In summary: LISTEN 0 4096 127.0.0.53%lo:53 0.0.0.0:*
jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
I want to connect extra IPs to the internet on my server
I got a new server that I want to set up. It comes with 2 IPv4 and 1 IPv6. I'm new to these network settings and I have a hard time following what I need to do.

My ISP gives me this info about my IPs (not the real ones):

Code:
IP Address (main)     111.222.11.33
Netmask/Bitmask       255.255.255.0
Gateway               111.222.11.1
Resolver #1           115.225.111.88
Resolver #2           115.225.111.99

IP Address (extra)    111.222.22.44
Netmask/Bitmask       255.255.255.0
Gateway               111.222.22.1
Resolver #1           115.225.111.88
Resolver #2           115.225.111.88

IP Address (internal) 101.202.55.66
Netmask/Bitmask       255.255.0.0
Gateway               101.202.0.1
Resolver #1           N/A
Resolver #2           N/A

Link-local IPv6 Subnet
1234:5678:11:2222::/64

From the ISP dashboard I also created the following IPv6:

Code:
IP Address (created)  1234:5678:11:2222::1
Netmask/Bitmask       48
Gateway               1234:5678:11::1
Resolver #1           N/A
Resolver #2           N/A

I did a first install and I couldn't make either the extra IPv4 or the IPv6 I created reachable from an outside computer. All I ended up achieving was connections on localhost only. Anyway, I ended up screwing everything and now I did a new install. This time I chose to add an extra interface (ens4) during the OS install, setting it up with my extra IPv4, hoping it would at least work with this address. Nope. Works locally but not from an outside computer.

Here is the info from my network:
Code:
username@hostname:~$ ss -lntu
Netid              State               Recv-Q              Send-Q                           Local Address:Port                            Peer Address:Port              Process             
udp                UNCONN              0                   0                                127.0.0.53%lo:53                                   0.0.0.0:*                                     
tcp                LISTEN              0                   4096                             127.0.0.53%lo:53                                   0.0.0.0:*                                     
tcp                LISTEN              0                   128                                    0.0.0.0:22                                   0.0.0.0:*                                     
tcp                LISTEN              0                   128                                       [::]:22                                      [::]:*                                     
username@hostname:~$ ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: ens3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:16:ce:ce:97:8f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp0s3
    inet 111.222.11.33/24 brd 111.222.11.255 scope global ens3
    inet6 fe80::216:ceff:fece:978f/64 scope link
3: ens4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:16:e9:e9:cc:67 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp0s4
    inet 111.222.22.44/24 brd 111.222.22.255 scope global ens4
    inet6 fe80::216:e9ff:fee9:cc67/64 scope link
username@hostname:~$ ip r
default via 111.222.22.1 dev ens4 proto static
default via 111.222.11.1 dev ens3 proto static
111.222.22.0/24 dev ens4 proto kernel scope link src 111.222.22.44
111.222.11.0/24 dev ens3 proto kernel scope link src 111.222.11.33

What I did to test the connection was to use n‌c -l4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8493 to listen to the IPv4 address and open a t‌elnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8493 on another machine. Even though the ss -lntu command gives the same output for the sockets (only the IP address differs), only the main IP address can communicate outside the localhost.

I must admit I have a hard time following the terms "interface", "address", "route", etc., and what I really need to set up to accomplish what I want. I have no clue what the internal IP address is for and if it is useful to me. I played with netplan and ip and I prefer ip if possible.

Looking for help because not only search engines haven't been really helpful but the server is 3000 miles away and I can't kick it.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Considering ipv4 only for the moment, you want one server with one interface card to have two public IP addresses. Why? Pretty much anything you might want to do is more easily accomplished some other way.

One IP is for a website, the other is for a Tor relay. The Tor relay can optionally (preferably) be connected through an IPv6 as well.

Caveat: I have limited experience/knowledge on this. It sounds like you want one computer to act like multiple computers when seen from the Internet.

Keep in mind that the DNS (Domain Name Servers) on the Internet go only as far as your service providers connection to you. It is up to you to handle everything past that.

One approach that may work is to have a Router (or possibly just a Switch) connected to the Internet, then the various computer network cards individually connect to the Router with an Ethernet cable. You MAY need a Router for each incoming IP address.

A problem may arise with the network driver software in the computer not being able to handle two network cards. If so, perhaps a copy of the driver software can be loaded for each network card.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Interesting situation, please keep us updated!

p.p.s. If you can successfully run two instances of the network software on the computer, you may be able to avoid the two Routers.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu
Problem solved. My setup was good and the instructions from the web were also good.

The extra IP is DDoS protected and these firewall rules are on the ISP level, above my OS. Basically, everything was blocked except ports 22 and 30120 (which is apparently a port for a FiveM server, a server for the game GTA V multiplayer). This was probably set by the previous owner of the IP. Deleted every rule and now the IP is accessible.

Good thing I couldn't kick the server.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu, nsaspook and Tom.G

1. How many extra IPs can be connected to a server?

The number of extra IPs that can be connected to a server depends on the specific server configuration and the hosting provider. Some servers may allow for a limited number of additional IPs, while others may have the capability to connect a larger number. It is best to consult with the server administrator or hosting provider for the exact limit.

2. What is the purpose of connecting extra IPs on a server?

Connecting extra IPs on a server can serve a variety of purposes. Some common reasons include hosting multiple websites or applications on the same server, creating separate IP addresses for different services or devices, and improving security by isolating certain activities or clients to a specific IP address.

3. How are extra IPs connected to a server?

The process of connecting extra IPs to a server varies depending on the server type and hosting provider. In most cases, it involves configuring the network settings and assigning the additional IPs to the server. This can typically be done through the server's control panel or by using command line tools.

4. Can extra IPs be removed from a server?

Yes, extra IPs can be removed from a server if they are no longer needed. This can be done by disconnecting them from the server's network settings or by releasing them from the hosting provider. It is important to properly remove any unused IPs to avoid potential security risks and to free up resources for other purposes.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when connecting extra IPs on a server?

There may be certain limitations or restrictions when connecting extra IPs on a server, depending on the hosting provider or server configuration. For example, there may be additional fees for using a certain number of IPs, or certain activities may be prohibited on specific IPs. It is important to check with the server administrator or hosting provider for any potential limitations or restrictions before connecting extra IPs.

Back