Sum-difference trig identity help

In summary, the conversation discusses an engineering problem involving an equation with various trigonometric functions. The individual is unsure if the equation can be simplified, but mentions a possible expression using sum-difference formulas. The potential for simplification is also mentioned.
volican
Hi,

I am working on an engineering problem and I have an equation which takes the following form:

x = (A * cosα * sinθ) + (B * sinα * cosθ)

Can this be further simplified? It almost looks like one of the sum-difference formulas you find in tables of trigonometric identities. I'm not to sure about the different coeffieints though. Any help would be much apreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##2 \cos \alpha \sin \theta = \sin(\alpha + \theta) + \sin(-\alpha+\theta)## could be interesting. Not sure if the result is "simplified", but it is at least a different compact expression.

If |A|=|B|, he expression can be simplified.

That condition is not necessary.

Related to Sum-difference trig identity help

What are the sum-difference trig identities?

The sum-difference trig identities are a set of formulas that express the trigonometric functions of the sum or difference of two angles in terms of the trigonometric functions of the individual angles.

How do I use sum-difference trig identities?

To use sum-difference trig identities, you need to identify the type of identity needed for the given problem, apply the formula, and simplify the expression using basic trigonometric identities.

What is the purpose of sum-difference trig identities?

Sum-difference trig identities are used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions, solve trigonometric equations, and prove trigonometric identities.

Are there any special cases when using sum-difference trig identities?

Yes, there are special cases when using sum-difference trig identities, such as when the angles are complementary or supplementary, or when one of the angles is equal to 0 or 90 degrees.

Can I derive sum-difference trig identities?

Yes, sum-difference trig identities can be derived using the fundamental trigonometric identities and the properties of the sum and difference of two angles.