Highschool Student Struggling to Understand Doppler Effect Paper

In summary, the speaker is a high school student interested in astrophysics and is trying to understand a paper by Dr. Sophia Cisneros on the Doppler Effect for light emitted from an accretion disc of a black hole using Kerr metrics. They are seeking help due to difficulty understanding scientific jargon. They also mention wanting to do an informational interview with the author. However, the expert notes that the paper is beyond the scope of high school level and offers to provide some assistance depending on the information needed.
inspacewithcallisto
TL;DR Summary
I need help understanding an article about the Doppler effect for light and black hole physics.
I'm a highschool student learning about astrophysics, and I'm trying to understand this paper by Dr. Sophia Cisneros because I find it interesting and I want to do an informational interview. The problem is, I just have really bad reading comprehension, especially with all the scientific jargon I don't know. It's on the Doppler Effect for light, emitted from the accretion disc of a black hole using Kerr metrics. Could anyone help out?
https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/448/3/2733/1106963

Likes vanhees71
Astronomy news on Phys.org
inspacewithcallisto said:
I'm trying to understand this paper by Dr. Sophia Cisneros because I find it interesting and I want to do an informational interview. The problem is, I just have really bad reading comprehension, especially with all the scientific jargon I don't know. It's on the Doppler Effect for light, emitted from the accretion disc of a black hole using Kerr metrics.
That's a fairly advanced paper for where you are in school right now. Do you understand the Doppler effect for sound already? If so, do you have an idea why the paper talks about both motional Doppler effects and gravitational Doppler effects for the light emitted?

Likes vanhees71
What does "do an informational interview" mean here? That you're planning to talk to the author about this paper?

As berkeman notes, that paper is several years of study beyond the end of a high school course. We can't teach you enough so you can understand it here, but depending on what you want to know and why we might be able to offer some help.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

2. How does the Doppler Effect apply to high school students?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday situations, such as when a high school student hears the sound of a siren from an ambulance or police car. As the vehicle approaches, the sound waves have a higher frequency, and as it passes by and moves away, the frequency decreases.

3. Why is it important for high school students to understand the Doppler Effect?

Understanding the Doppler Effect can help high school students better understand the world around them and how waves behave. It can also be applied to various fields of science, such as astronomy, meteorology, and seismology.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is used in various technologies, such as radar and sonar, to determine the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging to create images of internal organs and blood flow.

5. How can high school students better understand the Doppler Effect?

High school students can better understand the Doppler Effect by conducting experiments and simulations, such as using a moving source and observer to observe changes in frequency. They can also watch videos or participate in hands-on activities to visualize the effect in action.