Saving conversations after one year of last reply

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, conversations (private messages) that are more than a year old are automatically deleted. However, there is no current way to save these conversations permanently. One option would be to reply to the conversation annually, but this may not be a feasible solution in the long run. It has been suggested that a feature be implemented where any participant can save the conversation in their account forever, or that the ability to download conversations be brought back.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Conversations (private messages) that are more than an year old are automatically deleted.

Is there any way I can save some conversation, such that it is not deleted from my inbox? One obvious option would be to reply to the conversation annually. But that doesn't seem to be a very viable idea in the long run.

Can a feature be implemented such that anyone of the participants can save the conversation in his/her account forever?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Conversations (private messages) that are more than an year old are automatically deleted.
? I participate in one PM thread that is now 4 years old.

Oh, wait ... I see. You saying that if no one has participated in the thread for over a year it's deleted.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Is there any way I can save some conversation, such that it is not deleted from my inbox?
It's from the last reply, so reply :biggrin:

Likes Bystander and anorlunda
Wrichik Basu said:

Is there any way I can save some conversation, such that it is not deleted from my inbox? One obvious option would be to reply to the conversation annually. But that doesn't seem to be a very viable idea in the long run.

Can a feature be implemented such that anyone of the participants can save the conversation in his/her account forever?
We at one time had the ability to download our conversations, and keep that file of all of them on our computer or another removable storage piece. Maybe this feature could be brought back?

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's from the last reply, so reply :biggrin:
:eek:

symbolipoint said:
We at one time had the ability to download our conversations, and keep that file of all of them on our computer or another removable storage piece. Maybe this feature could be brought back?
That is a good option. It will be helpful if implemented again.

Related to Saving conversations after one year of last reply

1. Why is it important to save conversations after one year of last reply?

Saving conversations after one year of last reply is important because it allows for future reference and retrieval of important information. It also helps to maintain a record of past discussions and decisions made, which can be useful for documentation and accountability purposes.

2. How can conversations be saved after one year of last reply?

Conversations can be saved by archiving them in a digital format, such as through email or a messaging platform. They can also be saved by printing out physical copies or taking screenshots of the conversation.

3. Is it necessary to save all conversations after one year of last reply?

No, it is not necessary to save all conversations after one year of last reply. It is important to use discretion and only save conversations that are relevant or important for future reference.

4. Are there any risks associated with saving conversations after one year of last reply?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with saving conversations after one year of last reply. These include the risk of data breaches or leaks, as well as the risk of outdated information being used or referenced in the future. It is important to consider the sensitivity of the information being saved and take necessary precautions to protect it.

5. How long should conversations be saved after one year of last reply?

The length of time conversations should be saved after one year of last reply can vary depending on the purpose and content of the conversation. Some conversations may only need to be saved for a few years, while others may need to be saved indefinitely. It is important to regularly review and assess the relevance and importance of saved conversations to determine how long they should be kept.