Image formation and ray diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses an extra credit lab involving a lens, a bulb, and a screen. The question is raised about what would happen to the image if the top half of the lens were covered by a mask, or if the mask had a small hole in the center and were placed in front of the lens. The person asking for help does not have the equipment to test and experiment, and is unsure of the outcome. Possible explanations are given, but the person is still seeking clarification.
fellowsk
Ok, a lens is held upright with a piece of clay. In front of it is a bulb, and behind it is a screen at the location of the image of the bulb. Now, what would happen to the image if the top half of the lens were covered by a mask? And what if the mask had a small hole in the center and were placed in front of the lens? This is an extra credit lab, and I have been trying to figure it all out on my own, but this question I really have no idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you test it and see?

I don't have the equipment to test it and experiment.

See, I keep thinking that you would not be able to see the top half of the image. But the light rays from the top half of the object could strike the bottom part of the convex lens and still form the image. The same reasoning goes for covering the lens with a mask with a hole in it. Or would you only see the middle of the lens? Help!

Related to Image formation and ray diagrams

What is image formation?

Image formation is the process by which an object's light rays are reflected or refracted to create a visual representation or image.

What is a ray diagram?

A ray diagram is a visual representation of the path that light rays take when they reflect or refract off of an object or through a lens or mirror. It is used to predict the formation and characteristics of an image.

What are some factors that affect image formation?

The shape and position of an object, the properties of the medium through which light travels, and the shape and position of the lens or mirror all affect image formation.

What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point to form an image, while a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to diverge from a point but do not actually converge.

How do you determine the size and orientation of an image using a ray diagram?

The size and orientation of an image can be determined by measuring the distance and angles between the object, the lens or mirror, and the image on the ray diagram.