The Future of Email Account Usernames

In summary: I don't think you can use your full name because it would be too long.In summary, trying to create a new Gmail account was a pain because every combination of letters and words was taken.
russ_watters said:
Why? I have two personal emails; normal and spam. I don't think I've had a total of more than 5.

So, again: password management. You're not supposed to remember them all.

Also: recovery contact info.
I don't like writing passwords down. Always scared someone will find them. ...It's an irrational fear.

So accounts are just ones I temporarily forgot password too and then randomly remembered...but, admittedly, I do have too many for no good reason.

Computer science news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Most online accounts have recovery capability, so that's another thing about kyphysics's problem I don't understand. I have actually forgotten passwords (or didn't have access to them so I reset the password anyway), but it's never caused me to lose an account. It's really the second part that has me confused.
I don't have phone recovery, but usually have email recover.

Problem is...I sometimes would forget several email passwords, includingn the recovery one...

kyphysics said:
I don't have phone recovery, but usually have email recover.

Problem is...I sometimes would forget several email passwords, includingn the recovery one...
You clearly need a better system in place. Have a try at Googling some solutions.

Likes russ_watters
StevieTNZ said:
You clearly need a better system in place. Have a try at Googling some solutions.
I've never forgotten my absolute CORE email, b/c I use it every single day. ...I just forgot the less used ones.

anorlunda said:
hey are kept on the LastPass service's computers. LastPass synchronizes all of my devices.
Actually, LastPass doesn't know your passwords.

There is a function which takes your Master Password as input and the stored password as another input, and from that, calculates the site-specific password.

Trivial example: your site-specific password is the number 4, and your master password is 7. LastPass will store 4+7=11, and when you log in their servers and your browser together subtract 7 from 11 to get 4. If you break into LastPass' server, you only get 11.

The evil dark side of this is losing your master password is very very bad.

• Informative
Likes Rive, berkeman and russ_watters