Solve the given first order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of separation of variables to solve a first order differential equation, but the initial condition provided leads to an incorrect solution. The correct solution is found by substituting the initial condition into the general solution obtained from separation of variables. However, it is noted that the question does not specify which method should be used to solve the equation and therefore the work would not be marked as wrong.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is a text question-
Relevant Equations
separation of variables
first order differential equation- integrating factor...
1672610474749.png

My thinking is two-fold, firstly, i noted that we can use separation of variables; i.e

##\dfrac{dy}{y}= \sec^2 x dx##

on integrating both sides we have;

##\ln y = \tan x + k##

##y=e^{\tan x+k} ##

now i got stuck here as we cannot apply the initial condition ##y(\dfrac {π}{4})=-1##

Secondly on using;

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}+ P(x)y=q(x)##

i have

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}-\sec^2 x=0##

i.f= ##e^{-\int sec^2x dx} =e^{-\tan x}##

therefore,

##(e^{-\tanx }⋅y)' =0## on integration, we shall have;

##(e^{-\tan x} ⋅y) =k## now using the initial condition, ##y(\dfrac {π}{4})=-1##

we have, ##k=-\dfrac{1}{e}##

thus,
##y=e^{\tan x} ⋅k=\left[ e^{\tan x} ⋅-\dfrac{1}{e}\right]=-e^{\tan x-1}##

i do not have solution to the problem...your insight is welcome...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what your problem is. You found that $$y=-e^{\tan(x) -1}$$

Isn't this answer (B)?

Likes chwala
chwala said:
##\ln y = \tan x + k##

##y=e^{\tan x+k} ##

now i got stuck here as we cannot apply the initial condition ##y(\dfrac {π}{4})=-1##
Your second equation above is equivalent to ##y = e^{\tan(x)}\cdot e^k## or ##y = Ce^{\tan(x)}##, where ##C= e^k##. Simply substitute ##\pi/4## for x and -1 for y to solve for C.

Likes WWGD and chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: This is a text question-
Relevant Equations:: separation of variables
first order differential equation- integrating factor...

View attachment 319644

My thinking is two-fold, firstly i noted that we can use separation of variables; i.e

##\dfrac{dy}{y}= \sec^2 x dx##

##\ln y = \tan x + k##

##y=e^{\tan x+k} ##

Keep in mind:

##\displaystyle \int \dfrac{dy}{y} = \ln |y| + C ##

Likes malawi_glenn and chwala
phyzguy said:
I don't see what your problem is. You found that $$y=-e^{\tan(x) -1}$$

Isn't this answer (B)?
Correct...

My question is 'would a student be wrong in attempting to use separation of variables?' ...does he/she get method marks? cheers...

Mark44 said:
Your second equation above is equivalent to ##y = e^{\tan(x)}\cdot e^k## or ##y = Ce^{\tan(x)}##, where ##C= e^k##. Simply substitute ##\pi/4## for x and -1 for y to solve for C.
Won't we have ##e^k=-1##?

chwala said:
Won't we have ##e^k=-1##?
No. Solve for C in this equation: ##-1 = Ce^1##

Likes chwala
chwala said:
My question is 'would a student be wrong in attempting to use separation of variables?' ...does he/she get method marks?
I don't see why the work would be marked as wrong. The question asks only which of the four listed equation is the solution and makes no requirement of which method to use.

Thanks @Mark44 ...my interest was on checking if we could use separation of variables. You have clearly shown that to me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its first derivative. It is written in the form dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the unknown function and f(x,y) is a function of both x and y.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The method you choose will depend on the specific form of the equation.

3. What is the general solution of a first order differential equation?

The general solution of a first order differential equation is the set of all possible solutions to the equation. It usually contains one or more arbitrary constants that can be determined by applying initial conditions.

4. What are initial conditions in a first order differential equation?

Initial conditions are values given for the unknown function and its derivative at a specific point. These values are used to find the particular solution to a differential equation.

5. Can a first order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution contains arbitrary constants that can take on different values, resulting in different particular solutions.