Spring and Microphone (Doppler Effect...?)

In summary: Nice job!In summary, a microphone suspended from a spring attached to the ceiling vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period of 2.0 seconds. The microphone registers a frequency of 440 Hz when it is directly below a sound source emitting at a frequency of 440 Hz. The difference between the maximum and minimum sound frequencies detected by the microphone is 2.1 Hz. Using the equations for the Doppler effect and SHM, we can determine that the amplitude of the SHM of the microphone is 0.26 m, the maximum speed of the microphone is 0.82 m/s, and the spring constant is 1.2 N/m.
John123

Homework Statement

A microphone is suspended from a spring attached to the ceiling. Directly below, on the floor, is a source of sound that is emitting at f=440 Hz. The microphone vibrates vertically in simple harmonic motion (SHM) with a period of 2.0 seconds. The difference between the maximum and minimum sound frequencies detected by the microphone is 2.1 Hz. a

Determine the amplitude of the SHM of the microphone.

b. Determine the maximum speed of the microphone.

c. If the microphone has a mass of 0.120 kg, determine the spring constant k. (Take the speed of sound to be 343 m/s, and ignore all reflections of sound in the room)

Homework Equations

Doppler Effect, various frequency equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having trouble figuring out what this question is telling me. What does the final sentence about max and min sound frequencies mean?
I understand since the observer is moving towards and away from the source, giving a doppler effect, however, can I use this to find Amplitude.

How do I go about solving this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
John123 said:

Homework Statement

A microphone is suspended from a spring attached to the ceiling. Directly below, on the floor, is a source of sound that is emitting at f=440 Hz. The microphone vibrates vertically in simple harmonic motion (SHM) with a period of 2.0 seconds. The difference between the maximum and minimum sound frequencies detected by the microphone is 2.1 Hz. a

Determine the amplitude of the SHM of the microphone.

b. Determine the maximum speed of the microphone.

c. If the microphone has a mass of 0.120 kg, determine the spring constant k. (Take the speed of sound to be 343 m/s, and ignore all reflections of sound in the room)

Homework Equations

Doppler Effect, various frequency equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having trouble figuring out what this question is telling me. What does the final sentence about max and min sound frequencies mean?
I understand since the observer is moving towards and away from the source, giving a doppler effect, however, can I use this to find Amplitude.

How do I go about solving this?

Thanks.
I would start with part b.
If at some instant the microphone is moving down at speed v, what frequency will it register?

haruspex said:
I would start with part b.
If at some instant the microphone is moving down at speed v, what frequency will it register?
Itll register a frequency that is related to the doppler shift, however we don't know the doppler frequency nor do we know the velocity.

How can we solve for one of them?

Edit: wait, I am slightly guessing here, but is the frequency due to the doppler shift 440 +/- 2.1?

442.1 when the microphone is oscillating down

437.9 when it is oscillating up?

John123 said:
Itll register a frequency that is related to the doppler shift
Right, and what equation relates that to the source frequency, the receiver speed relative to the medium and the speed of sound?
John123 said:
442.1 when the microphone is oscillating down. 437.9 when it is oscillating up?
Would that match this information:
John123 said:
The difference between the maximum and minimum sound frequencies detected by the microphone is 2.1 Hz.
?

haruspex said:
Right, and what equation relates that to the source frequency, the receiver speed relative to the medium and the speed of sound?

Would that match this information:

?
Ok, I've got the correct answer, could you tell me if its the easiest/best way to do this question.

I set up two equations,

f_1 = 440(1 + Vmicro/343)
f_1 - 2.1 = 440(1 + Vmicro/343)

Made them equal to each other and solved for V, which gave the correct of answer of .82m/s.

Now, for part a). Vmax = 2piA/T

.82 = 2piA/2

A = .26 (also correct!)

c)

T = 2 pi sqr(m/k)
1/pi = sqr .120/k
k=1.2N/m

Thank you :)

John123 said:
f_1 = 440(1 + Vmicro/343)
f_1 - 2.1 = 440(1 + Vmicro/343)
Those two equations are in direct conflict. What did you mean to write? And please define your variables,,, what, exactly, is f1?

Likes Abhishek kumar
haruspex said:
Those two equations are in direct conflict. What did you mean to write? And please define your variables,,, what, exactly, is f1?

Oh oops, so I meant to write
f_1 = 440(1 + Vmicro/343) -----> (EQN: Observer moving toward source)
f_1 - 2.1 = 440(1 - Vmicro/343) -----> this equation is for the frequency as the microphone oscillates up (EQN: Observer moving away from source)

f_1 is the frequency that the microphone experiences on the way down (so the larger one)

By making the two equations equal:

440(1+Vmicro/343) = 440(1-Vmicro/343)+2.1
Divide both sides by 440
1 + Vmicro/343 = 1 - Vmicro/343 + 2.1/440
1's cancel
Move a Vmicro/343 to the other side giving 2Vmicro/343
2Vmicro/343 = 2.1/440
2.1/440 * 343 / 2 = Vmicro = .8185m/s ~ .82m/s

Answer key states:
a) 0.26 m
b) 0.82 m/s
c) 1.2 N/m

Yes, that looks good.

1. What is the Doppler Effect and how does it relate to a spring and microphone?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency of a sound wave as the source of the sound moves towards or away from the listener. In the case of a spring and microphone, the spring represents the moving source of the sound and the microphone represents the listener. As the spring moves, it causes changes in the frequency of the sound waves that are picked up by the microphone.

2. How does the Doppler Effect affect the pitch of the sound?

The Doppler Effect causes an increase in pitch when the source of the sound is moving towards the listener and a decrease in pitch when the source is moving away. This is because the sound waves are compressed in front of the moving source, resulting in a higher frequency, and stretched behind the source, resulting in a lower frequency.

3. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a car with a siren drives past you, you may notice that the pitch of the siren changes as it approaches and then moves away from you. This is due to the Doppler Effect.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in scientific research?

The Doppler Effect is used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and meteorology, to study the movement of objects and measure their velocity and direction. In medicine, the Doppler Effect is used in ultrasound technology to detect and measure blood flow. It is also used in police radar guns to measure the speed of moving vehicles.

5. Is the Doppler Effect affected by the speed of the source?

Yes, the Doppler Effect is affected by the speed of the source. The faster the source is moving, the greater the change in frequency will be. This is why the pitch of a siren on a fast-moving ambulance will change more significantly than a slow-moving car. The speed of the source also affects the direction of the change in frequency.