Is there a way to save a thread as a PDF?

• Thread starter Wes Turner
  • Start date
In summary, there are limitations to saving or downloading an entire thread as a PDF due to the equations being rendered by the browser via Javascript. However, there are browser tools and utilities available such as BullZIP, CutePDF, and PDFForge that can accommodate for this and allow for printing and combining of multiple pages. One option is to use the browser's "Save As PDF" feature, but it may cause crashes with too much LaTeX. Alternatively, there are free utilities such as CombinePDF that can combine multiple PDFs into one.
Wes Turner
Is there a way to save or download an entire thread as a PDF for viewing offline?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, we've tried, the issue is the equations. They are rendered by the browser via javascript. No PDF converter I've ever seen would accommodate for that. This also limits printing of threads.

Attachments

• The physics of the inclined pushup _ Physics Forums (PDFForge).pdf
    590.2 KB · Views: 213
  • The physics of the inclined pushup _ Physics Forums (Bullzip).pdf
    522.9 KB · Views: 216
  • The physics of the inclined pushup _ Physics Forums (Cutepdf).pdf
    747.5 KB · Views: 222
Likes Tom.G and Greg Bernhardt
For what it's worth, in Firefox under MacOS, I selected a thread that was contained on one page, then chose File --> Print --> PDF --> Save as PDF, and got the attached file. The LaTeX equations look OK to me, on a quick glance. If the thread had spread out over more than one page, I would have had to repeat this for each page, then use something to join the PDFs together. I have the full (paid) version of Adobe Acrobat, so this wouldn't be a problem for me. There may be free utilities to combine PDFs.

Attachments

• Velocity.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 301
These are browser tools that can use the browsers' LaTeX rendering. An option where the forum provides a PDF can't do that in the same way.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
In Opera for Windows, this can be done using the default "Save As PDF" feature. However, pages with too much LaTex crash during creation of the pdf, and the reason given is "out of memory". Maybe that problem occurs in my computer, but in general, the page can be saved.

jtbell said:
There may be free utilities to combine PDFs.
The one that I use frequently is https://combinepdf.com/

Likes symbolipoint
I just read the information on that webpage http://combinepdf.com/ and it seems nice, good to know about.
post #6.

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to Is there a way to save a thread as a PDF?

1. Can I save a thread as a PDF for offline reading?

Yes, there are several ways to save a thread as a PDF, including using a web browser's built-in save as PDF feature or using a third-party PDF converter tool.

2. Will saving a thread as a PDF preserve all the comments and images?

It depends on the method used to save the thread as a PDF. Some tools may not preserve images or formatting, so it's best to test a few different options to find one that works best for your needs.

3. Is there a way to save a thread as a PDF on mobile devices?

Yes, many mobile browsers have the option to save a webpage as a PDF. You can also use a PDF converter app on your mobile device.

4. Can I save a thread as a PDF without creating an account?

Yes, you do not need to create an account in order to save a thread as a PDF. However, some third-party tools may require an account for access to advanced features.

5. How can I save a thread as a PDF without losing any information?

The best way to ensure that all information is preserved when saving a thread as a PDF is to use a PDF converter tool that is specifically designed for webpages. These tools typically have more options for customizing the PDF and preserving all elements of the thread.