berlinvic
Homework Statement
$$\begin{cases}
y'_1 = y_2, \\
y'_2 = -y_1 + \frac{1}{\cos x}
\end{cases}$$
Relevant Equations
Elimination method for differential equations, associated homogeneous equation
I am trying to solve this system of differential equations using elimination method, but I am stuck.

$$\begin{cases}
y'_1 = y_2, \\
y'_2 = -y_1 + \frac{1}{\cos x}
\end{cases}$$

Here's what I tried:

I've been suggested to differentiate the ##y_1'= y_2## again to get ##y_1''= y_2'= -y_1+ \frac{1}{\cos(x)}##. The "associated homogeneous equation". However, I don't really see a way how to go forward. Anyways, how do you solve this sytem?

Physics news on Phys.org
That’s just a second order linear homogeneous differential equation. It can be solved by any appropriate method.

berlinvic said:
I've been suggested to differentiate the ##y_1'= y_2## again to get ##y_1''= y_2'= -y_1+ \frac{1}{\cos(x)}##. The "associated homogeneous equation".
Orodruin said:
That’s just a second order linear homogeneous differential equation.
Wouldn't the linear homogeneous diff. equation be ##y_1'' + y_1 = 0##? The ##\frac 1 {\cos(x)}## term makes it nonhomogeneous.

Mark44 said:
Wouldn't the linear homogeneous diff. equation be ##y_1'' + y_1 = 0##? The ##\frac 1 {\cos(x)}## term makes it nonhomogeneous.
Yes sorry, I meant to say inhomogeneous …

Likes Mark44
Orodruin said:
Yes sorry, I meant to say inhomogeneous …
But I don't see how I can solve ##y_1^{\prime\prime}=y_2^{\prime}=-y_1+\frac1{\cos(x)}## using elimination method. Any help? I get the same answer as using https://mathdf.com/dif/, which, according to my professor, is incorrect.

You already eliminated ##y_2## ….

Yes, but I still can't see how to move forward, I am just stuck at this line.

@berlinvic, did you get a solution for the homogeneous problem ##y_1'' + y_1 = 0##? That's an easy one. For the nonhomogeneous problem ##y_1'' + y_1 = \sec(x)##, you might have to use variation of parameters.

Yes, I should have mentioned, I already know I should use variation of parameters. However I am not entirely sure which ones and how to apply them. I am fairly confused about it, do you have any tips?

Here is everything I've got so far:

I reduced the system to the second order ODE
$$
y_1''+y_1=\frac{1}{\cos x}. \tag{1}
$$

Next steps:
1. Find two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous equation ##y_1''+y_1=0## --- for instance, ##u(x)=\cos x## and ##v(x)=\sin x##;
2. Compute the Wronskian of those solutions:
$$
W[u,v]=uv'-u'v; \tag{2}
$$
3. Find a particular solution to the equation $(1)$ using the [formula](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters#General_second-order_equation)
$$
y_{1p}(x)=A(x)u(x)+B(x)v(x), \tag{3}
$$
where
$$
A(x)=-\int\frac{v(x)}{W(x)\cos x}\,dx,\qquad
B(x)=\int\frac{u(x)}{W(x)\cos x}\,dx; \tag{4}
$$
4. The general solution to ##(1)## is given by
$$
y_1(x)=c_1u(x)+c_2v(x)+y_{1p}(x); \tag{5}
$$
5. To find ##y_2(x)##, use the first equation of the system:
$$
y_2(x)=y_1'(x)=c_1u'(x)+c_2v'(x)+y_{1p}'(x). \tag{6}$$

berlinvic said:
Here is everything I've got so far:

I reduced the system to the second order ODE
$$
y_1''+y_1=\frac{1}{\cos x}. \tag{1}
$$

Next steps:
1. Find two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous equation ##y_1''+y_1=0## --- for instance, ##u(x)=\cos x## and ##v(x)=\sin x##;
2. Compute the Wronskian of those solutions:
$$
W[u,v]=uv'-u'v; \tag{2}
$$
What did you get for the Wronksian? It's pretty simple in this problem.
berlinvic said:
3. Find a particular solution to the equation $(1)$ using the [formula](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters#General_second-order_equation)
$$
y_{1p}(x)=A(x)u(x)+B(x)v(x), \tag{3}
$$
where
$$
A(x)=-\int\frac{v(x)}{W(x)\cos x}\,dx,\qquad
B(x)=\int\frac{u(x)}{W(x)\cos x}\,dx; \tag{4}
$$
I think you're confusing yourself with the above notation. The same wiki page you quoted gives these formulas for A(x) and B(x):
##A(x) = -\int \frac 1 W u_1(x)f(x)dx##
##B(x) = \int \frac 1 W u_2(x)f(x)dx##
Here W is the Wronskian and ##u_1(x)## and ##u_2(x)## are the solutions to the homogeneous DE you found earlier.
berlinvic said:
4. The general solution to ##(1)## is given by
$$
y_1(x)=c_1u(x)+c_2v(x)+y_{1p}(x); \tag{5}
$$
5. To find ##y_2(x)##, use the first equation of the system:
$$
y_2(x)=y_1'(x)=c_1u'(x)+c_2v'(x)+y_{1p}'(x). \tag{6}$$

1. How does the elimination method work for solving systems of differential equations?

The elimination method involves manipulating the equations in the system to eliminate one of the variables, allowing you to solve for the remaining variable. This is done by adding or subtracting the equations in the system in a way that cancels out one of the variables.

2. When is the elimination method preferred over other methods for solving systems of differential equations?

The elimination method is preferred when the equations in the system are easily manipulable to eliminate one of the variables. This method is especially useful when the coefficients of the variables are easily combinable to cancel out one of the variables.

3. What are the limitations of using the elimination method for solving systems of differential equations?

One limitation of the elimination method is that it can become cumbersome and time-consuming for systems with a large number of equations. Additionally, this method may not be effective if the equations in the system are not easily manipulable to eliminate a variable.

4. Can the elimination method be used for nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Yes, the elimination method can be used for nonlinear systems of differential equations. However, the process of eliminating variables may become more complex in nonlinear systems compared to linear systems.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for effectively applying the elimination method to solve systems of differential equations?

One tip for effectively applying the elimination method is to carefully choose which variable to eliminate first, as this can simplify the process. Additionally, it can be helpful to rearrange the equations in the system to make the elimination process more straightforward.