Solving Differential Equation Using Reduction of Order

• I
  • Thread starter giodude
  • Start date
giodude
Hello,
I'm working on the following differential equation:In problem 23 through 30 use the method of reduction of order to find a second solution of the given differential equation.
27. xy'' - y' + 4*x^3*y = 0, x > 0; y_1(x) = sin(x^2)
I begin my solution by writing out the known equations of y, y', y'' in terms of v and y_1. I also differentiate y_1 to find y_1', y_1'':
Let v denote v(x):
y = v*y_1
y' = v'*y_1 + v*y_1'
y'' = v''*y_1 + 2v'y_1' + v*y_1''

y_1 = sin(x^2) (given)
y_1' = 2*x*cos(x^2)
y_1'' = 2*cos(x^2) - 4*x^2*sin(x^2)

Next, I plug y, y', and y'' into the original differential:
x*(v''*y_1 + 2*v'*y_1' + v*y_1'') - v'*y_1 - v*y_1' + 4*x^3*v*y_1 = 0
x*v''*y_1 + (2*x*y_1' - y_1)*v' + (xy'' - y' + 4*x^3*y)v = 0 (the coefficient of v is our original differential so we may set that to 0)
x*v''*y_1 + (2*x*y_1' - y_1)*v' = 0
v'' + (2*x*y_1' - y_1) / (x*y_1)*v' = 0

Now we need to solve this first order differential equation (I use integration factors to solve):
d[mu]/dx = (2*x^2*cos(x^2)/xsin(x^2) - sin(x^2)/(x*sin(x^2))) * mu
d[mu]/dx = (2*x*cot(x^2) - 1/x)*mu
(1/mu)*d[mu]/dx = 2*x*cot(x^2) - 1/x

Differentiating both sides:
ln(mu) = -ln(sin(x^2)) - ln(x)

Exponentiating both sides:
mu = 1/(x*sin(x^2))

Plugging the integrating factor back in we get:
d[(1/(x*sin(x^2))) * v']/dx = 0
1/(x*sin(x^2)) * v' = C_1
v' = C_1*x*sin(x^2)

Integrating v':
v = -C_1*(1/2)*cos(x^2) + C_2

We can collapse -C_1*(1/2) into a C_1 to represent that entire constant term. Solving for y by computing v*y_1:
y = C_1*cos(x^2)*sin(x^2) + C_2*sin(x^2)

The answer in the textbook I'm using says that y_2 = cos(x^2), however this indicates a solution of y_2 = cos(x^2)*sin(x^2). Is this an interpretation problem such that this answer does in fact suggest y_2 = cos(x^2) or did I go wrong somewhere within my process of solving?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't agree with your result for [itex]v[/itex].

Your equation for [itex]v'[/itex] can be reduced to [tex]
\begin{split}
0 &= xy_1v'' + (2xy_1' - y_1)v' \\
&= \frac{x^2}{y_1} \left( \frac{y_1^2}x v'' + \left( \frac{2y_1y_1'}{x} - \frac{y_1^2}{x^2}\right)v'\right) \\
&= \frac{x^2}{y_1} \frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{y_1^2 v'}{x}\right) \end{split}[/tex] from which it follows that [tex]v' = \frac{Cx}{y_1^2} = \frac{Cx}{\sin^2(x^2)}.[/tex] Comparing this to your working suggests that something has gone wrong in your application of the integrating factor method, so I would suggest you try that again.

My equation for [itex]v'[/itex] can be integrated by substitution, leading to the book's answer.

Last edited:
Likes giodude
giodude said:
Differentiating both sides:
ln(mu) = -ln(sin(x^2)) - ln(x)
Oh, found my two mistakes:
(1) I dropped the two when integrating 2*x*cot(x^2).
(2) I added a negative (mixed up with tan(x^2)) when integrating cot(x^2).

Fixing these two leads to the proper answer. Thank you!

1. What is reduction of order in differential equations?

Reduction of order is a method used to solve higher-order differential equations by reducing them to a system of first-order equations. This makes it easier to find a solution and is particularly useful for equations with non-constant coefficients.

2. How does reduction of order work?

The first step in reduction of order is to find a known solution, called the "reducing factor". This solution is then substituted into the original equation, reducing its order by one. The resulting first-order equation can then be solved using standard methods.

3. When is reduction of order applicable?

Reduction of order is applicable to any higher-order differential equation with non-constant coefficients. However, it is most commonly used for second-order equations.

4. What are the advantages of using reduction of order?

Reduction of order simplifies the process of solving higher-order differential equations, making it easier to find a solution. It also allows for the use of standard methods for solving first-order equations, which are often more straightforward and familiar to students.

5. Are there any limitations to using reduction of order?

Reduction of order may not be applicable to all higher-order differential equations, particularly those with complex or non-polynomial solutions. It also may not always result in a solution, as it relies on finding a known solution to substitute into the original equation.