IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology

• Thread starter stevil
  • Start date
In summary, an IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology is someone who works in the field of information technology but also has a strong interest in the study of physics and cosmology. This knowledge can benefit their career by helping them think critically and approach projects from a different perspective. It is not uncommon for IT professionals to have this interest, and they can continue to learn through various means. While it is possible for them to transition into a career in these fields, it may require additional education and training.
stevil
How did you find PF?
google search
I have an interest in Physics and Cosmology. I don't have a strong education in this stuff, and understand that I probably know next to nothing on these topics.
In my later years I do kinda wish I had followed a career in this, because it is fascinating stuff.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your interest is our interest.

Please take some time to read our site guidelines (see link in my signature) as we are a heavily moderated site and don’t discuss fringe science and other topics.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Your interest is our interest.

Please take some time to read our site guidelines (see link in my signature) as we are a heavily moderated site and don’t discuss fringe science and other topics.
Hello, would my thread be considered fringe science?

If you mean your black hole thread, no that is a common question that we see from time to time.

Sometimes, we get people pushing some radical theory or personal theory that has not been peer reviewed and arguments ensue. We don’t tolerate those kinds of threads.

jedishrfu said:
If you mean your black hole thread, no that is a common question that we see from time to time.

Sometimes, we get people pushing some radical theory or personal theory that has not been peer reviewed and arguments ensue. We don’t tolerate those kinds of threads.
That's good to know.

I have thoughts on things, as I expect most people do. I don't have the education to know if my thoughts are things that have been considered or are unfeasible. I certainly wouldn't push my thoughts as if they are the way reality is. So I'm not trying to push a personal theory.

But I don't know enough to know whether my thoughts are bonkers or not. I'm quite happy to learn, I am quite happy to change my thoughts based on things people can enlighten me on.

I'm a bit nervous about my thread. First time participating on a physics forum, I'm not wanting to flame or show that I have a brilliant theory. I am wanting to learn. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Your thread is fine and you got some good answers too.

Related to IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology

1. What is an "IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology"?

An IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology is someone who works in the field of information technology but also has a strong interest in the study of physics and cosmology. They may not have a formal education or career in these fields, but they enjoy learning about and exploring these topics in their free time.

2. How does an IT professional's knowledge in Physics and Cosmology benefit their career?

Having knowledge in Physics and Cosmology can benefit an IT professional in various ways. It can help them understand complex concepts and theories, think critically and problem-solve, and approach projects from a different perspective. Additionally, it can also make them more well-rounded and knowledgeable in discussions and collaborations with colleagues.

3. Is it common for IT professionals to have an interest in Physics and Cosmology?

It is not uncommon for IT professionals to have an interest in Physics and Cosmology. Many people in the IT field have a strong passion for science and technology, and these subjects often overlap. Plus, with the increasing integration of technology in scientific research, having knowledge in both areas can be beneficial.

4. How can an IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology continue to learn and stay updated?

There are many ways for an IT professional to continue learning about Physics and Cosmology. They can read books, attend lectures or seminars, watch documentaries, join online communities or forums, and even take online courses. It's also helpful to follow reputable sources and experts in these fields to stay updated on new developments and discoveries.

5. Can an IT professional with a passing interest in Physics and Cosmology transition into a career in these fields?

While it is possible for an IT professional to transition into a career in Physics or Cosmology, it may require additional education and training. However, their knowledge and skills in information technology can also be valuable in these fields, such as in data analysis and simulation. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's interests, goals, and dedication to pursuing a new career path.