Wave superposition and Doppler effect.

In summary, the student is trying to find the sound frequency emitted by a tuning fork while running towards a sound reflecting wall at 5m/s. They know they need to use the Doppler effect and consider wave superposition, as well as understanding beat frequency. They have calculated the frequency to be 548.8 Hz, but the correct answer is 137.17 Hz. The student needs to also apply the Doppler formula to the reflections off the two walls to find the correct frequency.
FerN61

Homework Statement

A student is at some point between two sound reflecting walls. He's holding a tuning fork and runs towards one of the walls at 5m/s. The pulsating frequency he hears is 8Hz. ¿What's the sound frequency emitted by the tuning fork?
Answer: 137.17 Hz.

I know I'm supposed to use doppler effect but I guess I have to consider wave superposition since there are two walls, but I don't know how to unify both.

Physics news on Phys.org
FerN61 said:
I know I'm supposed to use doppler effect but I guess I have to consider wave superposition since there are two walls, but I don't know how to unify both.
In addition to the Doppler effect, you need to understand beat frequency. (Look that up!)

Likes 1 person
Beats

Ok so, it is a beat frequency so

f2-f1 = 8

f2= f1+8

using doppler's formula

f1+8=f1((Vsound+5)/Vsound)
Assuming Vsound= 343 m/2

f0=548.8

The answer is supposed to be 137.17... What am I doing wrong?

You're on the right track, but there's a bit more to it. The two sounds that are creating the beat frequency are the reflections off the two walls. So you have to find those frequencies. Hint: For each of those reflections you'll need to apply the Doppler formula twice.

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that wave superposition and the Doppler effect are two separate concepts that can be applied in this scenario. Wave superposition refers to the phenomenon of two or more waves overlapping and creating a resultant wave. In this case, the sound waves emitted by the tuning fork will reflect off both walls and interfere with each other, resulting in a specific frequency being heard by the student.

On the other hand, the Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. In this scenario, the student's motion towards the wall causes a decrease in the wavelength and an increase in the frequency of the sound waves reaching his ears.

To find the sound frequency emitted by the tuning fork, we can use the equation for the Doppler effect, which is given by f' = f(v ± u)/ (v ± vs), where f' is the observed frequency, f is the emitted frequency, v is the speed of sound, u is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and vs is the speed of the source.

Substituting the given values, we get f' = f(343 ± 5)/ (343 ± 0), where 343 m/s is the speed of sound and 5 m/s is the student's velocity towards the wall. Solving for f, we get f = f'/ (343 ± 5) = 8/ (343 ± 5) = 137.17 Hz.

In conclusion, we can use the concepts of wave superposition and the Doppler effect to determine the sound frequency emitted by the tuning fork in this scenario. By considering both of these concepts, we can better understand the behavior of sound waves and how they are affected by different factors.

Related to Wave superposition and Doppler effect.

What is wave superposition?

Wave superposition is the phenomenon where two or more waves overlap and combine to form a new wave. The resulting wave has a displacement that is the sum of the individual displacements of each wave at that point in time.

How does wave superposition affect the amplitude of a wave?

When two waves with the same direction and frequency superimpose, the resulting amplitude is the sum of the individual amplitudes. This is known as constructive interference. However, if the waves have opposite directions, the resulting amplitude will be the difference between the individual amplitudes, known as destructive interference.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same direction and frequency superimpose, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves with opposite directions and the same frequency superimpose, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency will increase and the wave will appear to have a higher pitch. If the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will decrease and the wave will appear to have a lower pitch.

What are some real-life applications of the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect has several practical applications, such as in radar technology to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, in medical ultrasound to measure blood flow, and in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms. It is also used in astronomy to determine the velocity of stars and galaxies.