I try to solve a thermodynamics problem on heat transfer

In summary, the thermodynamic container must have a heat capacity of 95740 Joules/kilogram to absorb the amount of heat given up by the water when the temperature is raised from -4 degrees to 40 degrees Celsius.
Salmone
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
Find the thermal capacity of a container with ice and water
Relevant Equations
##Q=C \Delta T##
I have some doubts about a thermodynamics exercise I did-I'll write down the text and show how I tried to solve it to see if I reasoned it out right.

In a container of thermal capacity ##C## containing ##1.0 kg## of ice at a temperature of ##-4.0 °C##, a mass of ##3.0 kg## of water is poured into it at a temperature of ##40.0 °C##. There is no heat exchange with the surroundings. The specific heats of water and ice are ##4186 J/kgK## and ##2090 J/kgK##, respectively, while the latent heat of fusion of ice is ##3.33 × 105 J/kg##.

The exercise asks to calculate the thermal capacity ##C## that the container must have if we want that at the equilibrium temperature just ##\frac{1}{3}## of the mass of the ice is melted.

I reasoned like this:

at the equilibrium temperature if the ice is not completely melted, it means the equilibrium temperature is 0 degrees. This means that the 3 kilograms of water will give up a total amount of heat equal to ##Q=cm \Delta T=(4186)(3)(40)=502320J##. This amount of heat will be absorbed initially by the ice to be brought to zero degrees and later to melt ##\frac{1}{3}## of the mass.

The heat absorbed by the ice for reach ##0## degrees can be calculated as: ##Q=cm(4 °C)=8360J##.

The heat absorbed by the ice in order to melt ##\frac{1}{3}## of the mass can be calculated with the ice latent heat of fusion as: ##\frac{3.33 x 10^5}{3}=111000J##
At this point, I can calculate the amount of total heat that the ice absorbs, which is the sum of ##8360J## and ##111000J## which is equal to ##119360J##, I can subtract it from the amount of total heat that the water gives up, and I get the amount of heat given up by the water that is not absorbed by the ice and must therefore be absorbed by the container. This quantity is ##502320J-119360J=382960J##.

I imagined that the initial temperature of the container was -4 degrees so this must absorb that amount of heat and have a heat capacity that allows it to raise its T by 4 degrees, absorbing that amount of heat.

From here I can calculate the final ##C=\frac{382960J}{4}=95740 J/K##

We are at the end of the problem, is this the right way of reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show more details of your equations and calculations. Your answer looks about right.

Last edited:
Likes Salmone
Your reasoning looks good to me. Your calculations also look correct except for this subtraction:
Salmone said:
##502320J-119360J=383785J##.

Likes Salmone
TSny said:
Your reasoning looks good to me. Your calculations also look correct except for this subtraction:
Thank you, corrected.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how this affects the behavior of matter.

2. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction (direct contact), convection (through a fluid), and radiation (through electromagnetic waves).

3. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem on heat transfer?

To solve a thermodynamics problem on heat transfer, you must first identify the variables involved (e.g. temperature, heat flux, material properties), then apply the appropriate equations and principles (e.g. Fourier's law, Newton's law of cooling) to calculate the desired outcome.

4. What are some common applications of thermodynamics in heat transfer?

Thermodynamics and heat transfer have many practical applications, such as in designing HVAC systems, engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. They are also used in understanding weather patterns, the Earth's climate, and the behavior of stars and planets.

5. Why is thermodynamics important in understanding heat transfer?

Thermodynamics provides a framework for understanding and predicting how heat transfer will occur in different systems. It helps us understand the fundamental principles behind heat transfer and allows us to make informed decisions in designing and optimizing various processes and technologies.