How can i determine Specific heat capacity of Water cpv if i know all variables

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the specific heat capacity of water, given certain variables and an equation. The final answer for cpv should be calculated using the equation provided.
Firben
How can i determine Specific heat capacity of Water cpv if i know all variables

If i use this equation:

[(mi1 + mi2 +mv)cpv + mg*cpg]dT/dt = H

mi1 = mass 1

dT/dt = 0.05

cpg = 890 J/(kg*K)

mi2 = mass 2

mv = mass 3

H = 300 W

masses are arbitrary numbers

Its cpv that i should determine

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you're having difficulties solving the equation for [itex]cpv[/itex], in that case you need to give it a go and show us what you've done and where you're getting stuck. Your final answer should look like this, see if you can get it.
[tex] cpv = \frac{\frac{H}{\frac{dT}{dt}} - mg cpg}{m_{i1} + m_{i2} + m_v} [/tex]

Related to How can i determine Specific heat capacity of Water cpv if i know all variables

1. How can I determine the specific heat capacity of water?

To determine the specific heat capacity of water, you need to know the mass, temperature change, and heat input or output of the water. This can be calculated using the formula: cpv = (m x ΔT) / Q, where m is the mass, ΔT is the temperature change, and Q is the heat input or output.

2. What units are used to measure specific heat capacity?

The unit used to measure specific heat capacity is joules per kilogram per Kelvin (J/kg∙K) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be measured in calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g∙°C) in the cgs system.

3. Can specific heat capacity vary with temperature?

Yes, specific heat capacity can vary with temperature. In fact, as the temperature of water increases, its specific heat capacity also increases. This is because water molecules have more kinetic energy at higher temperatures, making it more difficult to change their temperature.

4. What other factors can affect the specific heat capacity of water?

Apart from temperature, the specific heat capacity of water can also be affected by the purity and pressure of the water. Impurities in water can change its specific heat capacity, while higher pressures can increase the density of water, resulting in a change in its specific heat capacity.

5. Is the specific heat capacity of water always the same?

No, the specific heat capacity of water can vary depending on the conditions. For example, pure water at a constant pressure and temperature will have a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/kg∙K. However, seawater or other solutions can have different specific heat capacities due to the presence of other substances.