How did you choose your username?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary: Anyways, it's a really nice username and I'm glad you like it. :)Ah! That doesn't sound so harmless!... Anyways, it's a really nice username and I'm glad you like it. :)
I'm a musician and a scientist with a tendency towards magical thinking. Pythagoras did a lot with musical harmonic series .

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
I'm a musician and a scientist with a tendency towards magical thinking. Pythagoras did a lot with musical harmonic series .

Cool! I always thought that it was just a math thing.
(But I'm still going to call you "Python". :biggrin:)

drizzle said:
I've been asked this Q before. So why not sharing:)
The REAL reason behind my name was an advice I decided to follow;

"be like a drizzle, never harming but useful, where ever it lands"

At first I thought you were from my neighborhood.

(Like the Eskimo's and snow, we have 100 names for rain around here.)

What a wonderful adviser you had. :smile:

Anyways, I think I've already answered this question once, but I'll do it again, just because I'm senile.

My usual name of "Crackpot" was already taken at the forum. I've been hanging around in science forums for about as long as the webs been around, and I discovered that everyone was always bad mouthing crackpots. People, since my youth, have given me nicknames that they thought would get under my skin, as a sort of insult. I always accept the names, and ran with them, as a kind of "Screw you! You can make fun of me all you want. I'm still a Rose even if you call me a turd" finger salute.

Anyways. That was the reason for my old nick.

My new nick is derived from Sergeant Schultz's perpetual
Iknownothing.jpg
comment.

I don't remember what sparked my interest in the hobby, but I decided a few years back to learn how to say that in every language on the planet.

So far, I can say it in 30 +/- 10 different languages.

Om Cheeto means; I know nothing. (Although I've decided the phrase is literally ridiculous(being an ellipsis), and cannot be properly translated into most languages. Usually it's most common translation is; "I don't know")

And a link provided by Astronuc to me about a month ago says I've been mispronouncing it for quite some time. Therefore, I want everyone to start referring to me as Ngóh m̀ Jìdou.

As I told you before, Om, your name always means mom to me, especially with your second word 'Cheeto' having almost the same pronunciation of my real name, yea Ma that's true. :biggrin:

OmCheeto said:
I want everyone to start referring to me as Ngóh m̀ Jìdou.

Thank you. That is so much easier.

So... is that a martial art, or something involving noodles?

Danger said:
Cool! I always thought that it was just a math thing.
(But I'm still going to call you "Python". :biggrin:)

I don't know if I could live up to the honor. Python is one of the best programming languages in the world that takes it's namesake directly form Monty Python. My achievements pale in comparison to either of these cultural landmarks.

Pythagorean said:
I don't know if I could live up to the honor. Python is one of the best programming languages in the world that takes it's namesake directly form Monty Python. My achievements pale in comparison to either of these cultural landmarks.

:blushing:
I didn't know that. The only two pythons within my field of knowledge are the snake and the Colt .357. I admire both, though, so it's still good on you.
I am, of course, familiar with Monty, but never think of them just by their last name.

drizzle said:
As I told you before, Om, your name always means mom to me, especially with your second word 'Cheeto' having almost the same pronunciation of my real name, yea Ma that's true. :biggrin:

:shy:

I do not remember that.

I only remember dreams of being in the dessert now.

OmCheeto said:
My new nick is derived from Sergeant Schultz's perpetual
Iknownothing.jpg
comment.

I don't remember what sparked my interest in the hobby, but I decided a few years back to learn how to say that in every language on the planet.

So far, I can say it in 30 +/- 10 different languages.

Om Cheeto means; I know nothing. (Although I've decided the phrase is literally ridiculous(being an ellipsis), and cannot be properly translated into most languages. Usually it's most common translation is; "I don't know")

And a link provided by Astronuc to me about a month ago says I've been mispronouncing it for quite some time. Therefore, I want everyone to start referring to me as Ngóh m̀ Jìdou.
I thought your username was some sort of hommage or reverential reference to the delicious Cheeto. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still curious as to what language 'Om Cheeto' is the phonetic pronunciation (if that's what it is) for "I know nothing" or "I don't know".

ThomasT said:
I'm still curious as to what language 'Om Cheeto' is the phonetic pronunciation (if that's what it is) for "I know nothing" or "I don't know".

I'm pretty sure that if you say that at random, the nearest person will respond with his/her language's equivalent of ":confused:", so I guess that the answer to your question is "all but one". :biggrin:

ThomasT said:
I thought your username was some sort of hommage or reverential reference to the delicious Cheeto. Thanks for clarifying.

I learned it phonetically from someone who I used to work with. I ran into him one day at a Plaid Pantry. I asked what he was doing with himself, and he said he was teaching Chinese at the local university. So when he said; "Ngóh m̀ Jìdou", I heard "Om Cheeto". It is Cantonese.

He also taught me to say it in Mandarin; "Wo bu tso dao".
Which I found that if you say it very slowly to someone who's native language is Mandarin, they will not understand what you are saying. You have to say it as one word, very fast.

Then they will laugh. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
There are a lot of interesting and unusual usernames on the board, and I have been wondering how different people have come up with theirs.

Pranav is my real name and hence my username.

How did you come up with yours?
You know the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?". It's sort of like that but, I expect it will take a few more years.

@Om. I've always seen your username as an Om(age) to Cheetos also. I have this picture in my head of you going into a zen-like state after eating Cheetos. OMMMM... :-p

Last edited:
Yes, I doggered a girl (who hasn't?) and my name is Dan. Beyond that, I've dived the Dogger Banks, and love the old boats, very few of which are still sailed.

I think they're beautiful vessels! Perfectly suited for their task, and according to the records, they did so very well.

@Om - Btw, if you don't know, OM is a hindi word too. :biggrin: OM is written like this in hindi :-
om.jpg

At first i thought you might have heard this word somewhere and combined with the name Cheeto. I think Cheeto is a name of snack. ;)

Pranav-Arora said:
@Om - Btw, if you don't know, OM is a hindi word too. :biggrin: OM is written like this in hindi :-
om.jpg

At first i thought you might have heard this word somewhere and combined with the name Cheeto. I think Cheeto is a name of snack. ;)

Yes. A few people have mentioned the mantra: Om Ma Ni Padme Hum...

I actually picked up a prayer flag of the mantra from our local market about a month ago.
OmMaNiPadmeHum.jpg
Though I'm pretty sure the symbols are Tibetan, and not Hindi.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=468190&postcount=10" about me, before I was incarnated as the Om! :-p

ps. Muhji kooch bee malum nahee. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I play the violin
hence,

Borg said:
@Om. I've always seen your username as an Om(age) to Cheetos also.
Shouldn't that be a from(age)... :rolleyes:

OmCheeto said:
ps. Muhji kooch bee malum nahee. :smile:

Lol. :smile:

Danger said:
Shouldn't that be a from(age)... :rolleyes:

:smile:

Do you know what you just said in German!?

That was my mother's favorite phonetic transliteration.

"from the butt!" Ask Char.

Mine is a play on words (or symbols), not a statement of pessimism...

It definitely got some attention when I first joined, although I had it cleared prior to getting it.

OmCheeto said:
"from the butt!" Ask Char.

:eek:

I was thinking in French. :redface:

Danger said:
:eek:

I was thinking in French. :redface:

Lol, me too!

I think my username is pretty self-explanatory.

I just thought of the coolest possible name!

SmashDreadnaught
BlastHardpecs
CrashBandicoot
LimpTugboat

or

FlexGunship

I LOOO:!)O:!)O:!)O:!)OOVE CrashBandicoot! Thank God you didn't pick that name... :biggrin:

Hmm... I forget why I chose this username. It'll come back to me some day.

GregJ said:
Hmm... I forget why I chose this username. It'll come back to me some day.

What's the first letter of your last name, Greg?

My parents picked it out for me.

Greg J is my real name FlexGunship. I was just being silly. Although on occasion I wish I chose a funkier username. But alas it's carved in stone now it seems

GregJ said:
Greg J is my real name FlexGunship. I was just being silly. Although on occasion I wish I chose a funkier username. But alas it's carved in stone now it seems

Did you just diffuse my hilarious post by making me seem like an idiot?

Jimmy Snyder said:
My parents picked it out for me.

Same here. Lol. :smile:

I was hoping to attract nuclear physicists... :p

Mine's pretty lame, so prepare to be petrified with lameness!

So I was using my other username somewhere, and it was too long, i.e. it hit the character limit. So I just called myself Char. Limit.

nucleargirl said:
I was hoping to attract nuclear physicists... :p

And did you?

Perhaps that astronuc guy? Turns out he even knows Russian! :wink:

My internet handles are all song names from albums I like :)