Establishing Identities - Possible Misprint on Worksheet

In summary: You really don't understand the whole reward thing, do you?Take a chess board. Place one penny on the first square, two pennies on the next, four pennies on the next, 8, 16, etc. until the whole board is full. All you want is all the money on the board. Say you will accept payment plans for merely 0.01% yearly. His scions will take the remainder of the loan and pay it to your scions for however many generations it will take. :)That's my standard bribe for changing grades.
Dundee3
Hey guys, I'm just going over my work files for this week and I've noticed 2 problems that have fooled me, and seem a little bizarre for my current mathematical level. They do involve trig, and a part of me is hoping for a misprint on the sheet, but I'm more sure that it's my own inadequacies that are hurting me here.

The first problem is listed as follows:

sin((\pi/4) + x) = sqrt2/2(cosxx +sinx)

My objective there is to "Establish the Identity", and the 2 'x's right next to each other on the right side of the equal sign is confusing to me.

Secondly:

cos(\alpha+\beta)/cos\alphacos\beta = cot\beta - tan\alpha

That second problem is also under the objective "Establish the Identity". For problem 2, I feel like I've solved it as far as I can, but the answer I keep leading back to once I've gone through standard replacement procedures for identity establishment I keep getting:

cos(\alpha + \beta)/cos/alphacos\beta = (cos\beta - sin\alpha)/sin\betacos\alpha

As you guys might have guessed, our previous lesson was over the sum and difference identities and using them to simplify expressions. Any help would be incredible.

Thank you guys.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
extra x must be a typo ...

\(\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{4} + x\right) =\)

\(\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \cos{x} + \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \sin{x} =\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \cos{x} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \sin{x} =\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \left(\cos{x}+\sin{x}\right)\)

I disagree with the outcome of your 2nd identity ...

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos(\alpha+\beta)}{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}} =\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}-\sin{\alpha}\sin{\beta}}{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}} =\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}}{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}}-\frac{\sin{\alpha}\sin{\beta}}{\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta}} =\)

\(\displaystyle 1 - \tan{\alpha}\tan{\beta} =\)

\(\displaystyle \cot{\beta}\tan{\beta} - \tan{\alpha}\tan{\beta} =\)

\(\displaystyle \tan{\beta}(\cot{\beta} - \tan{\alpha})\)

Thank you so much!

Correcting the typo in the first problem made everything fall perfectly into place.

You did an incredible job and I thank you for it.

My only concern was on the second expression. Doing the computation we're left with:

tanB(cotB - tanA)

And, I've noticed on my original worksheet that the outcome we're "supposed" to get is simply:

CotB - TanA (without the term on the outside of the parentheses)

Is this another typo? Or another of my delusions?

Dundee3 said:
My only concern was on the second expression. Doing the computation we're left with:

tanB(cotB - tanA)

And, I've noticed on my original worksheet that the outcome we're "supposed" to get is simply:

CotB - TanA (without the term on the outside of the parentheses)

Is this another typo? Or another of my delusions?

as I stated, I disagree with what's on the WS ... if my work has an error (and it may), then one of the other helpers will point it out.

you can check both ... pick two random angles for alpha & beta whose cosine is not zero.

Thank you so much =) Is there a way I can repay you?

Dundee3 said:
Thank you so much =) Is there a way I can repay you?

$ 10 million would be nice (just kidding) ... just pay it forward to someone else.

skeeter said:
$ 10 million would be nice (just kidding) ... just pay it forward to someone else.
skeeter old pal. You really don't understand the whole reward thing, do you?

Take a chess board. Place one penny on the first square, two pennies on the next, four pennies on the next, 8, 16, etc. until the whole board is full. All you want is all the money on the board. Say you will accept payment plans for merely 0.01% yearly. His scions will take the remainder of the loan and pay it to your scions for however many generations it will take. :)

That's my standard bribe for changing grades.

-Dan

I wouldn't live long enough to spend it all ... but I'd have a hell of a lot of fun trying. ;)

What does it mean to establish an identity?

Establishing an identity refers to the process of determining the unique characteristics or attributes that define a person, object, or concept. This can involve identifying key features, traits, or qualities that differentiate one entity from another.

Why is establishing an identity important?

Establishing an identity is important because it allows us to accurately identify and differentiate between different entities. This can help us understand their roles, functions, and relationships within a system or society.

What is a possible misprint on a worksheet?

A possible misprint on a worksheet is an error or mistake that occurs during the printing process, resulting in incorrect or inaccurate information being presented on the worksheet. This could include typos, missing or duplicated information, or incorrect formatting.

How can a misprint on a worksheet affect the establishment of identities?

A misprint on a worksheet can affect the establishment of identities by causing confusion or misunderstanding about the information being presented. This can lead to incorrect or incomplete identities being identified, which can have a ripple effect on any subsequent analysis or decision-making based on those identities.

What should be done if a misprint is found on a worksheet when establishing identities?

If a misprint is found on a worksheet when establishing identities, it is important to correct the error as soon as possible. This could involve reprinting the worksheet with the correct information, or making a note of the error and providing a corrected version of the worksheet to any individuals or systems that may be using the information.