Kunal's question at Yahoo Answers regarding Lagrange multipliers

In summary, we can use Lagrange multipliers to find the point (-1/4, 1/e) on the graph of y=e^{4x}, where the value of ab is minimal and equal to -1/4e. This can be done by setting up the necessary system of equations and solving for the critical point.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Use Lagrange multipliers to find the point (a,b) on the graph of y=e^{4 x}, where the value ab is minimal?

Use Lagrange multipliers to find the point (a,b) on the graph of y=e^{4 x}, where the value ab is as small as possible.

I know how to use lagrange multipliers but it isn't working when I follow the formula.

Please help,

Thanks.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Kunal,

We are given the objective function:

\(\displaystyle f(a,b)=ab\)

Subject to the contraint:

\(\displaystyle g(a,b)=b-e^{4a}=0\)

Using Lagrange multipliers, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle b=\lambda\left(-4e^{4a} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle a=\lambda(1)\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle \lambda=a=-\frac{b}{4e^{4a}}\implies b=-4ae^{4a}\)

Now, substituting for $b$ into the constraint, there results:

\(\displaystyle -4ae^{4a}-e^{4a}=0\)

Divide through by $-e^{4a}\ne0$:

\(\displaystyle 4a+1=0\implies a=-\frac{1}{4}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle b=e^{-1}=\frac{1}{e}\)

And so we find the value of the objective function at this point is:

\(\displaystyle f\left(-\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{e} \right)=-\frac{1}{4e}\)

If we observe that at another point on the constraint, such as $\left(0,1 \right)$, we have:

\(\displaystyle f(0,1)=0\)

Since this is greater than the objective function's value at the critical point we found, we can then conclude with assurance that:

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}=-\frac{1}{4e}\)

Related to Kunal's question at Yahoo Answers regarding Lagrange multipliers

1. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to one or more constraints. They allow us to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying certain conditions.

2. How are Lagrange multipliers used in optimization problems?

In optimization problems, Lagrange multipliers are used to find the extreme values of a function while satisfying one or more constraints. They help us to transform a constrained optimization problem into an unconstrained one, making it easier to solve.

3. What is the intuition behind Lagrange multipliers?

The intuition behind Lagrange multipliers is that at the maximum or minimum value of a function, the gradient of the function and the gradient of the constraint must be parallel. This allows us to find the optimal point by setting these two gradients equal to each other and solving for the variables.

4. When should I use Lagrange multipliers in my research?

Lagrange multipliers are most commonly used in research when dealing with optimization problems that involve constraints. They are particularly useful in economics, physics, and engineering, but can be applied to a wide range of disciplines.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers?

While Lagrange multipliers are a powerful tool for solving optimization problems, they do have some limitations. They may not always provide the global optimal solution and can be computationally expensive for complex problems. Additionally, they may not work for non-differentiable constraints or when the number of constraints is greater than the number of variables.