Artificial intelligence: what double degree to choose?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in artificial intelligence and machine learning and is seeking advice on what degree or minor to choose along with computer science. They are considering options such as computer engineering/electrical engineering, neuroscience, and cognitive psychology. They also plan on obtaining an advanced degree.
happyslapper
My only dream in life is to develop a robot that has common sense and wisdom and pretty much be as smart as a human that can help society solve ISIS, food shortages etc.

So I am choosing Computer Science next year for university.

Though I have heard that doing the degree purely is too dry and not practical for the workforce. I want(and will) major in artificial intelligence/machine learning. So I was wondering if you guys could suggest the perfect minor degree or double to go with computer science to increase my competitive edge in artificial intelligence.

I also like robotics so I was considering doing a double with CS and computer engineering/electrical engineering.

I was also considering majoring in both ML and neuroscience so I can have inspiration from mother nature when inventing algorithms or a better understanding on how HARD intelligence systems could better interact with humans.

I'm also up for cognitive psychology if it will help me in developing these systems.

So what double should I choose(or minor)?

And I'm from Australia, if that helps

Physics news on Phys.org
Who keeps saying computer science isn't practicable? It's certainly more practicable than something like cognitive psychology as a bachelors.

Machine learning is in use for things like search engines. There is no real artificial intelligence yet, or any kind of theoretical framework to develop from. So, suggesting a minor/second major that will benefit what you want to do is difficult. The neuroscience minor/major or some type of biology/biophysics might help.

You should also plan on obtaining an advanced degree (MS or PhD).

happyslapper said:
I also like robotics so I was considering doing a double with CS and computer engineering/electrical engineering.

I was also considering majoring in both ML and neuroscience so I can have inspiration from mother nature when inventing algorithms or a better understanding on how HARD intelligence systems could better interact with humans.

that first option would work.

a lot of AI researchers major in computational neuroscience.

1. What is artificial intelligence?

Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines, allowing them to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as problem-solving, decision making, and learning.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree in artificial intelligence?

A double degree in artificial intelligence offers a unique combination of technical and analytical skills, making graduates highly sought-after in various industries. This degree can open up opportunities in fields such as data science, robotics, and machine learning.

3. Which disciplines are typically paired with artificial intelligence in a double degree program?

Common disciplines paired with artificial intelligence in a double degree program include computer science, mathematics, engineering, and cognitive science. These disciplines provide a strong foundation for understanding and developing AI technologies.

4. What career options are available with a double degree in artificial intelligence?

Graduates with a double degree in artificial intelligence can pursue a variety of careers, including data scientist, machine learning engineer, robotics engineer, AI researcher, and software developer. These roles are in high demand in industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology.

5. How can I choose the right double degree program in artificial intelligence?

When choosing a double degree program in artificial intelligence, consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research the curriculum, faculty, and opportunities for hands-on experience in AI projects. It is also helpful to speak with current students and alumni to gain insights into the program.