JOHN's question at Yahoo Answers involving Lagrange multipliers

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about using the method of Lagrange multipliers to find the maximal cross-sectional area of a rectangular beam cut from an elliptical log with semiaxis lengths of 2 ft and 1 ft. The solution involves setting up an objective function and constraint, using Lagrange multipliers to find the optimal values for x and y, and ultimately finding that the maximal area is 4 ft^2. The conversation ends with an invitation to post similar problems in a forum for further discussion.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Calc 3 Lagrange multiplier question?

What is the maximal cross-sectional area of a rectangular beam cut from an elliptical log with semiaxis of length 2 feet and 1 foot?

I need help on applying the method of lagrange to this scenario. Thank you

Here is a link to the question:

Calc 3 Lagrange multiplier question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello JOHN,

I would choose to orient my coordinate axes such that the origin coincides with the center of the elliptical cross-section of the log, where all linear measures are in ft. Now looking only at the first quadrant, let's let the upper right vertex of the cross section of the rectangular beam be at $(x,y)$. Hence, adding the other 3 quadrants, we find the area of this rectangular cross-section, i.e., our objective function is:

\(\displaystyle A(x,y)=4xy\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=x^2+4y^2-4=0\)

Using Lagrange multipliers, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle 4y=\lambda(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle 4x=\lambda(8y)\)

Solving both for $\lambda$, and equating, we find:

\(\displaystyle \lambda=\frac{4y}{2x}=\frac{4x}{8y}\)

Simplifying, we find:

\(\displaystyle x^2=4y^2\)

Substituting this into the constraint, we find:

\(\displaystyle 4y^2+4y^2=4\)

Solving for $y^2$, we find:

\(\displaystyle y^2=\frac{1}{2}\)

and since:

\(\displaystyle x=2y\), as we have taken the positive root given the two variables are in the first quadrant, we find:

\(\displaystyle A_{\text{max}}=A(2y,y)=8y^2=8\cdot\frac{1}{2}=4\)

Hence, the maximal area of the rectangular cross-section of the beam is $4\text{ ft}^2$.

To JOHN and any other guest viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other optimization with constraint problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to JOHN's question at Yahoo Answers involving Lagrange multipliers

1. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are mathematical tools used to optimize a function subject to constraints. They help find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. When are Lagrange multipliers used?

Lagrange multipliers are typically used in optimization problems where a function needs to be maximized or minimized while satisfying a set of constraints. They are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by introducing a new variable, called a multiplier, to the original function and creating a new function. This new function is then optimized to find the maximum or minimum value, while the original function and constraints are satisfied.

4. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for any type of function?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for both single-variable and multi-variable functions. They can also be used for both continuous and discontinuous functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers?

One limitation of Lagrange multipliers is that they can only be used for constrained optimization problems. They also require the constraints to be differentiable, which may not always be the case. Additionally, they may not always provide the optimal solution, but rather a local maximum or minimum.