Use ray tracing to determine the location of the image

In summary, a converging lens with a focal length of 10 cm has an object 6.0 cm in front of it. Using ray tracing, it is determined that there is no image. The rays do not converge, and there is no image formed. The image is neither upright nor inverted, and it is virtual. Extending the final rays in both directions will show that they converge on the same side of the lens as the object. This can be seen in a ray diagram of the situation.
jlmessick88

Homework Statement

An object is 6.0 cm in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 10 cm. Use ray tracing to determine the location of the image. Is the image upright or inverted? Is it real or virtual?

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my ray tracing...there is no image at all...i'm pretty sure that this is correct, but i just wanted to make sure that what I'm doing is correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Now way to tell without seeing your drawing.

well the focal point is behind the object...
then when drawing the ray parallel to the axis, the special ray will refract through the far focal point...
the ray through the center of the lens, the ray does not bend, just continues through the lens at a straight line...
these two lines never converge...
and then the ray through the near focal point...well you can't do that since the focal point is behing the object itself...
thus no lines ever converge

When using ray diagrams to find the image, be sure to extend the final rays in both directions. In your example the rays will converge on the same side of the lens as the object.

how could they converge on the same side of the lens as the object
if i draw the ray through the near focal point (which is behind the image itself) the ray would be pointed downward...
the two other rays, if drawn in the same direction (behind the image) they don't converge

here is an image of my ray tracing

Attachments

• Q 04.doc
    31 KB · Views: 733
oh wow...i didn't know i could do that...thanks!

Related to Use ray tracing to determine the location of the image

1. What is ray tracing and how does it work?

Ray tracing is a rendering technique used in computer graphics to generate realistic images. It works by simulating the behavior of light as it travels through a scene, calculating how it interacts with objects and surfaces to determine the final pixel colors in the image.

2. How is ray tracing used to determine the location of an image?

Ray tracing can be used to determine the location of an image by tracing the path of light rays from the object to the observer's eye. By calculating the point where these rays intersect with the image plane, the location of the image can be determined.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using ray tracing to determine the location of an image?

The accuracy of using ray tracing to determine the location of an image can be affected by the complexity of the scene, the number of light sources, and the materials and textures used. The accuracy also depends on the precision of the calculations and the resolution of the image.

4. Are there any limitations to using ray tracing to determine the location of an image?

One limitation of ray tracing is that it can be computationally intensive, requiring a significant amount of processing power and time to generate high-quality images. Additionally, ray tracing may not be able to accurately simulate certain lighting effects, such as caustics or global illumination.

5. How does ray tracing compare to other methods of determining the location of an image?

Ray tracing is considered to be one of the most realistic rendering techniques, as it can accurately simulate the behavior of light in a scene. Other methods, such as rasterization, may produce faster results but may not be as physically accurate. Some techniques, such as hybrid rendering, combine ray tracing with other methods to achieve a balance between speed and realism.