Understanding the Doppler Effect: Solving the Bat Problem

In summary, the problem involves the Doppler effect with a bat chasing an insect at 4.10 m/s. The bat emits a 40.0-kHz chirp and receives back an echo at 40.4 kHz from the insect. To solve this, we treat the bat as the source in the first step and the observer in the second step. The final equation should have a different symbol for the observed frequency by the bat.
physicsfan999
Homework Statement
A bat flying at 4.10 m/s is chasing an insect flying in the same direction. The bat emits a 40.0-kHz chirp and receives back an echo at 40.4 kHz. (Take the speed of sound in air to be 340 m/s.)
Relevant Equations
f_o=f_s(v+v_o/v-v_s)
I'm struggling a lot with this problem on the Doppler effect. I understand the first step which is to treat the bat as the source of the emitted sound, giving

1614718292037.png

And the second to treat the bat now as the observer, but instead of using f_b on the left the solution involves setting both frequencies to the reflected wave.
1614718268174.png

I understand there should 2 different variables here for the equation to make sense but I need help understanding why the second step involves setting the two frequencies the same. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsfan999 said:
Homework Statement:: A bat flying at 4.10 m/s is chasing an insect flying in the same direction. The bat emits a 40.0-kHz chirp and receives back an echo at 40.4 kHz. (Take the speed of sound in air to be 340 m/s.)
Relevant Equations:: f_o=f_s(v+v_o/v-v_s)

I'm struggling a lot with this problem on the Doppler effect. I understand the first step which is to treat the bat as the source of the emitted sound, giving

View attachment 279012

And the second to treat the bat now as the observer, but instead of using f_b on the left the solution involves setting both frequencies to the reflected wave.
View attachment 279011
I understand there should 2 different variables here for the equation to make sense but I need help understanding why the second step involves setting the two frequencies the same. Thanks in advance!
As you correctly say, this is a 2-stage process. In stage-1 we find the observed frequency (##f_i##) with the insect as the observer). In stage-2 we treat ##f_i## as the source frequency because this is the frequency of the reflected signal sent from the insect to the bat.

Your final equation$$f_i = f_i (\frac {343 + v_b}{343 + v_i})$$is wrong. You need to give the final observed frequency (by the bat) a different symbol:$$f_{observed-by-bat} = f_i (\frac {343 + v_b}{343 + v_i})$$Can I suggest you watch this:
Edit - typo' corrected.

Likes collinsmark, Doc Al and rsk

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a perceived change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect apply to the Bat Problem?

In the Bat Problem, the Doppler Effect is used to explain how bats use echolocation to navigate and hunt for prey. As the bat emits a high frequency sound wave, it bounces off objects and returns to the bat with a lower frequency due to the bat's motion towards the object.

3. What is the equation for the Doppler Effect?

The equation for the Doppler Effect is: f' = f (v + vo) / (v - vs), where f' is the perceived frequency, f is the emitted frequency, v is the speed of sound, vo is the observer's velocity, and vs is the source's velocity.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in other fields of science?

The Doppler Effect is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, meteorology, and seismology. It is used to study the motion and velocity of stars, planets, and galaxies, as well as to track weather patterns and detect earthquakes.

5. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by is due to the Doppler Effect. The same can be observed with the sound of a passing train or car horn.