Specific heat capacity - heating ice/water

In summary, the problem involves a pot of water and ice at equilibrium at 0degC. During the first 50mins, the mixture remains at 0degC, and from 50 to 60mins, the temperature increases to 2degC. The specific heat capacity of water is 4186J/kg/degC and the latent heat of water fusion is 3.3x10^5 J/kg. To find the initial mass of ice, the equation q=mcT is used, with 'q' being the heat added, 'm' being the total mass of ice and water, and 'c' being the specific heat capacity. Then, the equation q=mL is
slaw155

Homework Statement

A pot on a stove burner contains 10kg of water and an unknown mass of ice at equilibrium at 0degC at time = 0min. During the first 50mins, the mixture remains at 0degC. From 50 to 60mins the temperature increases to 2degC. What is the initial mass of ice? Ignore the heat capacity of the pot. Take specific heat capacity of water to be 4186J/kg/degC and latent heat of water fusion to be 3.3x10^5 J/kg.

Homework Equations

q=mcT and q=mL

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating the two 'q' in the above equations with 'm' in mcT being mass of ice added to mass of water, and T there being 2. However this gives me an answer different to the book. Is my approach wrong or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your approach to solving this?

NascentOxygen said:
What is your approach to solving this?

I went (mass of ice + mass of water) x c x 2 = mass of ice x L. This gives mass of ice in the range of 0.3kg whereas the textbook answer is about 1.4kg.

slaw155 said:
I went (mass of ice + mass of water) x c x 2 = mass of ice x L. This gives mass of ice in the range of 0.3kg whereas the textbook answer is about 1.4kg.
What about the time taken in each stage?

haruspex said:
What about the time taken in each stage?

How would we take into account the time of each stage? Melting takes 50mins and the heating to raise temp by 2degC takes 10mins.

slaw155 said:
How would we take into account the time of each stage? Melting takes 50mins and the heating to raise temp by 2degC takes 10mins.
The heat source is adding heat to the pot's contents at a constant rate.

Forgot to quote

NascentOxygen said:
The heat source is adding heat to the pot's contents at a constant rate.
Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Specific heat capacity - heating ice/water

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how well a substance can store thermal energy.

Why is specific heat capacity important when heating ice or water?

Specific heat capacity is important when heating ice or water because it determines how much energy is needed to change the temperature of the substance. This is especially significant for water, as it has a high specific heat capacity, meaning it requires a lot of energy to heat up or cool down.

How does specific heat capacity affect the melting of ice?

Specific heat capacity plays a role in the melting of ice because it takes a significant amount of energy to melt ice and change its state from a solid to a liquid. This is due to the high specific heat capacity of water.

What factors can affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be affected by its chemical composition, density, and temperature. It can also be influenced by external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting experiments to determine the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. This can be done using a calorimeter, which measures the heat exchange between a substance and its surroundings.