Printing threads for offline study?

• Thread starter exmarine
  • Start date
In summary, users have been discussing the possibility of a print function for threads since 2015. Some users have found success with saving pages as PDF, but this only works for one page at a time. Others have tried copying and pasting into a text editor, but this results in a loss of formatting and graphics. Some have suggested using a different browser, but there are still issues with wasted space and unnecessary elements being printed. Overall, a print function for threads would be beneficial for offline study, but it would need some improvements in order to be fully functional.
exmarine
I don't see a suggestion box, so I suppose this should go here?

I often want to "print" a thread for offline study later. Every time I do that, I get a garbled mess. Could you maybe add a "print" button or something that would rectify that problem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been debated for a long time. Back in 2015, @Greg Bernhardt had some plans I believe for a thread print feature:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I may be able to put something together. Anyone else interested in a thread print function?
@exmarine how are you printing the threads? In your browser try "Save page as PDF" for each page of a thread. What result are you getting?

Ok, I just use Windows browser, java script enabled, etc., so the equations show, and hit print pdf. I'll see if I can attach what I got this morning. It is a mess!

Attachments

• ThreadProof.pdf
    642.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Wow
Likes berkeman
Testing...

[tex]v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]i(t) = \frac{1}{L} \int{v(t) dt}[/tex]

berkeman said:
Testing...

[tex]v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]i(t) = \frac{1}{L} \int{v(t) dt}[/tex]
Okay, nevermind. I tried Select-All, Copy, Paste into Word, but that didn't work very well, and the LaTeX wasn't preserved. Plus all of the other stuff in the side-bar was included in the Select-All...

• Highlight/select the posts by dragging the mouse cursor over the area you want to print
  • Press Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard
  • Open a text editor
  • Paste to the text area using Ctrl-V

You get the text, no formatting and no graphics. Here are the above two posts.
=====================
(start paste)

Yesterday at 8:39 AM

Add bookmark

exmarine

Ok, I just use Windows browser, java script enabled, etc., so the equations show, and hit print pdf. I'll see if I can attach what I got this morning. It is a mess!

Attachments

ThreadProof.pdf
642.5 KB Views: 4

Like Quote Reply

Wow

Reactions: berkeman
Yesterday at 9:41 AM

Add bookmark

berkeman
berkeman
Mentor

Testing...

v(t)=Ldi(t)dt
i(t)=1L∫v(t)dt

https://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teamsMorse Code is no longer required for your HAM radio license in the USA! http://www.arrl.org/
Like Quote Reply
Yesterday at 9:43 AM

Add bookmark

berkeman
berkeman
Mentor

berkeman said:
Testing...

v(t)=Ldi(t)dt

i(t)=1L∫v(t)dt

Okay, nevermind. I tried Select-All, Copy, Paste into Word, but that didn't work very well, and the LaTeX wasn't preserved. Plus all of the other stuff in the side-bar was included in the Select-All...

https://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teamsMorse Code is no longer required for your HAM radio license in the USA! http://www.arrl.org/
Like Quote Reply

(end paste)
=================

Yeah, not ideal, just a little less cluttered.

Cheers,
Tom

exmarine said:
Try a different browser. I tried printing this thread from Safari and from Chrome, and the results are not a garbled mess. (See the attached PDF.) It could be better, though. There's a lot of wasted space on the right because the sidebar is printed. The top navigation bar shows up on page 6. Elements like the report, like, quote, and reply buttons don't need to appear. Ads should also be suppressed. This could be probably be fixed pretty simply with some CSS for printing.

Attachments

• print.pdf
    335.7 KB · Views: 209
Likes exmarine

Related to Printing threads for offline study?

1. What is the purpose of printing threads for offline study?

The purpose of printing threads for offline study is to have a physical copy of the discussion threads from an online forum or platform. This allows for easier access and reference to the information without needing an internet connection.

2. How can printing threads benefit scientific research?

Printing threads can benefit scientific research by providing a tangible record of discussions and findings that can be referenced and analyzed. It also allows for easier collaboration and sharing of information among researchers.

3. What are the potential limitations of printing threads for offline study?

Some potential limitations of printing threads for offline study include the possibility of missing out on real-time updates and changes to the discussion, as well as the cost and environmental impact of using paper and ink.

4. Are there any alternative methods for offline study besides printing threads?

Yes, there are alternative methods for offline study such as saving the threads as PDF files or using note-taking software to digitally organize and analyze the information. These methods can also be more environmentally friendly and cost-effective.

5. How can researchers ensure the accuracy and reliability of printed threads for offline study?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, researchers should carefully review and cross-reference the information in the printed threads with the original online source. They should also take note of any potential biases or misinformation that may have been present in the online discussions.