Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence

In summary, the person is interested in engaging in scientific activities but is having trouble choosing between Laser Physics and Artificial Intelligence. However, they have heard that AI can be boring and they do not like studying math in large quantities. The expert suggests that the person may not enjoy either field and that studying math is necessary for any scientific activity. They also mention that not all biology requires math.
ahs
Hello.
I have a bachelor degree in physics and I'm an embedded programmer now.
I would like to engage in scientific activities, but I can't choose the area: Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition...).
I heard opinion that artificial intelligence - the area is quite boring, mainly related to the meticulous study of algorithms or "primitive selection of parameters for algorithms and preparation of input data for them."
By the way, I do not like studying mathematics in large quantities.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahs said:
like studying mathematics in large quantities.

Then I believe you will enjoy neither Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence.

The fact that you have listed two fields with so little in common suggests that you like the "idea" of these fields but you really know nothing about them. Do you research than follow what interests you.

ahs said:
I would like to engage in scientific activities
By the way, I do not like studying mathematics in large quantities.

Sorry, but those two statements are just contradictory.

You can't "engage in" any form of "scientific activity", except for reading pop-sci books, without "studying math in large quantities".

AlephZero said:
Sorry, but those two statements are just contradictory.

You can't "engage in" any form of "scientific activity", except for reading pop-sci books, without "studying math in large quantities".

unless you are doing biology or chemistry (at least some chemistry).

Physics_UG said:
unless you are doing biology or chemistry (at least some chemistry).

Sounds like you aren't really up-to-date with current biology.

analogdesign said:
Sounds like you aren't really up-to-date with current biology.

not all biology involves math so you can certainly do some biology without extensive math. I thought it was rather clear what I meant.

Related to Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence

1. What is laser physics?

Laser physics is the study of the properties, generation, and interaction of laser light. This includes understanding the principles of light amplification, emission, and coherence in order to design and develop laser technology for various applications.

2. How does a laser work?

A laser works by using a process called stimulated emission, where atoms in a material are excited by a source of energy and release photons of light in a specific direction. These photons then interact with other excited atoms, creating a cascade effect that produces a coherent beam of light.

3. What are some applications of lasers?

Laser technology has a wide range of applications, including but not limited to: telecommunications, medical procedures, manufacturing, military and defense, and entertainment. Lasers are also used in research and scientific experiments.

4. What is artificial intelligence (AI)?

Artificial intelligence is a branch of computer science that focuses on creating intelligent machines that can perform tasks that typically require human intelligence. This includes tasks such as learning, problem-solving, and decision-making.

5. How does AI work?

AI works by using algorithms and statistical models to analyze data and make predictions or decisions based on that data. These algorithms are designed to mimic the way the human brain processes information and learns from it. AI systems can also improve and adapt their performance over time through machine learning techniques.