Grade 11 Physics; Doppler Effect.

In summary: but the reflected frequency is still higher than the original frequency because the distance between the porpoise and the fish has decreased.
nblu
Hi, and thank you for your time to read this.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out the answer to this question;
Q: A porpoise swims toward a school of fish and emits a high pitched sound.
The porpoise listens for the echo of its own squeak.

I have to predict whether the observer will experience an increase or a decrease
in the observed frequency of the sound.

Here's my opinion.

A: Since the distance to be covered by each wave is decreased by the motion
of the source of the sound, the number of waves that strike the porpoise's eardrum
in a second will increase and be interpreted as a higher frequency.

Could anyone correct me if I'm wrong? or not going the right way?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
nblu said:
A: Since the distance to be covered by each wave is decreased by the motion
of the source of the sound, the number of waves that strike the porpoise's eardrum
in a second will increase and be interpreted as a higher frequency.

OK, that is correct as it stands. But you probably ought to argue your point in terms of what happens on each leg of the sound wave's travel. How does the frequency reaching the fish compare with the frequency the porpoise "squeaked"? How do the frequency the porpoise hears compare with the frequency reflecting off the fish? What causes the change on each leg?

(Incidentally, a similar comparison is made by the software interpreting the radio wave signals bounced off approaching motor vehicles by a highway patrolman's "radar gun", telling the good officer the speed of the vehicle's travel [as I've occasionally found to my cost...].)

dynamicsolo said:
OK, that is correct as it stands. But you probably ought to argue your point in terms of what happens on each leg of the sound wave's travel. How does the frequency reaching the fish compare with the frequency the porpoise "squeaked"? How do the frequency the porpoise hears compare with the frequency reflecting off the fish? What causes the change on each leg?

(Incidentally, a similar comparison is made by the software interpreting the radio wave signals bounced off approaching motor vehicles by a highway patrolman's "radar gun", telling the good officer the speed of the vehicle's travel [as I've occasionally found to my cost...].)

Um..
During the sound wave's travel, each second the wavelength of sound wave decreases, meaning that the porpoise is experiencing stronger echo.

That's the farthest I could think of right now... :(
does this also have to do with amplification of sound? as the sound wave reflects off the fish?

nblu said:
Um..
During the sound wave's travel, each second the wavelength of sound wave decreases, meaning that the porpoise is experiencing stronger echo.

That's the farthest I could think of right now... :(
does this also have to do with amplification of sound? as the sound wave reflects off the fish?

We're just considering the frequency or wavelength of the sound here. The intensity will continue to diminish (the wave gets weaker) as it travels, following an inverse square law each way; the returning sound (or radio) wave actually diminishes in strength according to an inverse-fourth power law of the total round-trip distance ( 1/(x^2) times 1/(x^2) because of the two legs of the round trip).

Your explanation of the wave having a higher frequency (or shorter wavelength) because of the motion of the porpoise toward the fish is correct for the outbound wave. That gives the frequency that reflects off the fish. But the frequency the porpoise hears is higher still. Why would that be?

dynamicsolo said:
We're just considering the frequency or wavelength of the sound here. The intensity will continue to diminish (the wave gets weaker) as it travels, following an inverse square law each way; the returning sound (or radio) wave actually diminishes in strength according to an inverse-fourth power law of the total round-trip distance ( 1/(x^2) times 1/(x^2) because of the two legs of the round trip).

Your explanation of the wave having a higher frequency (or shorter wavelength) because of the motion of the porpoise toward the fish is correct for the outbound wave. That gives the frequency that reflects off the fish. But the frequency the porpoise hears is higher still. Why would that be?

sigh... I'm sorry I just cannot think beyond the fact that the reflected frequency is still high because of the decreasing distance between the porpoise and the fish.

nblu said:
sigh... I'm sorry I just cannot think beyond the fact that the reflected frequency is still high because of the decreasing distance between the porpoise and the fish.

OK, I'm not sure how far you've gone into the Doppler Effect in your class. The change is related to the motion toward the fish. The distinction I'm making is that two things can cause the increase in frequency:

on the outbound leg, the sound is being emitted by the moving porpoise, so the wavelength of the sound wave itself is what is being compressed; the frequency of the sound traveling toward the fish is higher than what the porpoise itself "squeaked";

on the return leg, that higher frequency is unchanged -- a portion of the sound wave simply bounces off the fish and returns toward the porpoise; however, since the porpoise is traveling into the returning sound, it passes through the "peaks and troughs" (actually, increases and decreases in the water's density caused by the pressure of the sound wave) more often than the porpoise would if it were stationary; so it hears the frequency of the wave as being increased still more.

On the way out, we have a "moving source (porpoise) - stationary observer (fish)" situation; on the wave's return, we have a "stationary source (fish reflecting sound) - moving observer (porpoise)" situation. The change in the frequency is (nearly) the same on each leg, so the total frequency change is (about) double what would be expected from the porpoise's speed toward the fish alone. [An exact calculation shows that the shift in frequency is very close to but not exactly doubled.]

Maybe this is more discussion than you wanted...

dynamicsolo said:
OK, I'm not sure how far you've gone into the Doppler Effect in your class. The change is related to the motion toward the fish. The distinction I'm making is that two things can cause the increase in frequency:

on the outbound leg, the sound is being emitted by the moving porpoise, so the wavelength of the sound wave itself is what is being compressed; the frequency of the sound traveling toward the fish is higher than what the porpoise itself "squeaked";

on the return leg, that higher frequency is unchanged -- a portion of the sound wave simply bounces off the fish and returns toward the porpoise; however, since the porpoise is traveling into the returning sound, it passes through the "peaks and troughs" (actually, increases and decreases in the water's density caused by the pressure of the sound wave) more often than the porpoise would if it were stationary; so it hears the frequency of the wave as being increased still more.

On the way out, we have a "moving source (porpoise) - stationary observer (fish)" situation; on the wave's return, we have a "stationary source (fish reflecting sound) - moving observer (porpoise)" situation. The change in the frequency is (nearly) the same on each leg, so the total frequency change is (about) double what would be expected from the porpoise's speed toward the fish alone. [An exact calculation shows that the shift in frequency is very close to but not exactly doubled.]

Maybe this is more discussion than you wanted...

Thank you, you have been a great help

I'm taking this course through Adult School and it's all independent learning,
the booklet I have has lack of information for a complete understanding and I
should have been more responsible for finding resources but science is just a panic to me :(

Once again, I really appreciate your help

I understand the situation. I've sort of given you the introductory college physics description of the Effect (the theory goes a bit deeper still, but that's mostly refinements in the description). If you live somewhere with a good-sized library, you might want to have a look at the physics textbooks they have. One tries out texts the way one tries out shoes. You find ones that fit you the best, but they may fit you differently on another day. Not every textbook is uniformly good on every topic (I oughta know, I've looked at a bunch of 'em by now...), so you may need to look around a bit when you are learning different topics.

dynamicsolo said:
I understand the situation. I've sort of given you the introductory college physics description of the Effect (the theory goes a bit deeper still, but that's mostly refinements in the description). If you live somewhere with a good-sized library, you might want to have a look at the physics textbooks they have. One tries out texts the way one tries out shoes. You find ones that fit you the best, but they may fit you differently on another day. Not every textbook is uniformly good on every topic (I oughta know, I've looked at a bunch of 'em by now...), so you may need to look around a bit when you are learning different topics.

Thank you very much for your advice :)
I will visit a local library and take a look for reference

Related to Grade 11 Physics; Doppler Effect.

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. It is commonly observed in sound waves, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by, but it also applies to other types of waves, such as light waves.

2. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect works by changing the perceived frequency or wavelength of a wave as the source and/or observer move towards or away from each other. When the source is moving towards the observer, the waves are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency. Conversely, when the source is moving away, the waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency.

3. What is the equation for the Doppler Effect?

The equation for the Doppler Effect is: f' = f(v ± vd)/(v ± vs), where f' is the perceived frequency, f is the actual frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vd is the speed of the observer, and vs is the speed of the source. The plus or minus sign depends on the direction of the observer's and source's motion.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect has numerous real-life applications, including in radar and sonar technology, medical ultrasound imaging, and astronomy. It is also used in police radar guns and by meteorologists to track the movement of weather systems. The principles of the Doppler Effect are also utilized in the development of new technologies, such as Doppler lidar for atmospheric research.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler Effect and the Doppler Shift?

The terms "Doppler Effect" and "Doppler Shift" are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. The Doppler Effect refers to the change in frequency/wavelength of a wave perceived by an observer due to relative motion, while the Doppler Shift is the actual change in frequency/wavelength of the wave. In other words, the Doppler Effect is the perceived effect, while the Doppler Shift is the actual physical phenomenon.