Find rate of temperature change using heat capacity, density and area

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of specific heat capacity using the equation Q=mcΔT, where Q is the change in heat, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The conversation also mentions the relationship between dQ/dt and ΔT, and using the equation dQ/dt= A*5.67E-8*T^4 to find dQ/dt. Additionally, the topic of finding mass using the equation m=pV is brought up. However, there is confusion on how to relate dQ/dt to Q and how to integrate dQ/dt with respect to ΔT. The conversation suggests dividing Q=mcΔ
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
dQ/dt=Ae*5.67E-8*T^4
So first I found rate of heat change using the above equation, with T=883K, e=1, SA= 6*l^2=21.66

Now dQ/dt=746593.71 W

Now I am not sure entirely what to do next. They give density so I likely have to get the mass from that, M=pV,=1.9^3*4037=27689.783 kg.

My issue is that I don't know how to relate change in heat to h=change in temperature.

I could try Q=mc(change in T). But I have change in Q, not Q. Not sure how I would integrate dQ/dT either...

Answer is -0.04121 btw.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 111
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of specific heat capacity? Might be relevant...

Likes hmmm27
JoeyBob said:
I could try Q=mc(change in T). But I have change in Q, not Q.
You have Q = mcΔT. Let Δt be the time interval corresponding to the change in temperature ΔT. Think about the equation that you get by dividing both sides of Q = mcΔT by Δt. For small Δt, how does the left side relate to dQ/dt?

Likes hutchphd
TSny said:
You have Q = mcΔT. Let Δt be the time interval corresponding to the change in temperature ΔT. Think about the equation that you get by dividing both sides of Q = mcΔT by Δt. For small Δt, how does the left side relate to dQ/dt?

So I can find dQ/dt using dQ/dt=A*5.67E-8*T^4

I can find m using m=pV

And I know Q=mc(change in T)

But dQ/dt isn't Q. Or can I just put it in the equation anyways and solve for change in T and it will work?

$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=mc\frac{dT}{dt}$$

Likes JoeyBob

1. What is the formula for finding the rate of temperature change using heat capacity, density, and area?

The formula is: rate of temperature change = (heat capacity x density x area)/time

2. How do heat capacity, density, and area affect the rate of temperature change?

Heat capacity refers to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance. Density is a measure of how tightly packed the molecules are in a substance. Area is the amount of surface area available for heat transfer. All of these factors play a role in determining the rate of temperature change, as they affect the amount of heat that can be transferred and how quickly it can be transferred.

3. What units are used for heat capacity, density, area, and time in the formula?

Heat capacity is typically measured in joules per kelvin (J/K). Density is measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). Area is measured in square meters (m^2). Time is measured in seconds (s).

4. Can this formula be used for any substance?

Yes, this formula can be used for any substance as long as the values for heat capacity, density, and area are known. However, it is important to note that the values for these variables may vary depending on the substance being studied.

5. How can I use this formula in practical applications?

This formula can be used in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as calculating the rate of temperature change in a cooking process, determining the heat transfer in a heating or cooling system, or analyzing the thermal properties of different materials. It is a useful tool for understanding and predicting temperature changes in different systems.