Ray Tracing and Lens Formula for Image Location

In summary, the conversation discusses using ray tracing to determine the location of an image formed by a convex lens with a focal length of 10cm, located 15cm in front of an object. The image is found to be upright and virtual. The distance from the lens to the image is calculated using the lens formula and found to be -6cm. The linear magnification of the image is determined to be 0.4. When using the lens formula, it is important to use the proper sign convention for concave and convex lenses.
anotherperson

Homework Statement

An object is locted 15cm infront of a convae lends with a focal length of 10cm. use ray tracing to determine the location of the image. try to draw to scale

i)is the image upright or inverted?
ii)is the image real or virtual?
iii)use your ray-tracing diagram to determine the distance from the lens to the image and label your diagram with this value
iv)now calculate this lens to image distance using the thing lens formula
v) determine the linear magnification of the image relative to the object

Homework Equations

1/p+1/q=1/f
m=-q/p

The Attempt at a Solution

the image will be upright and virtual. and i was able to do the ray tracing diagram

for part iii) I am unsure which equation to use as if i use the lens formula i get the wrong answer,
1/15+1/q=1/10

and hense the wrong answer for part iv)

i'm able to work out v if i have the answer for iv. as m=-q/p which will be m=-answer/15

Physics news on Phys.org
remember that for concave lenses, focal length is negative. try (-1/10cm) instead of (1/10cm).

Use proper sign convention.
What change you have to make in the lens formula when you are using concave and convex lens?

i still get the wrong answer if i do
1/15+1/q=-1/10

What is your answer ?

ohhh no it is right
-6 meaning its 6cm away and then the next part it is also 6cm making my magnification 0.4. is that correct?

my equations show the same result, so i say yes.

thanks!

Related to Ray Tracing and Lens Formula for Image Location

1. What is ray tracing and how does it work?

Ray tracing is a method used to determine the path of light rays as they travel through a medium. It involves drawing diagrams with light rays and using the laws of reflection and refraction to predict the path of light. This technique is commonly used in optics to calculate the image location and characteristics of lenses and mirrors.

2. What is the lens formula and how is it used in ray tracing?

The lens formula is a mathematical equation that relates the distance of an object from a lens, the distance of the image from the lens, and the focal length of the lens. It is used in ray tracing to calculate the position and size of images formed by lenses.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when actual light rays converge at a point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. This image can be projected onto a screen. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to come from a point but do not actually converge. This image cannot be projected onto a screen.

4. How does the position of an object affect the position of its image in ray tracing?

The position of an object relative to a lens affects the position of its image. If the object is farther away from the lens, the image will be closer to the lens. Similarly, if the object is closer to the lens, the image will be farther away.

5. Can the lens formula be applied to all types of lenses?

Yes, the lens formula can be applied to all types of lenses, including convex, concave, and combination lenses. However, for complex systems with multiple lenses, the formula may need to be modified to account for the interactions between the lenses.