5 Questions dealing with Optics, image included

In summary, the first conversation discusses the formation of an inverted image of an object by a lens with a separation distance of 40.0 cm. The type of lens needed is convex and its focal length can be calculated using the equation 1/f=1/q+1/p. In the second conversation, the angle between the red and violet light after exiting a prism with an apex angle of Ho and the index of refraction for each light is given. The angle of spread can be determined using the equation θ₁=θ₂ and θ₁=15°. In the third conversation, the wavelength of light used in a double-slit experiment is found using the equation Δy=(Δm+½)λL/d
Pharrett
1. A real inverted image I of an object O is formed by a certain lens (not shown); the object—image separation
is d = 40.0 cm, measured along the central axis of the lens. The image is just half the size of the object,
a. What kind of lens must be used to produce this image?
b. How far from the object must the lens be placed?
c. What is the focal length of the lens?

Relevant equations:

1/f=1/q+1/p

Attempt at solution:
Found p=40-q
1/q + 1/40-q = 1/f
Used the Sign of f to decide the lens was convex
Used final q to determine the final p and used Pf as distance between object and lens
2. White light, traveling parallel to the base of a prism with an apex angle of Ho, and enters the prism near the top Apex angle. After the light exits the prism on opposite face, what is the angle (angular spread) between the red light and light if the index of refraction is 1.51 for red light and 1.53 for violet light.

Relevant Equations:

θ₁=θ₂
Sinθ₁=Sinθ₂
Spread = θexit - θenter

Attempt at solution:
Found θ₁ to be 15°(using symmetry of the prism 90-75°), used that to find θ₂ to be 9.xxx°
Then used the parallel light and normal rays and 75°(see image) to find an angle of 15° and 105° for the triangle and then found a third angle of 60° which I used to get the θ₃=30°.
Next I used 1.51 for red to find θf=49.xxxxx°

I did the same thing using 1.53 for purple and found θf=49.xxxxx°
Then, I subtracted the PURPLE from the RED and got 0.88xxxxx° has my angular spread.

If the distance between the first and tenth minima of a double-slit pattern is 18.0mm and the slits are separated by 0.150 mm with the screen 50.0 cm from the slits,
a. what is the wavelength of the light used? (assume experiment is in air)
b. What would be the spacing between the first and tenth minima if this same experiment (with same light source) was done underwater (n = 1.33)?

Relevant Equations:

Δy=(Δm+½)λL/dn

Attempt at Solution:
Using the above equation and Δm=9 and n=1, i found λ
then i used λ and n=1.33 to find Δy for part b).

Light of wavelength 440 nm passes through a double slit, yielding a diffraction pattern whose graph of intensity versus angular position 0 is shown in the figure.[B/][B\]
Calculate
a. the slit width.
b. the slit separation.

Relevant Equations:

I/Io=[Sin(β/2)/(β/2)]² x Cos²(φ/2)
dSinθ=mλ;bright double slit
m=4(see image for graph)
aSinθ=mλ; dark single slit
d/a=m

Attempt at Solution:

I found m to be 4 by using the graph and counting the intensities starting with m=0 at the center.
I also used the graph to see that there appears to be a missing maximum and Sinθ=5
I used aSinθ=mλ with m =4 to find a=20.xxxnm
then I used d/a=m with m=4 to find d=80.xxxxnm

An object is 20 cut from a convex lens. A concave lens is 15 cm from the convex lens. For both lenses the magnitude of their focal lengths is 7.5cm.
a. Row far is the object from the final image?
b. With the spacing describe above, if the concave lens is moving with an instantaneous speed of 2m/s toward the convex lens, what is the speed and direction of the final image? Relevant Equations:
1/f=1/p+1/q
M=-q/p=h'/h
d/dt(1/f=1/p+1/q)→0=-1/p² (dP/dt) + -1/q² (dQ/dt)
dP/dt=200cm/s

Attempt at Solution:

I found the first image using convex lens sign conventions
then I found the final image using Concave lens sign conventions
my final answer was -2.32xxxxx cm for of the final image,
my answer to a was 32.32 cm;
Then for b) using only my final equation for the secon image, I took the derivative and got the above equation, Solved for (dQ/dt) and found it to be -102.xxxx cm/s traveling toward the convex lens.

Attachments

• Physics 123 Exam 3 Optics 2016.pdf
    278.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Physics 123 Exam 3 Optics.jpg
    Physics 123 Exam 3 Optics.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 766
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know if I did these correctly; it would be awesome if someone could work these problems out and post and image of there solutions.

Thank you so much for your feedback and time!

1. What is optics?

Optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the formation of images.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in straight lines at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. When light passes through a medium, such as air or water, its speed and direction may change.

3. What is an image formed by optics?

An image formed by optics is a representation of an object created by the interaction of light rays with lenses or mirrors. It can be either real or virtual, depending on the location of the image relative to the object.

4. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays when they encounter a smooth surface, such as a mirror. Refraction, on the other hand, is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with varying densities, such as air and water.

5. How does the human eye work in relation to optics?

The human eye works by using lenses to focus incoming light onto the retina, which then converts the light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain for processing. The cornea and lens of the eye act as the primary refractive elements, while the retina serves as the image sensor. The brain then interprets the signals to create the images that we see.