How Do You Solve Differential Equations Using Reduction of Order?

In summary, the student is struggling to find a solution for a homework problem. They talk about what they think is going on and explain that they needed to know the coefficient of the y' term in order to solve for V(x). They explain that they were able to find the V(x) once they realized that the constant was supposed to be 0.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve the following using the method of reduction of order.

[itex]4x^2y''+y=0[/itex]
[itex]y_1=\sqrt{x}lnx[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]y_2=v(x)y_1[/itex]

v(x) = ∫ (e^(-∫P(x)dx / y_1) Sorry if that's tough to read, couldn't figure out the latex for it, but it's supposed to be a forumla for V(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

K so, Y_2 = V(x)y_1.

In this case P(x) is 0, correct? Because there is no y' term.

That's what is throwing me off. Our teacher often just sort of ignores constants when he's teaching, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

I end up with

[itex]V(x) = \int e^k x^{-1/2} lnx dx[/itex]

I don't know what to do with that. I'm not sure if he just wants us to say that V(x)y_1 is the solution, or if he wants us to simplify it out.

Any thoughts? Either way I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to go about integrating that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the ##k## in your answer is and without you showing more steps it's hard to help you. Your ##V(x)## isn't correct. Don't forget you need the leading coefficient to be ##1## when you calculate the integrating factor. Show us your work.

For what it's worth, the second solution comes out nice and simple.

Since you didn't tell us what "P(x)" is supposed to mean, we cannot tell you what function it is. As for "[itex]V(x)= \int e^k x^{1/2}ln(x)dx[/itex]", where did that "k" come from? There is no "k" in anything you wrote before.

P(x) is the coefficient of the y' term. So P(x) is zero... the integral of 0 is K, that's where the K came from.

When you say V(x) is incorrect, do you mean the formula or the V(x) I ended up with? The latter wouldn't surprise me, that's why I'm here for help, but the former I copied from the board.

If I go through the steps to solve for V(x) the problem gets very messy because there are so many derivatives of x^(1/2)ln x. That's why I assumed he wanted us to use the formula.

As for more steps, well... according to my teacher I should just plug P(x) and y1 into the formula for V(x) and multiply by y1 to get y2.

Anyway, I am about to head to class and I will ask him. I will post my findings here.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Just to give you a point of reference, if you go through the steps to find ##v(x)##, you should wind up with this DE after simplifying$$
v''x\ln x+v'\ln x+2v'=0$$And don't forget you need the leading coefficient to be 1 when you calculate the integrating factor so you can solve for ##v'##.

I got some help today on campus. The problem was with my formula for V(x). I have it written in my notes wrong. The actual formula should have a denominator of y^2, not just y.

Also about the constant, the teacher told me just to assume it is 0. I will probably never take another 5-week math course, it is making my head spin.

Everything fell into place once I realized that, but thank you both for your help!

Related to How Do You Solve Differential Equations Using Reduction of Order?

1. What is the method of reduction of order?

The method of reduction of order is a mathematical technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations. It involves reducing a given equation to a first-order differential equation, which is easier to solve.

2. When is the method of reduction of order used?

This method is typically used when the coefficients of a second-order linear differential equation are not constant. It is also useful when one solution of the equation is known, but the second solution needs to be found.

3. How does the method of reduction of order work?

The method involves substituting a new variable for the dependent variable in the original equation, which reduces it to a first-order differential equation. The new variable is then solved using standard techniques, and the original solution is found by back-substituting the value.

4. What are the advantages of the method of reduction of order?

One of the main advantages of this method is that it can be used to solve nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. It also allows for the use of known solutions to find new solutions, making it a powerful tool for solving a variety of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of reduction of order?

This method can only be used for second-order linear differential equations. It also requires that at least one solution of the original equation is known, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the process of back-substitution can be time-consuming and tedious.