Determining the specific heat capacity of water

In summary, the author had a huge random error for the voltmeter and ammeter (3.01%) - any idea why this is? and what should be discussed in the discussion section.
VegemiteJuice

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have an assignment to determine the specific heat capacity of water using a calorimeter, voltmeter and ammeter, where we connected the calorimeter to a 10V power pack and measured the temp of the water and the readings on the voltmeter and ammeter every minute. I ended up having a huge random error for the voltmeter and ammeter (3.01%) - any idea why this is?
Also what should I talk about in my discussion?

Homework Equations

To calculate the specific heat capacity I used
PΔt = mc(water)ΔT + mc(calorimeter)ΔT
and I got a value of 3.95 +- 3.45% J g-1 K-1

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "huge random error for the voltmeter and ammeter"? Were the readings fluctuating up and down? Changed gradually over time?

Hi Juice, :welcome:

So you have three series of T, I and V as a function of time. It would be logical to plot them as a function of time to see if the errors are really random, or that there is more going on.

CWatters said:
What do you mean by a "huge random error for the voltmeter and ammeter"? Were the readings fluctuating up and down? Changed gradually over time?
We wrote down the measurements displayed on the ammeter and voltmeter every minute, until the water had increased by over 20K (it took 5 minutes). The readings on each fluctuated every time, and the random errors were 0.11A and 0.1V, which ended up being quite a large % error.

How do you know they were errors ?

BvU said:
Hi Juice, :welcome:

So you have three series of T, I and V as a function of time. It would be logical to plot them as a function of time to see if the errors are really random, or that there is more going on.
Alright, I'll try that.
Thank you BvU!

did you stir the water during the experiment?

+1 to the questions above.

Also..

How many digits could the meters display? 10.1V is three significant digits. Could it display 10.05V or is 10.1V the nearest it can get?
What was a typical current? Something like 3.11A is also three significant digits.

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass.

2. Why is it important to determine the specific heat capacity of water?

Water has a unique and high specific heat capacity, which means it can absorb and store large amounts of heat energy. This makes it important in many industrial and environmental processes, as well as for understanding Earth's climate and weather patterns.

3. How is the specific heat capacity of water determined?

The specific heat capacity of water can be determined through experiments that involve heating a known mass of water and measuring the change in temperature. This data can then be used to calculate the specific heat capacity using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) at standard temperature and pressure. However, this value can vary slightly depending on the temperature and pressure of the water.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of water change?

The specific heat capacity of water is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities. As such, it can change slightly under different conditions. However, for practical purposes, the specific heat capacity of water is considered constant at standard temperature and pressure.