Solving Proving Identities - Trig Chapter Problems

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary: So, the second problem simplifies to $1=1$. This might seem odd, but it actually makes sense because both sides of the equation are equivalent expressions. This means that the original identity is true for all values of $\theta$.
paulmdrdo1
Hey guys, I'm about to finish answering the chapter problems on my trigonometry books about proving Identities, there are 2 problems that made me scratch my head though. They are the last 2 problems left that I'm not yet able to verify. I would greatly appreciate it if you could lend me some hints to do these problems.

$\frac{1}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}-\frac{4\tan^{2}(x)}{\left(1-\tan^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$

$\frac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1}{\tan(\theta)-1\sec(\theta)+1}=\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}$

from here I have no idea what to do next. please help. Thanks!My attempt for prob1

$\frac{1}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}-\frac{(4)\frac{\sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}}{\left(1-\frac{\sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}\right)^2}=1$$\frac{1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
Hey guys, I'm about to finish answering the chapter problems on my trigonometry books about proving Identities, there are 2 problems that made me scratch my head though. They are the last 2 problems left that I'm not yet able to verify. I would greatly appreciate it if you could lend me some hints to do these problems.

$\frac{1}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}-\frac{4\tan^{2}(x)}{\left(1-\tan^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$

$\frac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1}{\tan(\theta)-1\sec(\theta)+1}=\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}$

from here I have no idea what to do next. please help. Thanks!My attempt for prob1

$\frac{1}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}-\frac{(4)\frac{\sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}}{\left(1-\frac{\sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}\right)^2}=1$$\frac{1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$

Hint: you get:

$$\frac{1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$$

Hence:

$$1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)=\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2$$

Now expand the RHS to get:

$$1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)= \cos^4(x) - 2 \cos^2(x) \sin^2(x) + \sin^4(x)$$

And simplify:

$$1-2\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)= \cos^4(x) + \sin^4(x)$$

$$\cos^4(x) + 2\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x) + \sin^4(x) = 1$$

Does that look like anything you know? Hint: $(a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2$.

Bacterius said:
Hint: you get:

$$\frac{1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)}{\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2}=1$$

Hence:

$$1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)=\left(\cos^{2}(x)-\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2$$

Now expand the RHS to get:

$$1-4\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)= \cos^4(x) - 2 \cos^2(x) \sin^2(x) + \sin^4(x)$$

And simplify:

$$1-2\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x)= \cos^4(x) + \sin^4(x)$$

$$\cos^4(x) + 2\cos^{2}(x)\sin^{2}(x) + \sin^4(x) = 1$$

Does that look like anything you know? Hint: $(a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2$.

Yes! $\left(\cos^{2}(x)+\sin^{2}(x)\right)^2=1$

$1=1$

How about the second problem?

paulmdrdo said:
How about the second problem?

Try multiplying out the fractions, and rewriting everything in terms of $\sin$ and $\cos$. To get you started:

$$\frac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}=\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}$$

$$(\cos(\theta)) (\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1)=(\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1) (1+\sin(\theta))$$

$$(\cos(\theta)) (\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}+\frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}-1)=(\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}- \frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}+1) (1+\sin(\theta))$$

Notice that a bunch of stuff simplifies right off the bat in the LHS. Now try expanding the RHS, and see where that gets you! Good luck.

Bacterius said:
Try multiplying out the fractions, and rewriting everything in terms of $\sin$ and $\cos$. To get you started:

$$\frac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}=\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}$$

$$(\cos(\theta)) (\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1)=(\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1) (1+\sin(\theta))$$

$$(\cos(\theta)) (\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}+\frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}-1)=(\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}- \frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}+1) (1+\sin(\theta))$$

Notice that a bunch of stuff simplifies right off the bat in the LHS. Now try expanding the RHS, and see where that gets you! Good luck.

I love this problem as

$\dfrac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-1}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}$
= $\dfrac{\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)-(\sec^2(\theta)- \tan ^2 (\theta)}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}$
= $\dfrac{(\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta))( 1 -(\sec(\theta)- \tan (\theta))}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}$
= $\dfrac{(\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta))( 1 -\sec(\theta)+ \tan (\theta))}{\tan(\theta)-\sec(\theta)+1}$
= $\tan(\theta)+\sec(\theta)$
= $\dfrac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}+\dfrac{1}{\cos(\theta)}$
= $\dfrac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}$

I love it because replacing 1 by $\sec^2(\theta)- \tan ^2 (\theta)$ simplifies a lot

Last edited:
Bacterius said:

Again I end up getting $\sin^{2}(\theta)+\cos^{2}(\theta)=1$

Hello, paulmdrdo!

$\frac{1}{\left(\cos^2x -\sin^2x\right)^2}-\frac{4\tan^2x}{\left(1-\tan^2x\right)^2}\;=\;1$

We are expected to know these three identities:

. . [tex]\cos2\theta \:=\:\cos^2\!\theta - \sin^2\!\theta[/tex]

. . [tex]\tan2\theta \:=\:\frac{2\tan\theta}{1-\tan^2\!\theta}[/tex]

$\quad \sec^2\!\theta - \tan^2\!\theta \:=\:1$The first fraction is: $\:\dfrac{1}{(\cos^2\!x - \sin^2\!x)^2} \:=\:\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\!2x} \:=\:\sec^2\!2x$

The second fraction is: $\:\left(\dfrac{2\tan x}{1-\tan^2\!x}\right)^2 \:=\:\tan^2\!2x$

And we have: $\:\dfrac{1}{\left(\cos^2\!x -\sin^2\!x\right)^2}-\dfrac{4\tan^2\!x}{\left(1-\tan^2\!x\right)^2} \;=\; \sec^2\!x - \tan^2\!x \; =\;1$

What are proving identities in trigonometry?

Proving identities in trigonometry involves using algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities to show that two expressions are equal for all values of the variables involved.

Why is it important to be able to solve proving identities?

Being able to solve proving identities is important because it allows us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and equations, which is necessary for solving more advanced problems in trigonometry and other branches of mathematics.

What are some common strategies for solving proving identities?

Some common strategies for solving proving identities include rewriting expressions in terms of sine and cosine, using Pythagorean identities, and factoring out common terms.

How can I check if my solution to a proving identity problem is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting in various values for the variables and seeing if the expressions on both sides of the equation are equal. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both expressions and see if they overlap.

Are there any tips for making proving identities easier?

Some tips for making proving identities easier include practicing frequently, memorizing common trigonometric identities, and breaking down complex expressions into smaller, more manageable parts.