in a furniture warehouse in Canada. We receive couches made of cows, trees, and perhaps a tad of vinyl from Italy, China, Vietnam, all with "This may cause cancer in California" warnings. Ridiculous.

Likes atyy
jrmichler said:
View attachment 287150
View attachment 287151
This is the generic "short form" warning:
https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/warn...h-listed-carcinogen-and-reproductive-toxicant
"By requiring that this information be provided, Proposition 65 enables Californians to make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals." :rolleyes:

jrmichler said:
View attachment 287150
View attachment 287151
https://www.metalsdepot.com/assets/files/Page-Editor-Files/MetalsDepotSDS-Steel-2018.pdf

Nickel, cobalt, ... realistically its the contamination from additives that are in steel.
Not the iron or carbon that should be fairly safe to chew on.
But these compounds iron for example can be toxic to fish .

Keith_McClary said:
..."informed decisions"...
Living in California, I must say that many (most?) such labels are decidedly lacking in the "info" aspect.

Mondayman said:
I work in a furniture warehouse in Canada. We receive couches made of cows, trees, and perhaps a tad of vinyl from Italy, China, Vietnam, all with "This may cause cancer in California" warnings. Ridiculous.
In spite of the above, wood is often treated or processed with some nasty stuff, especially wood referred to as "wood product."

The vinyl is on the Prop. 65 list as "Vinyl chloride" with the "Type of Toxicity" being "cancer."

The 22 page PDF of the Proposition 65 chemicals is at:
https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65/p65list12182020.pdf

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Mondayman
Tom.G said:
Living in California, I must say that many (most?) such labels are decidedly lacking in the "info" aspect.
Big +1.

Tom.G said:
In spite of the above, wood is often treated or processed with some nasty stuff, especially wood referred to as "wood product."

The vinyl is on the Prop. 65 list as "Vinyl chloride" with the "Type of Toxicity" being "cancer."

The 22 page PDF of the Proposition 65 chemicals is at:
https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65/p65list12182020.pdf

Cheers,
Tom
I know about wood, but I never knew that about vinyl. Makes me fear for my safety. Good thing I'm leaving my job to join the infantry.

• Haha
Likes OCR
Mondayman said:
It's usually the foam, flame retardents, and coatings, that people are concerned with.

https://time.com/4462892/couch-cancer-flame-retardants/

Likes Mondayman
berkeman said:
Interesting, thanks for the list. Do you know why some of the chemicals have been "Delisted"? Was the original study data that got them listed later discredited or something?
Various reasons, for instance:
..original entity classifying as carcinogenic changed their classification;

..Chlorsulfuron was added to the list on May 14, 1999, based on its formal identification by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), an authoritative body2, as causing reproductive toxicity. On November 18, 2013, U.S. EPA concluded that there is no compelling evidence of reproductive toxicity for chlorsulfuron3.

List of 768 delisted items and the reason for each is at:
https://oehha.ca.gov/serp?search=delisted

Have fun reading them,
Tom

• Informative
Likes berkeman
A guide service sold trips to the top of K2 in winter. Winter was unpopular so to attract climbers the trips were half price.

You can guess what subsequently happened.

Bystander said:
The "Watchman" ad, barefoot gallop along a dock/pier by an elderly gent barely missing rusty, badly driven crooked nail-heads.
..., and, now with an elderly female; got to stay woke...same crooked, rusty nail-heads.

Lumpenproletariat

N
Tom.G said:
According to Google that roughly translates to 'rag workman.'

Not so much what Tom refers to. I meant it in it's technical/political sense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpenproletariat

Edit:
This is one of several things history has proved Marx wrong on. He thought workers (the Proletariat) would largely co-operate together to negotiate better pay and working conditions. However, he acknowledged that perhaps a few really desperate workers (the Lumpenproletariat) might undermine this by competing for lesser conditions, rather than co-cooperating with their fellow workers for better ones. Today it seems, Marx got the ratios of these two kinds of workers reversed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Hornbein
Size should matter!

If you take a string and wrap it around a Coke can and pull it tight, and then add 1 foot to the length, you can make a uniform gap of about 1.9 inches all the way around the can.

If you take a string and wrap it around the Earth and pull it tight, and then add 1 foot to the length, you can make a uniform gap of about 1.9 inches all the way around the earth.

The size of the gap is independent of the total circumference of the object. The math is simple enough but it has never made sense intuitively.

It's like I always say, size should matter!

Likes BillTre and hutchphd
"Do not take 'X' if you are allergic to 'X'," seen often on U.S. advertisements for pharmaceuticals; perhaps a global phenomenon.

From today's credit card statement:
Credit card.jpg

Does this mean that I need to send them a check for $0.00?

• Haha
Likes Monsterboy, PeroK and sysprog
@jrmichler:
If I owed them $58.45, I would send it in via instrument or transmit it electronically, and would also disregard the threat about the $38.00, except that I would try to never do business with them again.

sysprog said:
@jrmichler:
If I owed them $58.45, I would send it in via instrument or transmit it electronically, and would also disregard the threat about the $38.00, except that I would try to never do business with them again.
I think the "CR" means that it is a credit balance. The lender owes the customer $57.45. Sending money would just make the problem worse.

• Haha
Likes PeroK and sysprog
jbriggs444 said:
I think the "CR" means that it is a credit balance. The lender owes the customer $57.45. Sending money would just make the problem worse.
I didn't notice that ##-## maybe because I've never overpaid a lender ##-## I think that you're right.

jbriggs444 said:

sysprog said:
I didn't notice that maybe because I've never overpaid a lender I think that you're right.
Well, are you going to argue with them?

• Haha
Likes sysprog
jrmichler said:
From today's credit card statement:
View attachment 289234
Does this mean that I need to send them a check for $0.00?
So they pay you? Send them a letter with a $10 admin fee