Which Rays to Consider for Image Formation via Concave and Convex Lenses?

In summary, with a converging lens, the third ray will pass through the location where the other two rays meet. With a diverging lens, the third ray will never converge where the other two rays did.
PrakashPrasad
I get terribly confused to consider which rays for determining image formation via concave and convex lens? Many times examples take 3 rays into consideration - 1) A ray passing through Focus 2) A ray passing Optical Center (center of curvature) and 3)A ray parallel to principal focus. But the all examples then do not consider 3 rays every time - some times they consider only 2 rays for image formation and I get confused which and how to determine rays to consider for image formation via concave and convex lens - is there an easy way to follow it?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, you really just need two rays. With basic geometric optics that doesn't take into account aberrations, all you need to do is find where two rays emerging from a single point on the object intersect in image space. I usually use a ray parallel to the optical axis and a ray passing through the focal point of the lens/mirror.

You can use whichever rays you know how to draw, and you can use however many it takes to answer your question. Usually you can answer your question with 2.

The reason for three (I suppose 4 if you count the optic axis) is that that is usually the number of rays we know how to draw. For example consider an object outside the focal distance of a single converging lens. From a single field point in the object plane away from the optic axis we know how to draw 3 rays:

1) a ray through the near focal point will emerge parallel to the optic axis on the far side.
2) a ray through the center of the lens won't refract and continues straight.
3) a ray parallel to the optical axis will emerge on the far side of the lens converging to the far focal point.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Lens3.svg

So three because that's how many we can draw without having to calculate. If you can reason with fewer, feel free.

Cutter Ketch said:
So three because that's how many we can draw without having to calculate. If you can reason with fewer, feel free.

Thanks for the details and it helps me to clarify a lot but I have seen image formation concluded where two rays merge after converging - the third ray might not even converge at the same point : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/image2.html#c2

virt1.gif
virt2.gif

Here you can see if we consider the 3rd day : "a ray through the near focal point will emerge parallel to the optic axis on the far side." will never converge where the other 2 rays did - so how do I know which 2 rays to consider first and when should the 3rd ray not be take for image formation - is there a rule for same?

Any two of the three "principal rays" are sufficient to locate the image, provided that you draw them correctly.

It is useful to draw the third ray also, to serve as a check on the other two.

When drawn properly, your third ray does indeed "pass through" the location where the other two rays meet. You need to extend the ray backwards from the lens, along the line that it follows after passing through the lens.

Converging lens:
rays1.gif

(The diagram above happens to have the image at the left focal point, because the object is exactly halfway between that focal point and the lens.)

Diverging lens:
rays2.gif

Last edited:
Likes Redbelly98, PrakashPrasad and Drakkith

Related to Which Rays to Consider for Image Formation via Concave and Convex Lenses?

1. How do rays contribute to image formation?

Rays are essential in forming images because they carry information about the object's shape, size, and position. When light rays from an object pass through a lens, they converge to form an inverted and magnified image on the retina, allowing us to see the object.

2. What is the role of refraction in image formation?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different density. In image formation, refraction occurs at the surface of the lens, causing the light rays to converge or diverge. This process is crucial in focusing the image on the retina and creating a clear and sharp image.

3. How does the distance between the object and the lens affect image formation?

The distance between the object and the lens, also known as the object distance, determines the size and position of the image formed. The closer the object is to the lens, the larger the image will be. Conversely, the further the object is from the lens, the smaller the image will be. This relationship follows the principles of optics and is known as the object-image distance relationship.

4. Can image formation occur without the use of lenses?

Yes, image formation can occur without the use of lenses through a process called pinhole imaging. This method involves creating a small hole in a dark box or room and allowing light to pass through it. The light rays passing through the hole will form an inverted and smaller image on the opposite side of the box, similar to how a camera obscura works.

5. How do different types of lenses affect image formation?

There are two main types of lenses, convex and concave, which have different effects on image formation. Convex lenses converge light rays and produce real and inverted images, while concave lenses diverge light rays and produce virtual and upright images. The shape and thickness of a lens also affect its ability to focus light and, therefore, influence image formation.