What courses should I take for a career in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics?

In summary: The computer engineering program at Cal State Long Beach is with the CECS department, meaning the courses consit of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. The CECS department does offer a Artificial Intelligence class as part of the Computer Engineering program. The A.I. Course description is "Introduction to the history and implementation of artificial intelligence agents. Topics include search, constraint satisfaction, game-playing, logical agents, belief networks, optimal sequential decision systems. Project implementation." I think the CECS course would provide more valuable information and technology to be in this field.
younginprogres
Hello, my options for school are Cal State Long Beach and Cal Poly Pomona. My career plan is to get into the field of Artificial Intelligence of/in Robotics, robots, mechatronics.

I do not know what major to choose, from what i heard of either computer engineering or computer science. I am mostly going for Computer Engineering but the schools have differences in their CE programs;

The computer engineering program offered at Cal Poly Pomona is on the ECE department so the courses consists of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The ECE department offers a Robotic Electronics I course which is descripted as "Introduction to robotics. Kinematics, position analysis, Denavit-Hartenberg representation, differential motion, dynamic analysis and control. Trajectory planning, actuators, sensors and low-level robotic vision. Artificial intelligence". It says artificial intelligence but in order for me to have more knowledge from cal poly pomona on artificial intelligence i would have to get a minor in Computer Science or complete a CS sequence. the description of the A.I. course is "Overview of the different application areas of Al. Introduction to basic Al concepts and techniques such as heuristic search, knowledge representation, automated reasoning. In-depth discussion of several Al application areas: their specific problems, tools and techniques. Consideration of ethical and social dilemmas posed by Al. 4 lectures/problem-solving." The CS department also offers a robotic class: CS499: Robotics which is described as "This course introduces software issues involved in the development of intelligent robotics, including software control architectures, localization, navigation, sensing, and planning.", which seems more to what I am looking for.

The computer engineering program at Cal State Long Beach is with the CECS department, meaning the courses consit of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. The CECS department does offer a Artificial Intelligence class as part of the Computer Engineering program. The A.I. Course description is "Introduction to the history and implementation of artificial intelligence agents. Topics include search, constraint satisfaction, game-playing, logical agents, belief networks, optimal sequential decision systems. Project implementation." I do not think or i have not found a class on robotics on Cal State Long Beach. but i did found a CECS course on Hardware/Software Co-design which the description is "Introduction to top-down methods for hardware/software system-on-chip co-design. Design flow – system specification, software implementation, hardware synthesis, system design, and verification. Process optimization with various design decisions emphasized. Projects/case studies using system-level design methods and tools."

Which program would provide more valuable information and technology to be in this field. If anyone in here has experience or is in the field of Artificial Intelligence/Robotics what would be your opinion on this? Is their any other courses i am missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm going to move this to Engineering as I know there are some robotics folk there :)

1. What educational background is required for a career in robotics?

The most common educational background for a career in robotics is a degree in engineering, specifically in fields such as mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering. However, some employers may also consider candidates with a background in computer science or applied mathematics.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in robotics?

Some important skills for a career in robotics include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

3. What types of industries or companies hire robotics engineers?

Robotics engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, aerospace, and defense. They may also be employed by companies that specialize in robotics and automation technology.

4. How important is hands-on experience in the robotics field?

Hands-on experience is crucial for a successful career in robotics. It allows individuals to apply their knowledge and skills in a practical setting, gain a deeper understanding of concepts, and develop problem-solving abilities. Many employers also prefer candidates with hands-on experience in robotics projects.

5. What steps can I take to advance my career in robotics?

To advance your career in robotics, you can consider pursuing higher education, such as a master's or PhD degree, specializing in a specific area of robotics, and gaining experience through internships or projects. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on the latest advancements and technologies can also help in career advancement.