Answerer's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a trigonometric equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a trigonometric equation using the quadratic formula and the identity of sine. It provides two solutions, one for the 4th quadrant and one for the 3rd quadrant, and also mentions the use of a calculator to obtain decimal approximations. The speaker also encourages others to post more questions in the forum.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

PRE-CALC QUESTION!? HELP !?

0<x<2π
3sin^2x - 2sinx - 3 = 0

You can use a calculator and there's only 2 answers

Here is a link to the question:

PRE-CALC QUESTION!? HELP !? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: answerer's question at Yahoo! Answers regarding trigonometric equation

Hello answerer,

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin^2(x)-2\sin(x)-3=0\) where \(\displaystyle 0<x<2\pi\)

Recognizing that we have a quadratic in $\sin(x)$, we may use the quadratic formula to state:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)=\frac{-(-2)\pm\sqrt{(-2)^2-4(3)(-3)}}{2(3)}=\frac{2\pm\sqrt{40}}{6}=\frac{1\pm\sqrt{10}}{3}\)

Since we require \(\displaystyle -1\le\sin(x)\le1\) we discard the positive root, and we are left with:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)=\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle x=\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3} \right)\)

Since this is less than zero, we need to add \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) to get the equivalent angle in the required interval:

\(\displaystyle x=2\pi+\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3} \right)\)

Now, this is the 4th quadrant solution, but we should observe there is also a 3rd quadrant solution, given by:

\(\displaystyle x=\pi-\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3} \right)\)

Note: this comes from the identity \(\displaystyle \sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin(\theta)\).

If we are to use a calculator to obtain decimal approximations, then:

\(\displaystyle x=2\pi+\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3} \right)\approx5.47828834852818\)

\(\displaystyle x=\pi-\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1-\sqrt{10}}{3} \right)\approx3.9464896122412\)

To answerer and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other trigonometry questions here in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f12/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Answerer's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a trigonometric equation

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques, trigonometric identities, and basic trigonometric functions. Start by simplifying the equation using algebraic rules, then use trigonometric identities to express the equation in terms of a single trigonometric function. Finally, use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identity (sin²x + cos²x = 1), the double angle formulas (sin2x = 2sinx cosx, cos2x = cos²x - sin²x), and the sum and difference formulas (sin(x ± y) = sinx cosy ± cosx siny, cos(x ± y) = cosx cos y ∓ sinx siny)

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. Most scientific calculators have built-in trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions that can help you solve equations quickly and accurately.

4. How do I know if there are multiple solutions to a trigonometric equation?

If the equation has a variable with a coefficient greater than 1, or if it involves trigonometric functions with different periods (such as sinx and cosx), there may be multiple solutions. You can also graph the equation to visualize the solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to model and solve problems involving periodic motion, such as the motion of a pendulum or a vibrating string. They are also used in navigation and surveying to calculate distances and angles.