Help with PreCalc: Sum/Difference Identities

• B
  • Thread starter Thinkaholic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the individual is a 13-year-old self-studying pre-calculus and struggling with sum/difference identities. They have made a mistake in their calculation of tan(4pi/3+5pi/4) and are embarrassed about it. After receiving advice from others, they were able to solve the problem. The trick to solving this type of problem involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.
Thinkaholic
Hi, I know this is baby/fetus/sperm/molecule math for all of you, but I'm 13 and trying to self study my way to physics. Anyway, I'm teaching myself pre calculus. Most of it is pretty easy, but I've been stuck on sum/difference identities. It seems clear, and I'm folliwing everything the textbook is telling me. However, I think I'm making stupid mistakes. For example:

Question: tan(4pi/3+5pi/4)

I worked out the format of the tangent sum of two angles, and:
(Tan(4pi/3)+tan(5pi/4) )/(1-tan(4pi/3)tan(5pi/4))
=(sqrt(3)+1)/(1-(sqrt(3)))
That was my answer

Book answer:-sqrt(3)-2

Please tell me what stupid mistake I'm making if you can. I'm probably really embarrassing myself.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try expanding your fraction with (1+sqrt(3)), then you can simplify it further.
In general, you can get rid of nearly all square roots in denominators with this trick.

To elaborate on what @mfb said, multiply your answer by 1, in the form of ##\frac{1+\sqrt 3}{1 + \sqrt 3}##. After you simplify, you will get the book's answer.
The trick involves multiplying the denominator by its conjugate -- the same two terms but with the opposite sign between them. If you multiply the numerator by the same quantity, you are multiplying by 1, which doesn't change the actual value of the fraction, but puts it into a different form.

Likes rrogers
Thanks people! I solved it yesterday, but forgot to say so. :p

1. What are sum/difference identities in PreCalc?

Sum/difference identities in PreCalc are trigonometric identities that involve the addition or subtraction of angles. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

2. What is the formula for the sum of two angles in trigonometry?

The formula for the sum of two angles in trigonometry is sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B). This formula can also be used for the difference of two angles by simply changing the plus sign to a minus sign.

3. How do I use sum/difference identities to simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression using sum/difference identities, you can use the corresponding formula to rewrite the expression in terms of sine and cosine. Then, you can use other trigonometric identities or algebraic techniques to further simplify the expression.

4. Can sum/difference identities be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, sum/difference identities can be used to solve trigonometric equations. By using these identities, you can transform the given equation into a simpler form that is easier to solve. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the solutions of the equation.

5. Are there any tricks to remember the sum/difference identities?

One helpful trick to remember the sum/difference identities is to use the acronym SOH-CAH-TOA (sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, tangent = opposite/adjacent). This can help you remember the formulas for sin(A+B), cos(A+B), and tan(A+B). Additionally, you can practice using these identities to solve different types of problems to improve your understanding and memory.