Advanced engineering/science courses for working professionals

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter elgen
  • Start date
elgen
Greetings, forum users. I have been working as an electric engineer for more than ten years. There is a potential project at work that demands graduate level knowledge in numerical methods and electrodynamics. I wonder if there is any good way to catch up in these fields.

It is not practical to get a graduate degree at this stage in my career. The closest I have found is some course pages that post the notes and homework. In the meanwhile, I wonder if any university offers non-degree courses, and students can interact with instructors and other students. Interactions benefit the learning experience.

Thank you for the attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
A number of universities in the US offer "continuing education" courses that are open to professionals and other applicants. And sometimes the larger companies will cover the cost of such courses, and help you with registration.

When I worked at HP here in Silicon Valley a number of years ago, I took such courses from UC Berkeley (and maybe Stanford). One class was on Antennas, which I used in my work on EMC compliance at HP. One other was in Nuclear Fusion (which I may have paid for myself, since I wasn't working in that area when I was at HP).

Likes DeBangis21, Vanadium 50, elgen and 1 other person
OP: In addition to the university option discussed above, there are also private instructors (often moonlighting professors) that teach courses outside of a university (e.g., in a conference room at a hotel). If your company is large enough and there are enough students within the company, they will teach tailored courses at your company.

Likes elgen
Thank you both for sharing the experience!

University of Florida offered graduate courses, evening hours, in their palm beach gardens campus. Attended by mostly Pratt & Whitney and FPL engineers. They catered to both degree seeking or not.

• Informative
Likes elgen and berkeman
Washington in Seattle does something similar, popular with Boeing.

There is surely a lot out there if one looks.

1. What are the benefits of taking advanced engineering/science courses as a working professional?

Some of the benefits include staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in your field, expanding your knowledge and skillset, improving your job prospects and potential for career advancement, and networking opportunities with other professionals.

2. Are these courses suitable for professionals with non-engineering/science backgrounds?

Yes, many advanced engineering/science courses are designed to be accessible to professionals from various backgrounds. However, it is important to do some research and ensure that you have the necessary prerequisite knowledge or skills before enrolling in a course.

3. How can I balance taking advanced courses while working full-time?

Many universities and institutions offer flexible options for professionals, such as evening or weekend classes, online courses, and part-time options. It is also important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to balance work and studying.

4. Are there any financial aid options available for working professionals taking advanced courses?

Yes, there are often scholarships, grants, and other financial aid options available for working professionals. It is recommended to research and apply for any relevant options before enrolling in a course.

5. Will taking advanced courses as a working professional enhance my resume?

Yes, advanced engineering/science courses can show potential employers that you are committed to continuous learning and staying current in your field. They can also demonstrate your dedication and passion for your profession.